“Good for a couple of nights”

Casa Relax Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 185 Cartagena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I had a good overall experience here.

Pros: Location just a short walk from the walled city, very quiet at night, breakfast included, clean and friendly staff, pool was spectacular and worth the price alone.

Cons: Coffee was terrible for Colombia, staff couldn't provide many recommendations (no maps of city, for example).

If you're looking for a place to relax for a short time, stay here. But I wouldn't stay for a week. (Then again, i wouldn't stay for that long in Cartagena anyway.)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank NorCalN8iv

Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed a few days in Casa Relax and it felt like beeing in an oasis. A very familiar atmosphere with very nice people, a house parrot and a pool! The rooms are comfortable and clean. Very tasty breakfast with fresh fruits! It's located in the middle of Getsemani close to many bars and restaurants! We can fully recommend Casa Relax!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Having stayed in Getsemani in times less friendly, I was firstly amazed to see the backpacking fraternity out in their hordes, chilling in plaza Trinidad just 5 minutes away from the aptly named "Casa Relax". The hotel is nothing fancy but has a comfort to it, spacy rooms, air-co, swimming pool (handy)and friendly staff. The romance of the walled city is a ten minute walk away and as previously mentioned, Plaza Trinidad offers local street delicacies as well as various restaurants.
The hotel breakfast is delish and the staff super friendly....I would stay there every time.

Room Tip: Both rooms I had were very good....hammocks around the pool and a lovely covered terrace to chill...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Campocareca
Reviewed 20 November 2013

After a hectic backpacker charter, this place was like heaven. The rooms are basic, but the breakfast was amazing, the pool great, and the silence was incredible, for being in Getsemani! Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 July 2013

this is my first trip to colombia, when first arriving in getsemani i was a little disappointed with what appeared to be a very run down and unsafe area, however after one day all that went out the window. casa relax in not in the main old town area near the clock tower but is a ten min walk with lots of cool cafes along the way. it was sooo nice to retreat to the pool and hammocks after walking around in the heat all day. the breakfast was perfect (eggs, toast, fruit, coffee) and the staff was helpful and the rooms are fine, simple. our power went out once, the ac is not that strong so it took hours to cool our room down, and it did get a little noisy at but but other than that, it was perfect. i traveled with a grilfriend and we felt safe the entire time. getsemani turned out to be perfect for us. we stayed a total of 5 nights.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We stayed 5 nights at Casa Relax. The room itself was nothing fancy, though it was spacious and had plenty of room for our backpacks. It also came with a very good breakfast.

There's no hot water, but it was so hot/humid, both day and night, in Cartagena that we didn't miss it too much. Fortunately, the room had AC, which we certainly needed! Casa Relax also has a great pool, which is kept clean.

The guest house is located in Getsemani, which is a lively area, and is in easy walking distance to the old walled city in Cartagena. But the rooms at Casa Relax are far enough away from the noise down the road, particularly at Plaza de Trinidad, where locals and tourists alike hang out, that we couldn't hear any of it from our room.

The only conflict we had with Casa Relax had to do with payment. Earlier in our stay we were told by one of the staff that we could pay with a credit card, Visa or Mastercard. Unfortunately, we relied on this information, so we didn't have a lot of Colombian pesos on hand. But when it came time to pay for the room (and we needed to pay quickly, since we were about to leave Cartagena to catch our flight), a different staff person there said they took cash only--no credit cards. Unfortunately too, because it was so early in the morning, some of the nearby ATMs were closed, so we had to walk much further to find a working one, but yet were also tight on time because of our morning flight. So I would say to make sure you have enough cash on hand to pay for the room...

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zengirl_10
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I just spent a really pleasant 9 nights at the Hostal Casa Relax. I give it two thumbs up. I was travelling solo, and I felt really comfortable there and thought that the staff was nice, especially the main housekeeping woman who is usually there. Enjoyed the pool and the breakfasts. The courtyard is really pleasant, somehow it stays cool a lot, has hammocks and a cute parrot in it. Breakfast was good and is available up til 11.

I took one of the cheaper rooms. There are a few such rooms that are about $25 per day cheaper. As such, it was not nearly as nice a room as the by-the-pool ones, I think that a few changes requiring little effort, like adding a hook to hang the shower on, would help a lot. It was a hand-held shower so you had to hold it with one hand over your head and try to shampoo with the other, etc.! I noticed the shower was not cleaned during my stay, as well. The “poolside rooms” are much nicer, with proper showers and so forth. In addition, they are probably quieter; the non-poolside rooms are very noisy, due to a combination of street noise, people – including staff - playing music on the computers directly below them, neighboring guest noise, and the reception, phone, and pool table directly below as well.

The last thing I feel I have to note because I think the hostal should address it is that one night, in the open-air kitchen, I saw two rats walking on a high rafter. I don’t know how big of a problem they may be in the city in general, but since many kitchen items are left in the open air, steps should be taken either to keep everything enclosed and sealed, or to exterminate. When I told staff, they did not seem terribly concerned, as well; the owner was away.

Finally, I thought Getsemani was great and this hostal is particularly well-located, between two pretty small plazas and near great restaurants.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo