“Modern Hotel, nice location”

NH Collection Barranquilla Smartsuites Royal
Ranked #6 of 58 Hotels in Barranquilla
Walnut, California
“Modern Hotel, nice location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

We came in early before the check in time, they help us right away, the front desk is very helpful, with a nice welcome drink. We checked in right away. Our room has a good size and modern. The wi-fi is great even though we are on the 13th floor the signal is very good. The location is good too, close to restaurants and a pharmacy/convenient store.
Now the bad part, I really hate the way they arrange the whole bathroom. The shower doesn't have a privacy, I am lucky that I am traveling with my husband on a business trip because if you are traveling with somebody else this room will not work for you. The shower is enclosed on a glass, no door, the only cover that you have is a blinds on the other side. If you have to open the door to get something or if somebody knocks they will see the person taking the shower. Also, I have to call several times to request an iron. We have to go on a business meeting, we have to leave without ironing our clothes hoping people will not notice it because the iron never came. I requested this several times, the last time I have to call twice or three times before they show up.
Overall this is a nice place to stay, if you are coming with a family or friends I guess you have to request a room that has a private bathroom. The staff is great beside the iron problem.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
SmartSuitesRoyal, Director de Recepción at NH Collection Barranquilla Smartsuites Royal, responded to this review, 27 January 2014

In behalf of SmartSuites Royal Barranquilla receive a warm greeting.

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at our hotel, for us it’s really important to have a feedback. We will follow your recommendations about the issues you mentioned to guarantee an exceptional service for our guests.

We wish you could visit us shortly so we can give you again the attention you deserve.

Front Desk Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

I have stayed here before without issues but sadly not the case this time. I arrived late, around 1.30am. Met with a welcome drink which is a nice touch, especially at such a late hour. The rooms are quite basic and sparsely decorated, but adequate. The light in the toilet didn't work which was quite inconvenient later because the flapper valve in the tank got stuck and I had to fish around in the tank in the dark to fix it. the light was replaced on day two.

The shower was only luke warm, and that was after letting it run for a full 5 minutes. The shower also did not drain so by the end of the shower, I was standing in an inch of water. I believe they may have been having problems with the water since there were a couple of scheduled outtages during the day.

This is a no frills hotel, so don't expect anything else.

Overall the hotel staff are very friendly, breakfast is adequate. Service at the bar is excellent although the bar is not well stocked..

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank KJS0603

Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

Everything went as expected. Good service with nice people. Very clean and spacious. Location is also good with restaurants bars and shops around. Gym is a bit small, but you can run on the street. Breakfast is good, not a huge variety but very good quality.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking a few minutes to express your opinion about us.

For the SmartSuites Royal family is a pleasure to know that you had an excellent experience in our hotel. We always try to give our best and it seems to be working. We also want you to know that we will assist you with whatever you may need.

We hope to have you back soon to this your home in Barranquilla!

Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

I was extremely disappointed by Gina, the manager who poorly managed a situation in which the hotel was overbooked and their reservation center made an error in my reservation. Not only did it take them over one hour to confirm whether or not they could accommodate me, the manager promised and then withdrew offers of other accommodations, assistance with transportation to other hotels (which were also overbooked). In the end, they tried to put me in a taxi from the street at my own expense to transfer to a hotel that was not recommended as "credible." It was 10pm at night and I never felt so abandoned in a foreign country. Very disappointing and unprofessional. I encourage other reliable and well-managed hotel chains to build in Barranquilla, as demand seems to exist.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank kris h
Dear guest

In behalf of SmartSuites Royal Barranquilla receive a warm greeting.

We want to offer you our most sincere apologies and we will follow your recommendations to guarantee an exceptional service for all our guests.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Smart Suites Royal Hotel for 6 days and the hotel staff made us both feel welcome and they all went out of their way to ensure we enjoyed or stay.

Within 5 minutes walk from the hotel is a good selection of restaurants and the area is safe to walk around during the day and at evening.

On my return to Barranquilla the Smart Suites Royal will be my hotel of choice.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
SmartSuitesRoyal, Director de Recepción at NH Collection Barranquilla Smartsuites Royal, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking a few minutes to express your opinion about us.

We hope to have you back soon to this your home in Barranquilla!

Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

This was an overall good experience. The staff of this hotel is very well trained ( with the exception of a woman in the restaurant, that is not rude but doesnt have the same service levels). The bellboys are amazing, the front desk agents as well. They offer you the pick up service for US 15.00, although they end uo charging you in local currency at their own exchange rate ( 2000 pesos for dollar..which is pretty high compared with the official exchange).
I would stay there again, no doubt, however if i were looking for a less expensive but good quality option I would stay at the Hampton Inn by Hilton.

Room Tip: If you get a room in the 14th floor, avoid the 1405 ( which is the one I got), it is right under the...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
SmartSuitesRoyal, Director de Recepción at NH Collection Barranquilla Smartsuites Royal, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your excellent comments.

SmartSuites Royal is committed to providing its customers an unforgettable stay and make them feel at home.

We hope to welcome you again in our Hotel.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

I stayed here 4 nights middle of August 2013. I booked the reservation through their website which gave the price in USD. They do not take the money immediately which was fine by me but for others maybe an issue so just be aware. They were very friendly and accomodating. Now for those that complain about lighting etc. This is South America this is not the USA. So keep this in the mind please. The room was spacious modern feel had a great view near everything very safe location. The lights once the warm up a bright and adequate I didnt have any color issues. MY bathroom everything worked great with no issues. The bed was very comfortable and they have HD flat panel LED TV's. The Wifi was free and worked great. My only issue was at checkout. Fabio wanted to charge much more than the agreed upon price/rate. I have traveled many times in the past so I made sure I had copies and printouts of everything in advance. He then wanted to give me a conversion rate much much lower than the standard rate going rate at the banks and money exchange locations. At the time the conversion was 1843 COP to 1 USD. Fabio tried to tell me it was 1700 COP to 1 USD. It took me over 40 minutes to check out and get him to understand I wasnt paying more than the amount that was on the printed out confirmed reseravation, which by the way is in USD, from their own reservation system. Other than this issue which when you are trying to check out is very frustrating I had a great stay and the staff, other than Fabio were very courteous, helpful, and friendly. Just be aware if you stay here or anywhere in Colombia bring cash exchange it locally and pay in COP. DO NOT use a credit card and keep copies print outs of everything you booked prior to arriving.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple