“Very nice room - good location - a few design issues”

Sofitel Chengdu Taihe
Ranked #17 of 2,677 Hotels in Chengdu
“Very nice room - good location - a few design issues”
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

I live in China, so my threshold for 5-star may be coming down a smidge. The staff was nice, the room was good (we were upgraded to a suite), but there were a few issues.

The bad: Sewer smell in bathroom (typical of Chinese construction), no place to plug in coffee pot. Fridge not very chilly, clear bathroom door.

The good: located near river, central to the city sights, and easy walk to subway station. Breakfast buffet in main hall was about what I expected. (Some of the food is left out a bit too long and some unlabeled). I felt generally comfortable and taxis were easy to come by.

Beds were firm by US standards, but not Chinese firm - still comfortable.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Loved Chengdu, its a very friendly city. The hotel's location is great; near the river... The best for night strolls! Also near to LKF. Really good hotel and luxurious suites... Loved the Lanvin amenities! Breakfast could be better though

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 March 2014

This is very first time me and my husband came to Chengdu and stayed at Sofitel, I have to say the loation is great, it is walking distance to the CBD, and only 10 to 15 mins taxi to all the other attactions. The staffs there are very helpful, always willing to help, sometimes they are not veyr good at Speaking English but i can see they were trying so hard to let me understand. the Front Desk Staffs are very nice, Conciege are always smiling.

Maybe because I arrived very late, they have upgrade me to a suit, the room is very nice with a good view, the only problem was the Air con was not cool enough.

The hotel looks a bit old from outside. maybe a renovation needed.

Room Tip: Ask to upgrade
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hanson X, Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Hi Coral,

Thank you very much for your comment and I guess you had a great time with your husband in Chengdu!

For the aircon problem you mentioned, we test the room temperature every day and open our aircon when the outside temperature is above 23 degree to make sure the most comfortable room temperature ( best indoor comfort level) for our guests.

Thank you again for your constructive comments and we are looking forward to your next visit!

Kind Regards,

Tina Xing

Asst. Quality Manager

Shanghai, China
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I visited Sofitel Chengdu in Feb during the CNY period. My first impression is not very good, the hotel is a bit old from the outside, located opposite to a river.

However, when I walked in, the sincere smile of the front office staff made me feel like welcome and comfortable. The atomosphere in the lobby is very heart warming. I got a free upgrade at the FD and one of the doorman escorted me to the room with my luggages. The food in hotel japanese restaurant suprised me during my stay and it's not expensive at all!!!!

The facilities in the room have seen better days but i can see that people there did a fantanstic maintenance job. The services of all hotel staff was great! I felt that I began to love this hotel as if it were an middle aged man, queit, mature and charming...

Five star, great service, good location.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Olivia,

Thank you very much for your comment and I am sure our staff will be very happy to see that!

Our excellent location and great service always makes us stand out from other five star hotels and you explained us very well!

We are looking forward to your next stay!

Best Regards,

Tina Xing

Asst. Quality Manager

Chengdu, China
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Love this hotel and it has a great location! 10 minutes you can arrive the famous sites of chengdu.
Hotel is next to the metro. The French service is very nice, every stuff speak "bonjour" that make me felt at France. The bedroom was very clean and I really like the bath products. You may try the food in hotel, I went to the Japanese restaurant, the sashimi was very fresh and the sushi within cheese was tasty. The waiters there were very friendly. I will choose Sofitel next time in chengdu!

Room Tip: Reserve the room by the riverside that have a excellent view!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Hanson X, General Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Nicole,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your wonderful experience at Sofitel Chengdu. We are grateful to learn that you had a fabulous time during your stay.

We recommend you to try our JP restaurant on the 2nd floor next time which gains widespread good comments from the Chengdu market and we offer 20% off discount to our in room guest.

Looking forward to your next stay!

Yours sincerely,

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 13 March 2014

The service level was poor, after check-in, they dont border to tell you what package you have (in my package, I have massage, roundtrip airport transfer etc). room abit outdated, poor location (need to take taxi or distance walk to shopping area or POI).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Jamey M,

Warmest greetings from Sofitel Chengdu, I hope this message finds you well.

We are always seeking feedback from our guests to understand of what they value during their stays and what can be improved to make their stay experience more memorable. However, with regards to the FO , I am sorry to learn that our FO agent didn't give you clear explanations and I have spoken to FO to ensure this will not happen again.

Warmest

Shanghai, China
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I have found the rooms to be great; the food at the European/Chinese style buffet fantastic and at competitive price & service at tables plus furthermore, the front desk people really giving great service. Breakfast really top-class and could be a benchmark for many European hotels.
I also appreciate possibility to swim and have great gym available at very convenient business hours.

Room Tip: Would be nice to have a room to the river
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Jari M M,

I am pleased to hear that you were very satisfied with our breakfast. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Don't wait so long to come and visit us!

Sofitel Luxury Hotels