“Too expensive for what you get”
Review of Hostel Kasa Guane

and 1 more site!
Hostel Kasa Guane
Ranked #4 of 52 Bucaramanga B&B and Inns
Munich, Germany
“Too expensive for what you get”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I only came to Bucaramanga for one night between before leaving for the Caribbean, so I was looking for a central hostel with private room and en-suite bathroom.

I received a warm welcome but my room wasn´t ready at 1pm, which is OK. I spent some time on the rooftop terrace and then got my room. The room was big and painted in bright colours. There was a double bed and a shelf. The bathroom was spartanic but relatively clean. The thing that really made me not like the room was the fact that in stead of a solid wall and door I had a huge window made of translucent glass and a door made of the same material. Both window and door faced the hall which meant that I had the pleasure of being in a shadow puppet theatre, both as actor and spectator. It also meant that it was impossible to get the room reasonably dark. The window and door banged with every draft or every other room door slammed shut. Apart from this it was pretty noisy (as was probably to be expected). All in all it was one of the most expensive places I stayed during my 5-week stay and the one I liked least.

Having said this, the staff was nice and helpful and the location is quite OK. Definitely nice as a hostel but not worth the money if you stay in a private room.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
KasaGuane, Owner at Hostel Kasa Guane, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Hi Oliver,

Thank you for your comments about your stay with us at Kasa Guane. We are pleased to hear that you felt welcome upon your arrival.

Where possible we always aim to let our guests check into their rooms as early as they can however the official check in time is 2pm. This is now clearly stated on a sign on the reception desk, we apologise if this wasn’t obvious when you arrived.

In relation to your comments about the translucent door of your private room we would like to offer our full apologies if you we unable to fully relax due to this.

We have now put in a curtain rail with a thick curtain to ensure that the issues that you mention do not happen again. After speaking to other guests that have stayed in the room we feel that this has now resolved the problem.

In terms of the price of the room, we feel that it is extremely competitive for the location of the hostel and the services that we provide. In the area of the city that we are in we are by far the cheapest accommodation option and are confident that we offer many more services in our hostel e.g. free, wireless 10 Meg internet, than many of the more expensive hotels nearby.

Again I would like to offer our apologies for the issue relating to the curtain in your room and can assure you that if you ever come to stay with us again you will not find this issue again.

Team Kasa Guane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
California
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Staying at your Hostal, 9 Sept for one night, here are my comments:

The front reception staff was fanastic. They more than went out of their way to help. Maps, directions. No question was to small to answer.

Laundry service excellent and reasonable, since it´s very diffcult to find a Lavandora en Colombia. Clothes were very clean and service very fast.

Excellent location. Easy access to everything.

The down side.

I thought 60 Mil for a Habitacion con bano privado was a little on the high side. This may be the norm in Bucaramanga. No television in the room. This has been the norm in all my travels to SA, even cheap rooms have a TV.

The room was noisy, but most of it was outside traffic and not your problem.

The room could have been cleaner.

Believing you are a concerned owner, I am sure you appreciate the travelers opinion.

Thank you.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Dear DayCalifornia,

First of all, thank you for your review. It is very important for us to hear what our guests think of our hostel and the service that we provide.

The positive comments that you make about the staff and location are great to hear. In terms of the price of the room, we appreciate that you may have paid less in other areas of Colombia but for the area of Bucaramanga that we are located in and for the services that we offer in the hostel, we feel that our prices are extremely reasonable.

The cleanliness of our hostel is extremely important to us and we have signs all over the hostel advising guests to let us know if they would like their room or any other area of the hostel cleaned at any point. Without being more specific about how your room could have been cleaner it is difficult to respond directly to your comment.

Once again thanks alot for taking the time to leave us a review, we appreciate your comments.

All the best y saludos

Medellin, Colombia
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

Came for 2 days and stayed for 5. Allot of help from the owners including accommodating my wife and my needs. We are in our 60's. They sent us to another Hostle, for the day, to go swimming, watch the para-gliding and see one of the most beautiful views of The city.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Sirbob64
Dear Sirbob64,

It is great to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us at Kasa Guane, thanks for letting us know!

We love having a mix of guests of all nationalities and ages in our hostel so to hear that you enjoyed Kasa Guane and the afternoon that you spent at our sister hostel The Nest is awesome for us to hear.

We hope that you enjoyed your time in Venezuela and look forward to seeing you in Bucaramanga again some time.

Guatemala
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night. Saw little of Bucaramanga but what I did see I liked. The hostel is well presented with an inviting lobby, well stocked drinks fridge and super WiFi. The staff were very helpful and provided a useful map. First impressions were very good and only heightened by the informative wall displays and hundreds of business cards from locations all around Colombia. Sadly, even though it was a Saturday night it was impossible to sleep until 1AM. There was a live DJ playing on the 3rd Floor and this was amongst the loudest music I have ever heard. Is this a weekly event? Frankly music should not be in a place where people should expect to be able to sleep. There was no notification of this at the time of booking or to me when I checked in. No discount was offered at checkout even when asked for. The partygoers invariably walked up to the sleeping floor and enquired with guests how to get to the 3rd Floor. NOT MY JOB! Partygoers should be kept separate from guests accommodation for security at least and should have alternative toilet facilities. When I am 'busting for a piss' I don't want to queue with partygoers. The kitchen was also dirty. Sorry guys but there should have been more control.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Hi Leigh,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. We appreciate your points about the bar and would like to offer our apologies if it was not made clear to you when you checked in that there would be music that night.

