“Beautiful Lobby”

Ranked #18 of 2,668 Hotels in Chengdu
West Des Moines, Iowa
“Beautiful Lobby”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stunning high Lobby. Rooms nice. Breakfsat buffet average . Pool nice ., Internet was ok. Stayed only 1 night and would have liked to stay in lovely city of Chengdu longer but was on vey busy tour and thats all we got

Front desk was more formal than other hotels .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Tina X, General Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Hrw1953,

Thanks for your comment and I have shared your comments with our FO team.

At Sofitel Chengdu, we always strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer and we do gain a very good reputation in Chengdu City, but we still continue to improve the quality of our services by listening to our guests and caring for them from heart.

We sincerely hope to have the pleasure to welcome you in the future.

Hanson Xu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney
Reviewed 6 July 2014

A good luxury hotel conveniently central and within walking distance of the main shopping district and good restaurants. It is on the river and a short walk down to some good bars and a restaurant zone. The Metro is a short walk away.

I agree with the reviewer who said the hotel is perhaps a little tired. The rooms were well-furnished but perhaps a bit worn. The air-conditioning was fairly ineffective and there was a slight problem with the window such that the noise of the construction site opposite was a bit intrusive. Ear plugs stopped this. The bed was comfortable and the amenities good.

A stand out was the concierge and guest relations staff - very helpful and could not do enough to help out.

I would return to this hotel if I were back in Chengdu.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Kleckerweise,

Thanks very much for your comment!

For the aircon problem you mentioned, I have already shared your comment with our Chief Engineer to pay attention to this, however, we regularly do thorough cleaning of the whole hotel aircon system to make sure it works efficiently.

As the earliest opened fiver star international hotel in Chengdu, we are sure that we have kept our leading position through the past 10 years as we always strive to improve our quality by listening to our guests.

We would like to thank you for your comments again and we are looking forward to your next stay.

Grand Cayman
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Affordably priced luxury hotel in Chengdu. Pretty close to the centre and on the river. Good things were that the food was generally good including - unusually for provincial China - the Western breakfast, rooms were huge (even by Chinese standards), staff were friendly and helpful, pool was nice, and WiFi was free.

On the slightly disappointing side, in the rooms a lot of the furnishing (especially in the bathrooms) is looking a little tired (lots of chips in the porcelain that haven't been fixed well), fitness centre was looking particularly old and tired, and the WiFi in the rooms was very fiddly.

Certainly not disappointed, and was good value for the money, but I might try somewhere else next time I am in Chengdu.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Rhone_Man
Tina X, General Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Rhone,

Thanks very much for your comment and we are pleasant to hear positive comments as it surely will be an encouragement to all of our staff.

Sofitel Chengdu has more than 11 years experience and is one of the earliest opened international hotel in Chengdu.

Despite our focus on services, we also have invested a great number of money in hotel overall maintenance.

New hotels with brand new facilities will be built every year, but we believe that what really makes a hotel an outstanding one is its heartful services and recognition from every customer.

We sincerely hope to have the pleasure to welcome you in the future.

Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Having stayed at Marriott for the previous few days in Shanghai, we were disappointed with this so called luxury hotel. The front counter service was poor. We have to wait almost an hour to get checked in and at last been told that there was no room as specified . We were offered upgrades to compensate but the upgraded room was filled with cigarette smoke smell despite being a non smoking room. We were overcharged for breakfast and a correction is only made after a lengthy check at the front counter and the breakfast lounge. Definitely not so luxurious as stated.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else...Not value for money
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Tina X, Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear ChiewKS,

Thanks very much for your comment and I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations.

For the breakfast issue, we have already talked with our F&B director, FO manager and Reservation Manager to make sure the accuracy, fluency and efficiency of our internal communication in order to avoid such inconvenience for your guests.

Regarding the smoking issue, I have instructed our Housekeeping manager to rectify the problem immediately. Rest assured that we will emphasize on training for the comfort of our future guests.

My apologies to you again and hope this experience will not impair your trust in our hotel and that you will give us the opportunity of welcoming you again soon.

Kind Regards,

Cary, NC
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This hotel is very nice. The staff that I encountered were all very nice and competent. The lobby is beautiful and well kept. The room I had was really a suite and it was also very nice, for the most part. By most US hotel standards, this is a very nice hotel. So why am I saying little things annoy? Well, when I compare it to the nice hotels in China and Asia in general, like Shangri-La chain, it's just not quite there. What are the little things that annoy?
1. The plug next to the desk. It's nice to have the plug right there, but the frame around the outlet prevents my adapter from plugging in all the way, making me move the desk a bit to get to the plug at the wall.
2. I drink decaf coffee and it's sometimes hard to find decaf in China. I bring Starbucks VIA instant coffee with me. There was no creamer or sugar in the room, unlike what I always find at Shangri-La.
3. The shower drain did not drain well, so the water overflows into the bathroom floor making a mini-flood zone that takes hours to dry up
4. There isn't any drawers to unpack my cloth to, despite a suite with a couch, a work area, and a large bathroom. There were no cabinets that I always find in hotels
5. The bath robes were less quality than I normally find in Asian 5 star hotels
6. There were no places to hang a wet face towel
7. At the buffet dinner, there were lots of items, but many are "just not quite right". It looks like they are trying but just couldn't quite get there
8. If you are coming from the Renming Nan Road, you have to cut through 4 lanes of traffic in about 200 feet to make the left turn into the hotel. Pretty much impossible except for late night. So you have to go down the street before making a u-turn. I know this isn't something the hotel can control, but still annoying.
9. The hot water heater in the room is the standard type you find in most Chinese hotels, but the cord is so short and there isn't a table surface you can use except at the desk that has a plug within in the distance of the hot water heater. I had to put it on the floor.
10. There isn't anywhere within easy (5 min or 10 min) walking distance to get food.
11. When I ordered room service breakfast at 6:30, asking for a 7:00 deliver (because I wanted to take a shower and wanted plenty of time before they delivered it), I was told it would be ready in 20 minutes and it was going to get cold if it was delivered at 7:00. I told them to start the prep 10 minutes later then. She sounded a bit annoyed and said she will have to ask the kitchen!! Well, I did get it at 7:00 exactly and it was still warm, but not "hot". Not sure if they actually started it later and it just got a bit less hot during the delivery process or they actually started early and let it sit there. Regardless, I found the order taker's response very odd and not customer centric.

I know some of these items are nit-picky, but I do wonder if anyone from the hotel has stayed in one of the rooms and view it as a guest. It's these little things that differentiate the hotel. Nothing is seriously wrong. Vast majority of the hotel is very nice. The staff is competent but just not quite to the standards of Shangri-La (but then again, I have not found a hotel in China that has the level of service that Shangri-La has (multiple locations).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank viperflt
Dear Viperflt,

Thanks very much for your detailed comment and we appreciate all your suggestions and recognition.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

For things you pointed out like the Hot Water Heater, you will be surprised to find out next time in our hotel that we did make some changes and bring more inconvenience to our guests!

We are looking forward to your next stay and thanks again for all your efforts in making us a better hotel!

Helston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We decided to stay at this hotel, despite some of the rather negative and picky reviews we had read. The first person we met from the hotel was the effusive and very helpful concierge manager, Ricky. I have to say he went above and beyond his duty by going back to the airport with me as I had left my notepad behind and he would not accept defeat and eventually we got it back. He refused to accept a tip and was delighted that we had chosen his hotel as a base to see the pandas at chengdu and bifengxia. When we got back to the hotel we were upgraded to the executive suites on level 20. The rooms were large roomy clean and excellent value. The only complaint i can think of is the chinese delight in using their horns when driving (and thats an experience in itself :) ) even in the middle of the night! . We only had breakfast in the hotel, it was quite an experience with quite a large choice of food given the few people who seemed to use it. The staff were very friendly and unfailing in their desire to help you. When we wanted a taxi, we used the concierge service and they never had a problem stopping one for us.
The hotel is within 15 minutes walk of the city centre and 10 minutes from the peoples park. Both are quite an eye opener in their own way but I wont tell you why, its more interesting to find out yourself.

My wife did the panda photo experience at the panda base in chengdu and it was very expensive, it cost £200 but it was a birthday present and a life long ambition. We also went to the panda research institute at Bifengxia. The cost to be a volunteer there was only £10 and it was a very different experience, Instead of 10 minutes that we got at chengdu, my wife got about four hours, she cleaned out panda cages, prepared the bamboo by whacking it on the floor, weighed and cut up the apple, carrot and panda cake (yep, but it tastes disgusting!!!!) and then she fed the pandas by hand. Such gentle creatures, it was beautiful to see.

We saw literally hundreds of pandas during the week and my wife absolutely loved it so if you are a fellow panda lover then come to chengdu, you'll be delighted.

Fantastic hotel, we would happily recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: The higher level rooms are definetly quieter.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Tina X, Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Bonjour Tony,

Thanks very much for your comment on Tripadvisor! We are delighted to read your comment that you have enjoyed a five star experience all the way. This is what we strive for at Sofitel and your compliments are very motivating.

We have shared your review with our Chief Concierge Ricky and the staff like him are all our valued assets.

We are looking forward to your next stay and don't let your Panda friends wait too long!

Tina Xing

Asst. Guest Experience Manager

Brisbane
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I was very excited to stay at this hotel (since we had thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square) but was very disappointed and would not stay at this hotel again. The issues I noted were in themselves only minor but there were so many of them I began to think the main thing this hotel needs is a change in management. We had booked a twin room (father and daughter travelling together) but were given a king room .... OK these things happen and they fixed it by putting a single foldaway bed in the room (foldaway bed was uncomfortable but it was late at night and I can pretty much sleep anywhere so I didn't complain). Bigger problem was the bad bathroom design ... no door and and no privacy for the shower....one person had to basically leave the room while the other had a shower. Also no towel rails in the bathroom and yet it was a huge bathroom. Also no box of tissues in the bathroom...just a few tissues stuffed into the box to make it look like there were some there. No soap in most of the dispensers in the public washrooms. Vases on the tables in the bar had wilted flowers in slimey water ... would have been better with no vase at all. Breakfast in the restaurant was very basic with little variety, totally incorrect labels on many of the dishes, cold fried eggs (and other items that should have been hot), stale bread rolls, and really bad service. our first room was supposed to be non-smoking but there was an ashtray and box on matches on the coffee table. Our itinerary included a return night at this hotel after visiting a nearby city and we asked them to be sure we had a twin room and door on the bathroom for our return stay (they didn't understand the bathroom issue)...we were given a twin room on a non-smoking floor but the room reeked of cigarette smoke. We had supposedly booked 5 star accommodation for our trip... there is no way this hotel would reach even 4 star status in my opinion.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel. Non-smoking rooms may still reek of cigarette smoke.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Tina X, Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Bonjour Kate,

Please accept our sincerest apologies for not meeting your expectations. We would like to thank you for your detailed comments through which we can see our mistakes and improve in the future.

Some of the areas you pointed out are by no means acceptable in a five star hotel. Please rest assured that we are taking immediate actions to prevent future occurrence.

I do hope that we will get the opportunity to welcome you back and better serve you in future.

Tina Xing