“New hotel and good service, shame about room maintenance”

The Ritz-Carlton, Chengdu
Ranked #1 of 2,783 Hotels in Chengdu
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This hotel has a lot going for it: brand new, nice room decor, central location, responsive staff and good value. It is too bad, however, that the room maintenance and functioning has a lot to be desired, especially for a hotel of such class. Am not going into much detail, as the staff responded quickly to complaints, moving me to an upgraded room and otherwise being very helpful. Their service saved the day.

Room Tip: Non-corner rooms have more light, better views and more traditional layout.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BobMQC
Chris C, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Chengdu, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experience in regards to your recent stay! I very appreciate your positive comments on our hotel, location, ladies and gentlemen and value. I would like to find out more information in regards to the room issues. If you would be so kind as to email me directly at chris.clark@ritzcarlton.com I would very much appreciate learning more. Warm regards, Chris Clark, General Manager

Reviewed 16 June 2014

My brother and I decided to stay here for 2 nights during a trip to Chengdu. Although it was not the highest rated on trip advisor due to being new and having few reviews we were sold when we looked at the pictures and read decent reviews.

When arriving at the hotel, the exterior is not that impressive due to the hotel being located in the top of the building and apparently they are not allowed to make a big deal out of the entrance. Once you walk in though it changes quite a bit, the finish/design inside is excellent and gives off a very classy feel. Sadly with the lift setup we had to take our own bags up to reception which needs to change, especially for families that have lots of luggage and small children.

The reception/concierge area is beautiful with great views of the city. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful and spoke English well enough to deal with all our needs/requests.

We quickly checked in and went to our room, a standard twin room. I quite liked the decorating in the room but found it to be a little heavy/ott with some of it. The bathroom is excellent but suffers badly for terrible ventilation, once you have a shower/bath it becomes very warm in there and does not seem to cool down unless you have the doors open and slowly the rooms AC kicks in. The toilet is fantastic. The rooms AC struggled to go below 22, I believe we had it set to 17/18 for 2 days straight and it never went lower than 22. The cleaning was very good and the room felt brand new, TV speakers/sound was poor. The drinking water provided is not great. Overall we liked the rooms but with the points mentioned above they could become even better.

As we arrived late evening to the hotel, once we had checked in we wanted to go for a drink in the Flair bar, it was a Thursday evening at midnight so we thought it would be easy to get a drink... As we arrived, we were greeted by a host that did not seem happy to see us. We stated we wanted to go outside and have a drink and enjoy the view, it was not busy and the sofas were free so we asked if we could sit there. The host stated that there was a minimum spend and it was getting late as the bar closed at 1am... Once we were given menus, I ordered a drink but my brother was not ready, instead of going to get my drink the host stood very close to my brother waiting for him to pick a drink whilst checking her watch. It was strange as no one else in the bar seemed to have this persons attitude and we didn't see her on the next night.

The following evening we decided to dine in Li Xuan, sadly we found the food poor but the view/service was excellent. We also started speaking to Lucy who was the manager that evening. She was very easy to talk to and polite and had great knowledge about places we had stayed around the world and where she had worked previously. She wanted to know how our stay was going at the hotel and we explained our bad experience in the flair bar on the previous evening. She was surprised and disappointed to hear this, she asked if we would be going there again that evening as its open late till 2am with live music/entertainment. She insisted that she reserved us a nice table. When we finished our meal she escorted us up personally to the bar and took us to our table and introduced us to the deputy manager and asked him to look after us. We thanked Lucy for her excellent hospitality, she is a real asset to this hotel and to be honest needs to be promoted to a position where she can help look after guests/staff to ensure the kind of attitude the host at the bar had on our first night. She is very interested about how the guests experience is going and how she and the hotel can improve it.

We had a great time in the bar on our final night, there was a live DJ with saxophonist playing for most of the night, the deputy manager took great care of us, later in the evening the manager from Austria (apologies for not remembering the name) came over and apologised for our previous nights treatment and wanted to make sure we were having a good evening. Both my brother and I agreed its one of the best if not the best bar we have ever been in for relaxing with a view and great drinks.

Breakfast was excellent but a little bit expensive if I remember correctly. The indoor pool is impressive but the room is way to hot. Its uncomfortable to sit on the lounger due to it being about 28 degrees in there so you either go in the pool or leave.

We checked out the following morning as we were flying on to hong kong. We really enjoyed our stay and if we went back to Chengdu we would stay here again. The reason my review was not 5 stars is due to the first nights issues and small issues that need resolving with the rooms. Once those issues are rectified it fully deserves 5 stars.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank George_Talbot3
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I have been travel traveling to Chengdu for over a decade and have stayed at other five stars more than 20 times with generally good experiences. It had been a couple years since my last visit and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the Ritz Carlton has opened a property. I have been staying at the Ritz Carlton in Osaka for 15 years and love the service there. My experience at Ritz Carltons on the US has not been as good as in Osaka but Ritz does have a consistently good product.

Having spent several days in Xining and Lhasa, I was looking forward to having a first class experience. The Ritz in Chengdu has a good location near Tianfu and the famous statue of Mao.
The staff greeted me warmly and made sure I was not confused by the fact the check-in desk is on the 25th floor. As I checked in, one of the young staff carefully explained the hotel lay-out and slightly complicated multiple elevators . I was told that due to my Ritz status I was being upgraded and I quickly confirmed a car to the airport for my flight the next morning.