We are pleased to hear that apart from the noise issue on a Saturday night you liked the city and seemed to have a very positive first impression of Kasa Guane and of Bucaramanga.

In response to your comments, we do open a private bar for guests of the hostel and friends from the city every Friday and Saturday. We do have regular local and interantional musicians and in recent months this has become extremely popular as a place for our guests to meet people from the city and vice versa.

We admit that we were a little slow to put in place the necessary systems to ensure that this doesn’t affect the stay of guests that want to sleep. We now advice all guests about the bar on check in and have a barrier blocking the entrance to the second floor, where all the guest’s rooms are.

We also employ security to manage the entrance and exit of all visitors to the bar and the closing time for the bar is now strictly 12 midnight. We hope that these changes help to maintain the sensitive balance between the guests that want to party and those that want to sleep on Fridays and Saturdays.

Again I would like to apologise if this was not made clear to you and if your stay at our hostel was affected by this. We have taken your points on board and made changes to ensure that this doesn’t happen again.

Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

Kasa Guane is not the place to be. Rooms at the back have no window; at the front they overlook a busy street. Traffic WILL wake you up early morning! People playing pool on the roof terrace until very late at night will keep you awake!
The bathrooms are run down.
Laundry room and kitchen are in the same area, so your freshly washed clothes smell of food.
Dining room is dark and depressing.
Tim, an English guy and one of the owners, is careless and not helpful with information.
Luckily Rowan was there to save the day.
I'm really sorry I went there! I'm sure I could have found better!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank GeorginaCatania
KasaGuane, Owner at Hostel Kasa Guane, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Hi Georgina,

We are sorry that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. We are surprised to hear such negative comments especially after the long positive conversations we had in the hostel.

Your comment about Tim (me) being unhelpful and careless is disappointing, when you arrived at the hostel you mistakenly believed that Bucaramanga offered all the activities that were in your guide book for San Gil.

As with all our guests I took the time to answer all your questions as accurately as I could and tried to make things clearer for you.

I explained that it wasn't possible to do some of the activities you wanted to do in Bucaramanga. You replied that you really liked Bucaramanga and only wanted to go to San Gil and Barichara for one day and then return.

I advised you of the journey times and that although possible, it would involve a lot of travelling and very little time in the places that you wanted to see. You then left for San Gil but didn't return that night.

I appreciate that you have had to change your travel plans but was it is disappointing to read that you feel that this was due to my bad advice.

Your solely negative comments go against the majority of other reviews and comments that we have had.

Specifically in terms of the laundry, we have a tumble dryer in the kitchen and I personally wash all my clothes in the hostel. I have never noticed or heard anyone else say that their clothes smell of food.

Again I offer my apologies if you are sorry that you stayed in our hostel but I and all our staff always do our utmost to give the best information we can to all our guests.

Tim

Reviewed 15 May 2013

Loved this place. Possibly the only hostel in town, so not much competition, but the guys arent resting on their laurels.

Rooms are nice and clean and spacious (privates and dorms). Great, powerful, hot showers. Good wifi. Guest kitchen for cooking. Great lounge/bar on the roof for relaxing, which also seems to be where the locals come to hang out every night.

The English guys that run the place are also really helpful.

Only complaint would be the loudness of music in reception...come on guys, turn it down late at night....it can be heard in every room.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
KasaGuane, Owner at Hostel Kasa Guane, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
Hi thecurioswolf,
Thanks for the review. It's really nice for us to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate you're point about noise from the reception and have asked the staff to be more aware of this in the future. We hope you accept our apologies and hope to see you again soon.

Regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2013

My girlfriend and i stayed here on and off for two weeks, the hostel has a very relaxed atmosphere, really helpful staff and clean and comfortable rooms.
I was staying in a different room for two weeks before she joined me and both the shared shower i was using then and the ensuite we had later were powerful and kept a steady, hot temperature throughout (most important factor along with comfy beds IMHO)
Lively rooftop bar on Friday and Saturday nights with great quality (and cheap) cocktails and the best empanadas we ate in Colombia. The stairs to the bar are separate from those to the rooms meaning you don't have non-hostel guests walking past your bedroom door.
Being non-spanish speakers we found the staff were always very helpful in booking other hostels, activities and flights around Colombia.
And if you have time.... my girlfriend and i went on a Saturday morning to help with a charity social project linked with the hostel - Goals for Peace.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
KasaGuane, Owner at Hostel Kasa Guane, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
Hey dephill83,
It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and the morning at Goals for Peace. Thanks for taking the time to let us know and hopefully we'll see you back in Bucaramanga soon.
All the best