“very nice indeed”

New Century Grand Hotel Ningbo
Ranked #17 of 788 Hotels in Ningbo
Reviewed 27 March 2014

great room, almost a little too big. I love the glass double sink, seamless glass counter top. And you can watch TV/movie while relaxing in the bath tub, speakers in the bathroom separated by a glass wall. And nice and comfortable bed. I have stayed for the at least 4 years, though I see the wear and tear in the Stone in the shower. But it is still a very nice room. And love their complimentary breakfast, much better selection than their dinner buffet.

Room Tip: I always get the delux rooms on 20th floor, non smoking King size bed. Can't go wrong with them.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank cmakc

Reviewed 3 January 2014

My stay at this hotel was extremely frustrating and I will not be returning and would not recommend this to any westerner who doesn't speak mandarin.

One of the main reasons is that there are so few english speaking staff. I found it impossible to order an earl grey tea at breakfast and had to use sign language just to procure a spoon. The prestige lounge was anything but prestigious as the little food that was there appeared to have been sitting there all day and was decidedly dried up. The drinks menu (as with all menus in the hotel) was a tablet but the menu was all in chinese and the girl on duty spoke no english and I speak no mandarin so I had to go from the 21st floor to reception to find a manager just to order a green tea.

The food selection available in the restaurants and also on the room service menu does not cater sufficiently for foreign business travelers or tourists. When I wanted to go for a swim I decided to check out the facilities to see if I needed a swim hat or towel and again could not make my self understood so back I went to reception to find someone to translate and communicate my needs.

Attempting to order room service yet again required a visit to reception which was unsatisfactory. The room service menu says to ask for a wine list but then I was told there was no wine in the hotel. Out of total frustration for dinner I eventually opted for a can of nuts from the mini bar and a bottle of heineken (I'm not a beer drinker)!!!

My room was on a no smoking floor but there was still a lingering smell of smoke in the air. When I ran a shower this seemed more extreme. The room felt a bit cramped and there was insufficient storage space for luggage or for clothing. Every available drawer seemed to be crammed full of hotel folders, torches, dressing gowns etc etc.

This was my second time staying at this hotel. My last visit was in july 2013, I had spent much less time in the hotel during that visit but the suitability for foreign visitors does appear to have deteriorated. The hotel lobby looks pleasant and the staff are all quite sweet and try to be helpful but I was greeted by nervous giggles and blank looks too often that it really tested my patience. It's been a very long four days!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I booked a room on the executive floor following the recommendation of a business friend. The check in process was horrible. Without asking my smoking preference, the staff just gave me a room at 22nd floor, a smoking floor. After returning to the hotel room at night, I found out that the air conditioner is not working, the room temperature went up from 75 to 81 degree Fahrenheit after I set the temperature at 68 degree. The hotel staff, an on duty front desk manager, lied to me about city policy that prohibits to turn on the air conditioner even though the room was like an oven. I had to asked him to move to another nonsmoking room but had to set on a room not on the executive floor. The so called "Executive Lounge" seemed to be never open. I stayed there for 3 nights and was not able to access to it because it was always closed. It is a brand new hotel and had some lavish decoration, unfortunately with poor taste. It is basically a domestic hotel and the services really are not up to the international standards. For business travelers used to the good services, I'd stay away from this hotel

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank The_L0nely_Traveler
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Soft beds in China are sometimes difficult to find - this hotel has them.

Room was very nice and clean. Good TV with HBO. Internet worked well.

Large breakfast buffet.

Staff spoke English.

This place was great.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights on March18 - 20, 2013. Spacious and luxurious lobby and grounds. Breakfast buffet is a highlight with a large selection and attentive staff. I only had two issues with this hotel. First, they only have wired internet access in the guest rooms. If you want wireless you have to request it and they will bring a wireless modem to your room. Unfortunately they have a limited number of these and are usually all committed. They promised me on for my second day and then did not deliver.

Second, my room was hot and stuffy. I turned the thermostat all the way down but as I have experienced in many Chinese hotels, there is one central system and unless that central a/c system is turned on you will not get any cool air in your room. My room was 79 degrees F the entire time I was there. I asked at the front desk to get my room cooled down and nothing happenned.

Unlike previous reviews, I found the service staff did speak some english and was able to communicate fine. I guess if you expected english fluency you would be disappointed, but they speak enough to get the job done.

Overall this is a nice hotel and a Chinese brand.. Good amenities, well appointed room, some english movie channels in addition to world CNN and BBC, good internet (although wired only) in room, and pleasant staff.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank PrinterGuy
Reviewed 6 March 2013

The room looks brand new (see photos) and is tastefully designed (think Shangri-La but with a modern oriental accent).

Stayed in the Prestige Club room - overall an excellent 5-star experience (great room and service standards).

The good:
- Spacious, modern and tastefully-designed rooms (and toilet shower)

- Excellent service from the staff (they go out of their way to make you feel at home - the staff helps guide me to the lift lobby after dinner; the swimming pool locker room has staff that are on stand-by to help you; the housekeeping staff has thoughtful room turn-down service that includes helping to unpack the hair-dryer. All of these little actions speaks volumes about the good service standards)

- Free wifi (there's a free dedicated wireless router in the room - saw another review that not all floors have wireless wifi - so perhaps good to ask during check-in)

The bad (sorry, nit-picking here):
- no elevated "luggage rack" in the room
- the large deposit box in the room was not bolt to the wall

I had stayed at another 5-star hotel on my previous trip to Ningbo, and regret not choosing to stay at New Century Grand Hotel earlier.

Recommended for both business and leisure travellers who appreciate luxurious hotel rooms (especially one with a beautiful oriental flair) and great service standards.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank JustRun4Fun
Reviewed 27 December 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights as I was in Ningbo to attend a seminar on"Rare earths and Rare Earth magnets". Everything at hotel is almost perfect except English speaking staff. Staff is so co-operative that when I asked where the ATM machine is , the girl at reception instead of explaining the direction to me , accompanied me to the ATM . Rooms , bathrooms and loby every place is made with good taste. But be prepared to repeat twice or thrice before you get answer of your question from the staff.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business