“ALMOST PERFECT”

Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla
Ranked #13 of 58 Hotels in Barranquilla
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I stayed at the sonesta for four nights (1-5 June),,,I must say it was great. As other reviewers has said great security and great staf.. For the most part everyone understood english which was very helpful. Hotel was very clean. As other reviwers said in a good area night life in the mall next to hotel, room and showers/ bathroom was all GREAT. ok just some small stuff I like to mention,,,,,,,,, The breakfast, I KNOW I am IN COLOMBIA having said that and staying in a USA owned hotel you would think they cater to americans. I was hopeing for bacon ,sasagues, home fries,,,,,it was all colombian food that did not appeal to me,,,,,but did have tradional eggs and small mini pancakes ( get there early or the mini pancakes harden ) I trying to make a simple local phone call in my room but never could do that,,,,no one gave me an answer for that,,but i could call usa for a dollar a minute,,but some reaon if i wanted to make a local call i have to go down stairs and call from the main desk. The elavator when you press the button keep your eyes open as there are 2 elavators and if you stand next to one, the other elavator might open nd you wont hear it. lastly the pool every time i went to use it they ask me for my room number,,,even tho you neded a key card to acces the floors,,,,where they trying to charge a hidden fee to use he pool? BUT OVER ALL A GOOD HOTEL!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank larry m
Melanie M, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2012

Good morning,

In behalf of Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla receive a warm greeting.

We are thankful for all your nice comments regarding our services.

For being a Colombian Hotel as you state, we try to offer our typical meals to our international guest, so they can get a small "taste" of our culture. But we can also please you with the food you wish and dont see in the buffet, just by ordering it to a person of our staff.

In the other hand, it is our policy to ask for the room number every time you visit any of our public areas, so the staff can give all our guests a personalized service.

We hope to have your pleasent visit shortly.

Quality Department.

There are newer reviews for Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla

Reviewed 6 June 2012

The hotel is located in an upper middle class neighborhood and felt safe to walk outside. Rooms are spacious, baths large with walk in showers (no tubs), fast WiFi and good AC. They have a small roof top pool area that was busy at night. There is a breakfast area that served meats, cheeses, breaks and a limited menu of cooked foods. The TV only had one english speaking channel (CNN). The hotel was adjacent to a small mall area that has restaurants, shops and a discotheque that were filled with friendly locals every night.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank travel33624

Good Morning,

In behalf of Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla receive a warm greeting.

We are very thankful for all your nice comments, although let us tell you that we have a cable tv installed in all of our rooms and there are a variaty of english speaking channels such as FOX, Sony, Warner Brothers, CNN, Discovery Channel, Home and Health, and others.

Perhaps the channels were in commercials when you turned to them, and those are in spanish presenting a bit of a confusion.

We hope to have you with us in the future.

Reviewed 12 April 2012

This is one of my favorite hotels!  I stayed here 3 times last year during a few of my business trips to Barranquilla ---one of those occasions was for a month.  Rooms are spacious and very clean. Great bathrooms, also very clean and modern.

The staff is extremely pleasant.  Every member greeted me by name every morning and every evening as I walked past them. I can't say enough about the staff!!! Friendly, courteous, all smiles!

The complimentary breakfast is amazing! What a spread! Eggs, cereals, oatmeals, buñuelos, arepas, empanadas, bollo, all the typical foods of the area. Loved, loved it!

Rooftop pool is very small, but it was never packed.  They also have a nice rooftop sitting area in the other side of the pool.  It has tables, chairs, umbrellas, and a fantastic view of Barranquilla.

I would stay here again without hesitation.

Stayed: June 2011
Melanie M, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

In behalf of Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla receive a warm greeting.

We are thankful for your comments regarding our services. Our major purpose is to work with dedication and commitment to guarantee an exceptional service for our guest.

We hope to have your visit again.

Reviewed 17 January 2012

I was very excited about my stay at this "wonderful" hotel. They were very friendly with the reservation and very accomodating as I had an early international arrival (8am). Upon arrival my room was ready and I was very happy about the hotel choice. The location is excellent and close to many things in Barranquilla. Front desk people, bellman, housekeepers, etc were very nice and friendly. Quite dissapointing was the service by the pool, the reception lady at the pool was all the time on the phone more likely having a personal conversation, I guess thats why she didnt offer us towels, menus, etc. I ordered a few things from the menu, took my order and came back 20 minutes later to tell me that they didnt have what I was ordering, or the order will come incomplete. I think I made them feel bad so they send me an amenity to my room but that didnt content me anyway. I was expecting Sonesta Miami service in Barranquilla but I guess I was wrong. Way to go Sonesta!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Melanie M, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2012

Good Morning,

In behalf of Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla receive a warm greeting.

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at our hotel. We want to offer you our most sincere apologies for the pool service. We guarantee you that we will keep on working to offer an exceptional service for our international guests and to maintain the Sontesta service that makes us different from all the hotel in the world.

We hope to have your pleasent visit again shortly.

Reviewed 8 December 2011

I will start from first to last.

1. I sent an e-mail to the motel asking about car service and I was told they did not have one even though it was listed. Two weeks prior to my arrival I called and was able to confirm they do have a car service and he was waiting for me at the airport. Nice vehicle as compared to the taxi's.

2. Check-In was a little long but I think my 6 hr flight and ride to the hotel was just wearing on me.

3. Room- HUGE! I got an over-sized King, one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on while in a hotel. Shower- HUGE. The shower was almost too big (as a joke). It had a rainfall shower head, hot/cold water, and the one wall was all glass. AWESOME! Safe inside the room was nice. TV was a large 42" LCD. No problem with WiFi. Had a mini fridge with overpriced items, but all hotels do that. I made room for my own sodas. Coffeemaker had the wrong type of coffee and filter and $2.50 for the 1 serving was a little ridiculous.

4. Breakfast Buffet - The first day all the cold seemed a little cold. But plenty of everything. Fruit, breads, cereals, juices, meats, spanish cuisine. They offered an omlette bar for fresh made omlettes. I was not too happy when I went to the egg area the first day because they scrambled the eggs with peppers and I just dont like peppers. The second day the food was hot and the eggs were normal. I had a two egg omlette as well and it was terrific.

5. Room Service- Had a hamburger with mushrooms and a cheese sauce and WOW was it amazing. I know I was hungry but I was ready to order a second one if I had more of an appetite but the burger was huge and came with fries. Room service was fast and efficient.

6. Mall connected to hotel- Enjoyable. Not too many stores but I had lunch at the little hotdog/hamburger joint and used the ice cream parlor another day. The ATM was safe to use. Lots of security/Police in the hotel lobby and mall.

7. Hotel Entry restroom- Overpriced. Food was decent but just too costly. Go outside and enjoy the country.

8. Security- Always visible. Security posted at hotel entrance at all times. Honestly, it was a safe area. Feel free to walk to the two malls nearby if you want the exercise and if its nice outside.

Overall- Loved the place.

Room Tip: If you want a bed that fits 4 get the king. LoL it was HUGE
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BenLI
Melanie M, Guest Relations Manager at Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2012

In behalf of Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla receive a warm greeting.

We are thankful for your comments regarding our services, its proof that we are working in pro of our guests.

We hope to have your pleasent visit again.

Reviewed 20 November 2011

It was a pleasant surprise the one year old hotel, located in a cute small shopping mall near the confluence of the Magdalena River and the Caribbean Sea...
Very modern, with exceptional service from the front desk team to the bell boys & beyond, the breakfast conveniently located in an open 3rd floor offers typical Colombian dishes to charge your morning for whatever endeavors you’ll engage.
Extra clean and spacious rooms, the hotel in conveniently located far from the noise but close enough from everything...
On an incredible bad note... they charge about $2.50 for the "courtesy" coffee in the room.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Melanie M, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2011

In behalf of Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla receive a warm greeting.

We are thankful regarding the comments of our hotel. We want to offer you our most sincere apologies for the missunderstanding about the room coffee.

We will keep on working to maintain the service that makes us different.

Reviewed 13 November 2011

I recently stayed here for 3 nights. The room was quite large and very clean. The bathroom was modern, with a big rainfall-type shower. The bed was an oversized king which was very comfortable.

Overall, I had only 2 small gripes regarding the room: 1) the towels -- we only got 2, and they weren't of the caliber you'd expect from this hotel. However, the wait staff was quick to bring more when I called. 2) The coffee maker -- it was a traditional drip coffee maker, but they provided pellet-type coffee pouches that were designed for a different coffee maker. That was a pretty obvious gaffe. Using the pellets generated brown translucent water that looked like the river I grew up next to in urban new jersey. The good news is the breakfast buffet had exsquisite coffee, so the room unit wasn't important.

The rooftop gym and pool were very nice. As is the case in most South American hotels, the gym is thin on equipment, and is basically there so they could say they have a gym. That being said, everything worked in the gym and it actually had some free weights. Its good enough for a couple days.

The hotel is part of a multi-purpose structure that has a small indoor mall below. The other end of the structure has a fun rooftop restaurant-club. Nice if you want to go out, but don't want to deal with taxis.

Overall this is a very good choice in Barranquilla...I'd definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Try to stay on a higher floor. The third floor has a banquet facility, and you can hear parties for...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank waterski1230

In behalf of Sonesta Hotel Barranquilla receive a warm greeting.

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at our hotel. We will follow your recommendation about the coffee marker to guarantee an exceptional service for our guests.

We wish you could visit us shortly so we can give you again the attention you deserve.