“Ab Fab!”
Review of The Westin Ningbo

The Westin Ningbo
Ranked #12 of 782 Hotels in Ningbo
Reviewed 24 November 2012

Stayed here 18-21 Nov, Ab Fab! Great Staff, top quality, way better than the Le Meridian Xiamen! Would recommend for anyone to stay here, great surrounding area for shopping and eating. Wide choice of TV channels, various restaurants and bars within the hotel itself.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
The Westin N, Manager at The Westin Ningbo, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay The Westin Ningbo! The convenient location is one of the important factors for guest to choose our hotel. We devote in provide the most meticulous service to ensure each visit leaves you feeling better than when you arrived. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed 9 November 2012

I visit Ningbo twice per year every year for a week to visit our buying office.I have tried all the 5 star hotels in Ningbo.Having stayed at the Westin in Guangzhou I was looking forward to trying the new Westin in Ningbo.Booked to stay for 4 days at a good rate including breakfast.
What a disappointment.There is no way this is 5 star,4 star is more like it and the food and service is 3 star.

The Lobby

Very small and contemporary but staff were eager to please.A good welcome.
There is a lack of ample seating areas to wait for visitors or to have a short meeting like in other 5 star hotels.On the 2 occasions I was waiting for someone I had to stand ,as all of the seats were taken.

The rooms.
Stayed in a renwal room which is not the lowest category.
Not very large but has everything you need including the superb Westin Heavenly Bed.The sofa is a nice touch .Bathroom is nice with seperate shower and toilet are well designed.
The full length windows gave a good view of the city and the river.
Rooms are noisy though,you can hear people talking in the corridor and was woken on 2 nights by returning residents.When an adjacent door shuts your door shakes and rattles.Worrying on the 29th floor.
Rooms are very 'stuffy' windows are locked and aircon doesn't work.I was advised it is switched off for winter.Temperature in my room according to my phone was 27 degrees.On complaining I was advised that if I signed a waiver a small window could be unlocked.This allowed the traffic noise and smog into the room.

The Gym,Pool and spa.
This is a big attraction for me as I work out every day.as jogging in Ningbo is a dangerous activity.
The Gym was OK if a little small with not much equipment by 5 star standards(much smaller than the Sheraton the Nanyuan or Shangri-La gyms in Ningbo.
The big disappointment was the spa and pool.Pool was closed for re-building(after hotel was opened 4 months ago!)and the spa in the changing room was a joke.No Sauna,Steam room wasn't working properly and there are no controls or staff to turn it on or adjust the temperature.
The jacuzzi was empty of water every day and I never once saw a staff member in the locker rooms.Dirty towels overflowing from baskets and a general look of neglect.

The main restaurant mainly serves Buffet style although I beleive a la carte was available.
Breakfast was included and was OK but nothing compared to the Westin in Guangzhou or Shangri-La Ningbo but I guess you get what you pay for.As its included in the rate ,there is no incentive to excel.It was just so ordinary for a 5 star ,no freshly squeezed to order juices,no big choice of international breads.After 2 days of the same I was not that keen to go back.
In the evening they serve a buffet for CNY 398 including tax.I should have got the warning when I was told it was 2 for 1 for guests of the hotel.
The food was poor.A lot of different stations but not well thought out or served.Some of the food was cold,some was overcooked and others just plain bizarre.Who serves a nice Indian Lamb Curry but has no basmati rice or Naan bread to accompany it?
The staff seemed lifeless and poorly trained.Plates were not cleared promptly,fresh cutlery had to be asked for every time.Drinks were not re-filled without asking.All very tiresome and definetly not 5 star.No wonder the restaurant was virtually empty with so many choices in the Bund.

Conclusion

If you like the Westin bed and the room warm you won't be disappointed with the room.
The rate at the moment is good,half the price of Shangri-La,but if you look for the extras from a 5 star you will ,like me,be disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank NEILCAntigua
The Westin N, Manager at The Westin Ningbo, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2012

Thank you for posting your feedback from your visit with us. We effort to create a stylish, luxurious hotel in town. Therefore On the room size and landscape is different. I want to apologize for the inconveniences you went through at our hotel. We are taking immediate action to improve our front desk performance both in staffing and service training. Thank you again for taking time to review our hotel as your comments are key to our continuous improvement.

Reviewed 29 October 2012

what a great hotel, new, all clean, helpfull staff, not perfect english but they try. i would certainly stay there again if the price continue where it is now. great location, full of great shopping and eating locations around.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
The Westin N, Manager at The Westin Ningbo, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2012

Reviewed 17 October 2012

I was surprised by this hotel.
Excellent location in the center of the city close to Tian Yi square.

Executive club friendly with attentive staff.
Room quite new with nice furnishing
Room service excellent.

To be considered for business trip . Far more intersting than crowne plaza which is very close for a similar price.

Room Tip: try executive floor
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your pleasant experience, and very pleased that you recognized for our services. We will continue to strive to be more considerate and attentive service to welcome you back! We effort to create a stylish, luxurious hotel in town, Therefore On the room size and landscape is different, we recommend that you can try the Renewal Room and Premium Room for your nest stay.

Reviewed 14 October 2012

I have lived in both Sheraton and Westin at Ningbo, and there's no comparison. Westin is the choice. First the location is right at the center of Ningbo, and you get a great view of the rivers converging. They are also right next to the Tian-Yi Square which has lots of eatery and some shops. Also, they are walking distance from the Old Bund, which has lots of restaurants, bars, and a great nightlife.

The hotel is very new and the SPG members room that I've stayed in are great. Typical Westin amenities. But the bathtub is too small for your average American in my opinion, but I guess big enough for local Chinese people. One thing I do have to say is they are starting to cut some amenities. Last time I stayed I noticed they don't give out the shaver anymore. When I travel on business I tend to want to travel very light and use as much hotel amenities as possible, that's why we stay at 5-star hotels. Cutting cheap on shaver is too much in my opinion.

The staff is very friendly although not everyone speaks English, but I never had any problem finding at least one person that speaks understandable English. The Chinese restaurant at Westin is very good, and the breakfast buffet is adequate.

Not many people realized this but next to Tian-Yi is the most luxurious shopping in Ningbo. If you are budget traveler don't bother going there, but if you like to window shop, it's nice to walk around there (although the subway construction kind of ruin it.)

I must say, I travel to Ningbo regularly on business and I have stayed at Sheraton, and really there's no comparison, Westin is that much better.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Staid there for one night. Location is just great, next to TianYinS Square. Hotel is brand new, rooms are nicely equipped. Only thing I missed, was a rack for my suitcase. Kneeling down to get my clothes sorted out is something I personally do not like to much. Staff is still very fresh, very helpful, sometimes a little bit too much. Their English skills are yet to be improved. Breakfast was good as expected by Westin.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I came to Ningbo for work, and until I had the chance to go to Ningbo, I really didn't know the place existed. The Westin still feels relatively new, and because of construction of the subway system the drive from the airport took about 1 hour and cost around 60RMB.

I had room 1605. I did not have much of a view, in fact it looked into a building but if I angled myself well, I could look out over the city. There are many, many channels on the television including some international ones in languages other than English and Chinese. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was huge with a tub built for 4-5 people. There are separate rooms for the shower and toilet when look out a window I couldn't figure out how to close, so don't be bashful.

There is a large safe in the room by the door. It is kind of a drop safe, I mean it opens at the top, and it is large enough for a big laptop, my camera, and a few other things in a go. I only stayed one night, so I cannot say too much more about the hotel.

It does seem that they took to heart the early reviews which noted the lack of English with the staff. Mind you not everyone is speaking the King's English, but there are select staff seemingly always available which do speak English.

With Tianhe Square across the street, you'll want for nothing while staying at the hotel. Across the large piazza, there is a very good foot massage place in the square, as well as a local restaurant of so-so quality. The unique thing about the restaurant is the menu is all the dishes on display (I think some real, some wax). You choose what you want by sight, and then sit. They'll bring it up to you.

If you have a chance you can go to the campus of Nottingham University. It's a local branch but a pretty large and very nice campus. You might forget you're in Ningbo.

Room Tip: So, double check with the hotel when you book first. I booked through my corporate travel agent and...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Azhkman
The Westin N, Manager at The Westin Ningbo, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

Thank you so much for your review and sharing your experience with us. We appreciate your comments regarding the good location, facilities as well as our service. We are very happy to have you with us and we will continue to strive to provide the signature Westin experience to all our valuable guests. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Ningbo.