“I`ll be back!”

Ranked #6 of 58 Hotels in Barranquilla
Bogota, Colombia
“I`ll be back!”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Very cozy and functional hotel and nice and efficient staff. I need not look for any other hotel the next time I go to Barranquilla. My only recommendation to make it even better would be to have cleaner windows in the room (on the outside), although I know this can be tough at a hotel close to the sea, with salt water blowing around most of the time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
SmartSuitesRoyal, Director de Recepción at NH Collection Barranquilla Smartsuites Royal, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all, in behalf of all the SmartSuites Royal Family we want to thank you for taking the time to share your opinion and experience to us. Also, for choosing us as your best option for your accommodation at Barranquilla.

We would like you to know that we are always willing to offer an excellent service as well as the facilities which make even more special your stay in our hotel. It was a pleasure for us to assist you once you became part of this great family, as our philosophy says: the satisfaction of our guests is our best reward.

Front Desk Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Curacao
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Certainly not a 5 star hotel!
We booked a suite for three nights and chose to stay at the Smart Suites because of its location and because of the new look it had so we thought it would be worth the extra money (about 130 $ per night)
On arrival we were taken to our suite on the second room; as I had some work to do after having spend five days without a proper internet connection I tried to connect to the wifi without success. I had to do to the hallway outside my suite to be able to connect to the Wifi. The safe deposit box on the room didn't work either and over all the room - especially the living area was quite dark and looked out on the A/C units of the hotel. Also I had to fix the toilet upon arrival as it would flush.
The view from the sleeping area was great.

Told reception about the WIFI and safe and they told me they would send someone up for the safe and gave me another password for another WIFI network. Maintenance guy came up without tools so had to leave again to go and get some and WIFI network still would connect. At this time we already lost about an hour so went down to reception again to require a solution for the WIFI and they told me I could use the business centre free of charge. Obviously this wasn't a satisfactory solution for us as the only reason we got a suite was so my wife would be comfortable while I could do some work.
Finally the agreed to change our suite to another one on the 14th floor.

We agreed to leave our suite cases packed (after unpacking them when we arrived) and that they would put them in the new room so we could finally go out and have dinner and meet the family we have in Barranquilla.
When we came back at 21.00 they told us that there was a problem with the room and that they weren't able to change our room until tomorrow morning. At this I just wanted to check out and get another hotel but at 21.00 that's not a thing you want to do (especially not when its a bank holiday and Colombia just won another football match) however I was certainly pissed off about the way they treat their guests and its not what you expect from a 5 star hotel, especially because I assume they where already aware of the fact they had a problem in the other room.

Next day they changed us into a much nicer suite although this one had ants - at this point I was just tired of going down to reception so I didn't complain though the problem was persistent even after the cleaning service came the next day.

Upon arrival we were told we had a welcome drink (wine or beer) at the bar; due to the problems we had the first night we weren't able to make it that same evening so we went the next day (Sunday) though the bar seemed closed as there was no bar keeper we sat down and watched the football match. After a while my wife got hold of someone and ordered a beer and a glass of wine. They told us the welcome drink was only available from Monday till Saturday so they had to charge it to our room. Again, didn't understand it but what the heck. Go ahead.
The wine tasted more like port so that bottle must have been open for days, again, didn't want to complain again so we sucked it up. Bar was closed the third night too (two nights in a row, unacceptable for a 5*)

At night we came back from dinner with my wife's family and we wanted to have some dessert on our room. We called room service but unfortunately from the desserts on their menu they only had two available (from 10, again no 5*)

Later that evening we ordered tea and they brought up two cups of tea (without milk and/or sugar - where in the world would you see that in a 5*)

Water from the mini bar is very expensive (about 6 $ for a bottle while a bottle of Coke was 3 $)

Very poor breakfast (little to choose from which is - again - unacceptable for a 5 star hotel) and it takes ages to get a second cup of coffee. Also it seems that the restaurant was in the lobby while they were doing some maintenance in the real restaurant.

Pool is very small (even smaller then you would think it would be)

Overall I wouldn't recommend it at all - Isabel at the reception tried her best but the harm was already done. The location is nice but it is certainly not a 5 star hotel (more like a 3) and absolutly not worth the +100 $ per night. I have stayed in many hotels all over Colombia (always +4*, usually 5*) but this was by far my worst experience.
There are lots of other (cheaper) hotels that give much better service on the same location and lots of other better hotels a bit further up north.

Room Tip: Avoid 1st or 2nd floor, try to be as high up as possible.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
SmartSuitesRoyal, Director General at NH Collection Barranquilla Smartsuites Royal, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Guest,

First off all we want to thank you for your comments, for us it’s really important to have a feedback so we can improve our service with your recommendations.
We also want to apologize about the Wi-Fi problems, we are working on it in that floor, unfortunately we were full that night and we only have 1 room to change you, and the Suite on the 14th floor we offered you at first was not in optimum conditions, that is the reason we had to change you the next morning.
About the welcome drink you mentioned, at “Tardes Royal” you can choose between 2 beers, 2 glasses of wine or 2 soft drinks from Monday to Saturday between 5pm and 7pm (not on Sundays or holidays), that’s why the bar was closed two days in a row, however the wine and the beer you ordered were not charge to your room due to the problems you had the first night.
On the minibar you can find around 4 different options of water, local water for 3 dollars or French water for 6 dollars, and you also have in the room a list with the prices of all products.
Your comments about the breakfast buffet and other services, we will take account of them because we want to continue providing the best service in the city.

We are aware that the pool of our hotel is small but we believe that the deck area where it is located is very nice (especially for the view).

Our major purpose is to work with dedication and commitment to guarantee an exceptional service for our guest.
We hope to have your visit again and give us a second chance to attend you as you deserve.

Mario Muvdi Chiari
Coral Springs
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Third stay at this hotel. Front desk staff all spoke English, though restaurant and bar staff had limited non-Spanish skills. All were friendly & helpful. Room was very clean and comfortable. As others say, close to many good restaurants. Felt safe when walking in area. Breakfast was great - try the fresh fruit juices they change daily, as these were fantastic. Showers a little odd- they have a glass wall between shower and sleeping area, with blinds controlled by bed room side.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
SmartSuitesRoyal, Director de Recepción at NH Collection Barranquilla Smartsuites Royal, responded to this review, 7 July 2014

Thanks for taking a few minutes to express your opinion about us.
For the SmartSuites Royal family is a pleasure to know that you had an excellent experience in our hotel. We always try to give our best and it seems to be working. We also want you to know that we will assist you with whatever you may need.

Dallas
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Extremely friendly/helpful staff. In a good part of Barra with lots of good restaurants within a block, down Carrerra 51-B. This chain offers two free drinks at their bar during happy hour. Had a business center. Big place. Room very quiet. Only complaint about the room was that it overlooked the inside of another building. But whatever. I'm sure they have many rooms with a view of Barra. The WiFi didn't work for me using last name/room number, so they dispatched someone to my room with a separate code. Breakfast was good. Would definitely stay again. Room had its own AC controls, which you desperately need in humid Barra.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
SmartSuitesRoyal, Director de Recepción at NH Collection Barranquilla Smartsuites Royal, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We would like to thank you for considering us an excellent hotel in Barranquilla. For us is very important to know that we are doing a good job.

We hope you can come back to this your home at Barranquilla.

Medellin, Colombia
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The hotel is located in front of McDonald's for fast food eaters. If you want to eat at a better restaurant, try walking down the 51b street to Calle 82 and Calle 84, it is safe to do it. There you will also find Farmatodo, a nice 24/7 drugstore to buy groceries and snacks. The hotel is modern and has clean rooms and it is attended by courteous service employees. Perfect for a business trip. The terrace has a nice view with only a small hot tub. I would have preferred to have an egg station at the breakfast buffet, but the clerk attended my order of scrambled eggs very friendly and at time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
SmartSuitesRoyal, Director de Recepción at NH Collection Barranquilla Smartsuites Royal, responded to this review, 10 June 2014

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 26 May 2014

It is the second time for me to stay this hotel.
I really enjoyed staying this hotel.
Surrounding was nice and safe.
McDonald was just next door, too.
There are a lot of good restaurants around this hotels.
Free happy hour was great too. I wish they could have Sunday as well.
I will stay there again next time.
People speak English. It made my life easier.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
SmartSuitesRoyal, Director de Recepción at NH Collection Barranquilla Smartsuites Royal, responded to this review, 27 May 2014

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This was my second stay at this property, during both trips I experienced consistent cleanliness and courtesy. My suite with a living area (worthwhile upgrade) was comfortable and the AC works great (I've found this is not always the case in Colombia). The gym had received some new equipment and the restaurant had been repainted and the ceilings cleaned so they try to keep this property in good condition. Pharmacy and quite a few restaurants just steps away.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter due to less street noise. Go with a corner suite upgrade.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Amy A
SmartSuitesRoyal, Director de Recepción at NH Collection Barranquilla Smartsuites Royal, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Miss Aldridge,