“good hotel perfect for business”

Howard Johnson Plaza Ningbo
Ranked #10 of 790 Hotels in Ningbo
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is i think my third review of this hotel. The rooms are very comfortable especially the executive rooms where you can also use the executive club lounge on the 19th floor. Happy hour is from around 5 to 8pm with free drinks and nibbles in the lounge.

There is a huge choice of pillows and if you book a club or executive room you get your own Butler which is rather nice and old fashioned. What's wrong with old fashioned it's great and one reason I stay at this Hotel.

Very conveniently situated in the city close to most things. The staff are very friendly and helpful even though I have noticed there are fewer English speaking than in the past, sometimes it is difficult to get them to understand what you want. Some of the staff in the downstairs bar are grumpy and I really think the hotel should address this as they are the front line staff many people will judge the hotel by. Be aware of course like most Hotels in China 95% of the guests are now Chinese not Western so the hotel will cater for Chinese guests perhaps more than Western.

All in all after staying here for over 10 years now quite a number of times I would recommend this hotel for value and comfort. The food particularly breakfast is very nice and of course there are many restaurants near by. If you have any problems ask for Mr. Andrew Herdman who is the Guest Manager and is English so it is easy to talk to someone if you have a complaint or want some local knowledge.

Room Tip: chose an executive room at very little extra cost.
1  Thank white100

Reviewed 25 May 2014

My travel agent set me up in this hotel during my business trip to Ningbo and everything was great! The rooms were beautiful, very clean and well maintained. My room had an excellent view of the city and the bar / cafe were very well staffed with great American food choices. There were lots of things to see within en easy walking distance and taxi cabs were everywhere.

Room Tip: The rooms all seemed to be of equal quality from what I could tell.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stay in this hotel for one week and my opinion is the one of the best hotel in the area.
it's my first time in this hotel but i feel like my home, all staff very friendly, smilling and have a very good service iin the reception, restaurants and bars and of course room service.
special thanks to Mr Terry Chen which assist me very well with his good knowledge of english, during our stay in the hotel and guide me in the near area as well as shopping mall, which is very important for me. i think is the right person in a right position he is very friendly and polite.
Generally the hotel and staff is very good and I suggest to everyone to stay and enjoy the holidays.

Room Tip: all are very good
1  Thank MICHAIL F
Reviewed 9 May 2014

After reading a few negative reviews of the Hotel, I was cautious to say the least. When told we were being sent to 'block B' I was mortified.

The reception was sweet and amazing, hot towels and tea, lovely staff. The live music in the foyer was a great touch.

The suite was two large comfortable rooms with free wifi, a '14 pillow menu' and a great shower. Unfortunately the mattress was far to firm.

The gym facilities were limited and dated. The advertised sauna was also know here to be found.

The standard breakfast buffet was a solid selection of Chinese and western, with reasonable coffee available.

Overall a fantastic experience, staff were 10/10.

I will definitely be back.

Hambone

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel based on the reviews from this site. The room itself was nice enough, though nothing special for this price range in Ningbo and China. However, I was surprised to be put in a room which did not even have an outside window. The manager said that customers who do not pay for a better room do not get a room with a window. I travel to 2-3 cities a week for work and always spend roughly the same amount - so far I am yet to be placed in a room without a window and consider it scandalous that a hotel can consider itself to be 5 star yet treat ANY of its customers this way, regardless of how much they pay. This was a particulary big issue as it spoilt the room which was in perpetual 'night time mode' - meaning it was dark and no natural sunlight.

The service was as advertised and I can't really complain about it, they go out of their way to help you, provide you with tea at check in etc. Once I got to my room (with the assistance of 3 staff members!) I had to wait for 5 long minutes whilst the butler gave me a run down on everything in the hotel - I just wanted to be left alone and relax (they have a butler but no windows!)

To be fair, apart from the lack of a window the room was nice enough, clean and spacious. Breakfast was your standard buffet and on par with other hotels in the price range. Staff were friendly.

Room Tip: Ask if they may offer you a free' window with your room!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We have not written a review before but feel compelled to write something about the Howard Johnson Ningbo. From the time you arrive and are escorted to the front desk where you receive warm towels, tea and a friendly welcome from the staff this hotel exceeds all expectations. We stayed here last year and were very impressed. This visit we were lucky enough to receive an upgrade to the Club floor where our personal "Butler" Cherry assisted us and provided drinks, biscuits, fresh milk and a small gift. During the stay every staff member we encountered regardless of position greeted us with a friendly smile. Nothing was too much.

An example of the lengths the staff go to occurred on our first night when we were due to meet the Chinese parents of one of our students. We had organised an interpreter who failed to arrive. The parents could not speak English and had travelled 2 hours to meet us. We were very embarrassed. The Service Manager Andrew Herdman could see our distress and when we explained our situation organised for one of the staff Jessie Zhang (Service Director) to be our interpreter. She happily assisted us for 30 minutes. We are so grateful for her assistance.

Thank you to all the staff we encountered Andrew, Jessie, Cherry and Crystal (Butlers), Amy our housekeeper and all the staff on the Club lounge.

I suggest that if you are interested in working in hospitality or attending customer service training you just stay two nights at this hotel. it would be money well spent.

Peter and Connie (Melbourne Australia)

Room Tip: 14th floor had excellent rooms
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank peter r
Andrew H, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Ningbo, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Dear Guest peter r,

On behalf of the staff and management of Howard Johnson Plaza Ningbo I would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much for taking the time to post your review of your recent visit to our hotel on www.tripadvisor.com

We appreciate your kind comments are very pleased to learn that you find our hotel exceeds all expectations. Your appreciation has been passed on to the members of staff you have mentioned by name, we very much value your positive feedback it is a great encouragement to all members of staff involved in making your stay as comfortable as possible.

We thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Plaza Ningbo and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Kind regards

Andrew Herdman
Personal Assistant to the General Manager
Sunday 4th May 2014

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Staying in the hotel right now. Room 1602. Ac not working. Any kind of room service takes more than 30 mins. When asked the chef to prepare scrambled eggs. He passed on a plate of cold fried eggs already prepared. His reasoning was its 10 am. Their closure time. Can't even wait for a minute!!!!!! This was my 7-8th visit to this hotel. And they were very good bfor and I looked forward to coming back but not anymore.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sudhanshu B
Andrew H, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Ningbo, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Dear Guest Sudhanshu B,

On behalf of the staff and management of Howard Johnson Plaza Ningbo thank you very much for taking the time to post your review of your recent visit to our hotel on www.tripadvisor.com

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the disappointment you experienced during your stay with us. Thank you for bringing to my attention the issues regarding the air conditioning not working in your room, the length of time taken for Room Service to be delivered and the unacceptable standard of service experienced during breakfast. We are following up on all of these issues.

If I can be of any further assistance to you please feel free to contact me directly by email at hojo.ningbo@gmail.com and I would be more than happy to discuss these or any other matters with you further.

I thank you for your continued support of Howard Johnson Plaza Ningbo, I hope i have the opportunity to welcome you back again very soon.

Kind regards