I was escorted to the room and given an explanation of how things worked. Unneeded but appreciated as I could seen their was a genuine attitude of providing good service. The room was great - typical of the high standard of Ritz Carltons. My view from the 38th floor was as good as can be expected in normally hazy Chengdu.

I had a busy schedule so I didn't spend that much time in the hotel and actually wished I had another day to enjoy the facility. My rating of "very good" rather than excellent is only because I encountered a higher number of staff members that couldn't speak English than I expected. I travel all over China and often stay in hotels where virtually no English is spoken so in general I don't consider that an issue except for the fact that I have such high expectations of Ritz Carlton standards it was noted. This property has been open a limited time and I am sure with the kind of training Ritz does English will be more prevalent.

Anyone visiting Chengdu should do themselves a favor and try this property.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank lithiumsan
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Businss trip in Chengdu and stayed in Ritz for 2 nights. It is a farily new hotel in good location and with very good facility. However, the service is totally not Ritz-Carlton standard or even not comparable to a normal 5 star hotel.

Had dinner, breakfast and lunch at SPICES. There is not too much choice on food and no specialty on Sichuang food. This is totally a disadvantage as usually people to Chengdu has high expectation to food. What's even worse is the service here, takes very looooong time or must ask for a few times for them to refill water or change plate. Is this a Ritz hotel?

Stayed in FLAIR Bar, it's good view. But again, it was served by un-quolified staffs. When leaving the bar, the staff showed us to the lift to lobby and must change another lift to the room, but there are lift can directly take us to the room in another exit. Reminder them a few times, finally and reluctantly guided us to the right lift.

Finally, it's very noise stay at 28th floor as the bar is at 27th floor. Isn't the wall sound proof??

Net, disappointed. The guest deserve better care and service from the hotel, especially it's called Ritz.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Jude L
Chris C, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Chengdu, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with me. I would like to sincerely apologize that the service you experienced truly does not reflect in the level of service one comes to expect from a Ritz-Carlton Hotel. I do value your feedback as this will give us a chance to improve our service in an effort to ensure future guests do not experience experience what you did. I assure you that all of our ladies and gentlemen are committed to excellence and sincerely apologize that we let you down. If you would be so kind as to contact me directly by phone or email: chris.clark@ritzcarlton.com or 86-28-8359-9688 I would love to have the chance to learn more and apologize to you directly. Thank you again and warm regards,Chris Clark General Manager

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights. This hotel sits on top of a shopping centre. It is the cleanest hotel we stayed at in China. Everything is what you expect from the brand. Didn't rate 5 star because it's a Ritz-Carlton and staff on the ground floor doesn't help with luggage, we walked past 3 staff standing at the bell desk who saw but ignored us while we entered the hotel lugging our suitcases. It was around 11pm at night.
Room: clean, everything works, nespresso coffee machine, slippers and bathrobe provided,turn down service, free shoe shine service etc everything to the standard expected of a excellent 5 star.
Bathroom: all marble, very clean, separate bath and shower, Japanese toilet with lots of features, Lanvin amenities.
Breakfast: great selection of Western, Chinese, Japanese items. Food is of high quality.
Service: reception and concierge staff are fluent in English and very helpful. Door staff on the ground floor tend to slack off at night but are very helpful during the day.
Location: reasonable location, most places in the city are not too far in a taxi. We've found that most drivers doesn't know the hotel location ( we said the hotel's name in Mandarin). The street it's located on is known by all the taxi drivers we came across. The address on cards given out are too small for taxi drivers to read in poor light so if you can't speak mandarin ask staff to write the address in large characters on a piece of paper to give to the drivers.

Room Tip: No point in a high floor because of the smog, you won't see very far so the lower rooms probably...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BM L
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Albeit a short stay, I absolutely loved my experience at the Ritz Carlton Chengdu. The staff were extremely attentive, smiley, and possessed a fairly proficient English.

The room was very well appointed and very well maintained, living up to the Ritz standards. I hosted a meeting at the hotel and the conference facilities and staff were top notch.

I'll be back soon.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JYG61
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Although we have stayed in many five star hotels in the past years, we had never been in a Ritz Carlton before this stay. We are now officially converted! The Ritz Carlton in Chengdu is probably the best hotel we have ever stayed in. It is modern and new and exceptionally clean.
We stayed on the club floor and all the staff were brilliant, especially in the club lounge and gym. They were always willing to help with suggestions on where to visit and where to eat. The service was outstanding and their English very good. They could not do enough for us.
Our room was excellent, with a very comfortable bed, marble bathroom with plenty of room and very fancy toilet with controls that were quite complicated!
The location is really central so it is not too far to any of the attractions. The gym is really well equipped including lots of treadmills and steppers and also weights machines so there is no worry about having to wait for a treadmill or anything like is often the case in hotel gyms.
The club lounge serves food and drinks throughout the day, not just at night time so it is really worth spending the extra for a club room. It's just nice to have somewhere to go and talk throughout the day.
If you are looking for a luxury hotel at a great rate with excellent service then you could not go past the Ritz Carlton.

Room Tip: Go for the club floors
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple