“The most accommodating hostle on my trip from Medellin to Venezuela.”
Review of Hostel Kasa Guane

and 1 more site!
Hostel Kasa Guane
Ranked #4 of 52 Bucaramanga B&B and Inns
Medellin, Colombia
“The most accommodating hostle on my trip from Medellin to Venezuela.”
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

Came for 2 days and stayed for 5. Allot of help from the owners including accommodating my wife and my needs. We are in our 60's. They sent us to another Hostle, for the day, to go swimming, watch the para-gliding and see one of the most beautiful views of The city.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Sirbob64
KasaGuane, Owner at Hostel Kasa Guane, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Sirbob64,

It is great to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us at Kasa Guane, thanks for letting us know!

We love having a mix of guests of all nationalities and ages in our hostel so to hear that you enjoyed Kasa Guane and the afternoon that you spent at our sister hostel The Nest is awesome for us to hear.

We hope that you enjoyed your time in Venezuela and look forward to seeing you in Bucaramanga again some time.

Saludos

Team Kasa Guane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Guatemala
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night. Saw little of Bucaramanga but what I did see I liked. The hostel is well presented with an inviting lobby, well stocked drinks fridge and super WiFi. The staff were very helpful and provided a useful map. First impressions were very good and only heightened by the informative wall displays and hundreds of business cards from locations all around Colombia. Sadly, even though it was a Saturday night it was impossible to sleep until 1AM. There was a live DJ playing on the 3rd Floor and this was amongst the loudest music I have ever heard. Is this a weekly event? Frankly music should not be in a place where people should expect to be able to sleep. There was no notification of this at the time of booking or to me when I checked in. No discount was offered at checkout even when asked for. The partygoers invariably walked up to the sleeping floor and enquired with guests how to get to the 3rd Floor. NOT MY JOB! Partygoers should be kept separate from guests accommodation for security at least and should have alternative toilet facilities. When I am 'busting for a piss' I don't want to queue with partygoers. The kitchen was also dirty. Sorry guys but there should have been more control.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Hi Leigh,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. We appreciate your points about the bar and would like to offer our apologies if it was not made clear to you when you checked in that there would be music that night.

We are pleased to hear that apart from the noise issue on a Saturday night you liked the city and seemed to have a very positive first impression of Kasa Guane and of Bucaramanga.

In response to your comments, we do open a private bar for guests of the hostel and friends from the city every Friday and Saturday. We do have regular local and interantional musicians and in recent months this has become extremely popular as a place for our guests to meet people from the city and vice versa.

We admit that we were a little slow to put in place the necessary systems to ensure that this doesn’t affect the stay of guests that want to sleep. We now advice all guests about the bar on check in and have a barrier blocking the entrance to the second floor, where all the guest’s rooms are.

We also employ security to manage the entrance and exit of all visitors to the bar and the closing time for the bar is now strictly 12 midnight. We hope that these changes help to maintain the sensitive balance between the guests that want to party and those that want to sleep on Fridays and Saturdays.

Again I would like to apologise if this was not made clear to you and if your stay at our hostel was affected by this. We have taken your points on board and made changes to ensure that this doesn’t happen again.

Saludos

Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

Kasa Guane is not the place to be. Rooms at the back have no window; at the front they overlook a busy street. Traffic WILL wake you up early morning! People playing pool on the roof terrace until very late at night will keep you awake!
The bathrooms are run down.
Laundry room and kitchen are in the same area, so your freshly washed clothes smell of food.
Dining room is dark and depressing.
Tim, an English guy and one of the owners, is careless and not helpful with information.
Luckily Rowan was there to save the day.
I'm really sorry I went there! I'm sure I could have found better!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank GeorginaCatania
KasaGuane, Owner at Hostel Kasa Guane, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Hi Georgina,

We are sorry that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. We are surprised to hear such negative comments especially after the long positive conversations we had in the hostel.

Your comment about Tim (me) being unhelpful and careless is disappointing, when you arrived at the hostel you mistakenly believed that Bucaramanga offered all the activities that were in your guide book for San Gil.

As with all our guests I took the time to answer all your questions as accurately as I could and tried to make things clearer for you.

I explained that it wasn't possible to do some of the activities you wanted to do in Bucaramanga. You replied that you really liked Bucaramanga and only wanted to go to San Gil and Barichara for one day and then return.

I advised you of the journey times and that although possible, it would involve a lot of travelling and very little time in the places that you wanted to see. You then left for San Gil but didn't return that night.

I appreciate that you have had to change your travel plans but was it is disappointing to read that you feel that this was due to my bad advice.

Your solely negative comments go against the majority of other reviews and comments that we have had.

Specifically in terms of the laundry, we have a tumble dryer in the kitchen and I personally wash all my clothes in the hostel. I have never noticed or heard anyone else say that their clothes smell of food.

Again I offer my apologies if you are sorry that you stayed in our hostel but I and all our staff always do our utmost to give the best information we can to all our guests.

Tim

Reviewed 15 May 2013

Loved this place. Possibly the only hostel in town, so not much competition, but the guys arent resting on their laurels.

Rooms are nice and clean and spacious (privates and dorms). Great, powerful, hot showers. Good wifi. Guest kitchen for cooking. Great lounge/bar on the roof for relaxing, which also seems to be where the locals come to hang out every night.

The English guys that run the place are also really helpful.

Only complaint would be the loudness of music in reception...come on guys, turn it down late at night....it can be heard in every room.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi thecurioswolf,
Thanks for the review. It's really nice for us to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate you're point about noise from the reception and have asked the staff to be more aware of this in the future. We hope you accept our apologies and hope to see you again soon.

Regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2013

My girlfriend and i stayed here on and off for two weeks, the hostel has a very relaxed atmosphere, really helpful staff and clean and comfortable rooms.
I was staying in a different room for two weeks before she joined me and both the shared shower i was using then and the ensuite we had later were powerful and kept a steady, hot temperature throughout (most important factor along with comfy beds IMHO)
Lively rooftop bar on Friday and Saturday nights with great quality (and cheap) cocktails and the best empanadas we ate in Colombia. The stairs to the bar are separate from those to the rooms meaning you don't have non-hostel guests walking past your bedroom door.
Being non-spanish speakers we found the staff were always very helpful in booking other hostels, activities and flights around Colombia.
And if you have time.... my girlfriend and i went on a Saturday morning to help with a charity social project linked with the hostel - Goals for Peace.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Hey dephill83,
It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and the morning at Goals for Peace. Thanks for taking the time to let us know and hopefully we'll see you back in Bucaramanga soon.
All the best
Gananoque, Canada
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I had the ATA private room and bath and although it looked out onto the stairs to the rooftop bar after 11:00 it was very quiet. The bed was comfortable the pillows just right for me and did I mention HOT water. This is the only place that you will have to add some cold to the hot to take a shower. After coming from the coast and cold water showers the hot water was wonderful. Across the street there is a bakery that serves reasonably priced breakfasts if your not into making your own in the kitchen. The staff are friendly and they are willing to offer advice on things to see and do. The wifi at the start was great with a router on every floor for great strength and coverage. Sometimes you may have to reboot the second floor router but that solved my early on connection issues. The Hostel is in a great location in a city that is not often on the radar as a tourist city. La Mesa, Giron , Parque Nacional Chicmocha and La Flora parks are places that are a must see when in Bucaramanga. I highly recommend Kasa Guane.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank WParks
Hey WParks,
What a great review! Thanks for your kind words it sounds like you got the best out of your stay with us and your time in and around the city. We installed a new huge gas boiler a few months ago and hearing guests like you enjoy the new showers makes us glad we did. La Flora park is beautiful and we agree with you that there are lots of 'must see' spots around Bucaramanga.

All the best

Team kasa Guane
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Hostal Kasa Guane is everything a hostel should be. It has nice clean rooms, big hot showers, a great rooftop bar and common area, friendly helpful staff, located in a awesome area of the city, all for a great price. There was always plenty to do and lots of other travelers around to have a good time with. If you are looking for a quite out of the way place Kasa Guane might not be for you, but for everyone else it's all you could ask for.

Bucaramanga is also a great city. It doesn't seem to be on the radar of most travelers but I think that might soon change. It is very clean and modern. It is full of students and young working people. It might not have the history of Bogota, but it is very lively and full of energy.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Prindle150
Hi Prindle150,

Another positive review, thanks so much for taking time to let us know your thoughts about Bucaramanga and Kasa Guane. It's so nice to hear so many people appreciating the city like we do and we think you're right that things are only going to get better. Thanks again for you're lovely comments about our hostel.

All the best and we hope to see you soon.