“Dirty and cockroaches. Would not go there again.”
Review of Genova Hotel

Genova Hotel
Genova Hotel
Ranked #24 of 59 Hotels in Barranquilla
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Stayed in this hotel for one night only.

While the photo's show a nice hotel, this is not the case. Maybe for the renovated rooms, but not for mine.

AC was not to nearly not operating. So it was around 25 degrees in the room at night.

The bed was rock hard. Some people like that, of course, however I woke up with 1 side of my body almost locked up.

When I wanted to take a shower there was only a pipe sticking out of the wall. The shower head was MIA. There was no hot water, only cold. The water blew from the pipe over my head into the room, because the shower cabin door was broken and could not be closed…

Did not take any food in the hotel so I cannot judge the restaurant facilities.

When I checked in the bellboy walked up to the room with me to show me how everything worked, but he did not speak any English and I do not speak any Spanish. However he did show me the way everything worked, so no real complaints there.

The next morning I was packing my suite case I was greeted by a cockroach of mammoth proportions. It was sitting beside my suitcase and went away when I tried to catch it. If you see one, most of the time there are a lot more around…

In conclusion. I would not recommend this hotel to any one and will ask my travel agency to next time choose a different hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BenV84

Reviewed 20 March 2014

This hotel was very clean and comfortable, small and personal. The staff were all helpful and friendly. Breakfast, included in the price, was generous and of good quality, unlike many 'included' breakfasts. Hard to rate the noise level, as we were there during carnival, so the whole city was musical through the night! Good location, too. We'd stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tjpanter
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I stayed one night at this hotel. Nice reception, pool and restaurant areas but what a dump of a room.
Although I booked a single room I was allocated a room with four beds in it and it certainly had not been refurbished, probably since the hotel was originally built. The whole room could do with power washing or sand blasting.
The furniture was old and grotty, I was scared to open a cupboard door or drawer in case it fell apart in my hands.
The bathroom was a disgrace, no shower head so the water just poured out and it was so grimy with ground in dirt that I was thankful I had sandals on or lord knows what I might have caught.

The area around the hotel (centro) is not the prettiest but city centres usually aren't. At night the area was a little seedy but I never felt threatened walking around alone into the late hours. There are lots of bars, cafes and clubs to choose from.
By day it is very busy and the Caribe Museum is a short walk away
Would I stay there again? Not in a room like that, it was nothing like the photos on the hotel's website.

Room Tip: Ask to view the room before handing over any cash
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Stayed here during Carnaval. Rooms looked plain on the website but the Carnaval mark up rate wasn’t too bad. Actually, upon arrival, found out there had been some recent remodeling and our room was pretty decent, modern and tastefully appointed. However, the A/C wasn’t working properly and after a while the maintenance staff had to swap out it’s remote and even then it was still fickle.

Again, this a decent place not a dump but it’s the little touches (which can sometimes go missing a place like Colombia but that generally don’t go missing in Cartagena where my wife is from) that I can’t understand that get missed. We had two very thin bath towels and there were no hand towels whatsoever. There was no bathmat at all which is a miss because then you drag around water and footprints around the room which increasing cleaning time for the staff each day. Additionally, the pool was closed from 4 to 6 pm (still lounging prime time!) for “alleged” maintenance but in the time I was there over 3 days on the weekend I never saw anything going on at the pool that resembled a full on cleaning or whatnot. Anyway…

Luckily I met Pedro, who is the food service manager from the Azores of Portuguese descent and had lived in Ontario Canada for many, many years and thus his English was great. His father is the general manager but was away working on another hotel property of the company. He listened and definitely understood the missing details and why they are important to travelers. The next two days we had a makeshift bathmat and two extra bath towels. This made the stay better and validated my concerns-I don’t need luxury but at least the basics are nice if you are paying a decent price. In conclusion, if you are a gringo and are here, ask for Pedro and he will most likely make it better (he lives on site and I told him I would right this and then people could bother him!).

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Genova during Carnaval 2013. The hotel is a nice property located in a less than perfect location. It's really not that big of a deal but it's not a place I'd go strolling around at night in. During the day is no problem at all. That being said, it will take you all of 5 minutes to get a taxi any time you want to leave. The rooms are nice, though not luxurious, the staff is very friendly and accommodating and the pool is very nice and a welcome respite for those steamy Barranquilla days.

This is a perfectly acceptable option in Barranquilla and the prices are reasonable (though during Carnaval the prices are significantly higher - though this is true for the entire city). There are other hotels in more happening parts of town but you won't be sorry staying here.

Have fun! At the end of the day, if you find yourself at the Hotel Genova, you are in Colombia, so for you, life is automatically good!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Schnikis
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I visited Genova Hotel in January/February 2012. A little piece of paradise in ethnic part of the city. The hotel was very clean with very nice staff. I spoke very little spanish and found staff in the hotel that were able to speak with me in english. Believe me if I wanted something they went out of their way to get it for me. The restauant offered a variety of food with good portion sizes. The wait staff were pleasant and eagar to please. The swimming pool was clean with sparking clear water. The pool area was relaxing. If wanting to visit other areas of the city a taxi is available to get you to and from for a responsible cost. No need to stay in expensive hotels when you stay at Genova Hotel and be treated like a star. I will return there.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sherri C
Reviewed 29 June 2011

A group of us stayed here one night upon arriving by flight into Barranquilla and one night before our flight out of Barranquilla. The hotel is in a sketchy part of town full that attracts all walks of night life into the several bars and strip clubs that surround the area. The daytime seemed to be fine, but there isn't much around.

The hotel itself is really clean and we noticed that the higher up the floors the more recently renovated the rooms. There's air conditioning, minibar (with reasonably priced items), television - all the typical amenities you'd find at a hotel. There's a really nice pool at the hotel and awesome food at the restaurant. Again, all reasonably priced.

The staff is really nice and if you're in need of something, like beer, at night and are reluctant to head out of the hotel, feel free to ask the staff. For a small tip, they'll grab you whatever you need from the outside world.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends