“Awesome location and hotel! Very informative”
Review of Hotel 3 Banderas

Hotel 3 Banderas
Ranked #50 of 155 Hotels in Cartagena
New York City, New York
“Awesome location and hotel! Very informative”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I stayed here in September 2013 and really enjoyed my stay. The location is awesome, it's on a quiet street, great for walking around and an easy walk to the city wall and to the main old town areas. The girls at the front desk are extremely helpful and have alot of information and recommendations. They recommended La Mulata for food which was our favorite place and it was a great! They also helped us book some tours, e.g. Islas de Rosarios and the Chivas bus. They were very easy-going as well - they held our bags until we had to leave later that night and their checkout is 1pm (!!). The only thing that would be helpful is if the staff that is knowledgeable and informative were staffed all the time. Seemed like the girls that were the most helpful were there from 7am to 6pm, which was ok because it was easy to book the tours first thing in the morning and leave a couple of hours later. Only thing is, I left my sneakers there and because it was after 6pm no one could help me and I was leaving the city a few hours later - so goodbye sneakers.

The rooms were very large with lots of storage, we could have stayed there for a few weeks and felt comfortable. We stayed in one of the rooms with a balcony, it was nice to have a balcony - although, there was no view, except for the side of a building. The room also had a kitchonette, which we didn't use and the mini bar was so inexpensive, the snacks and beer were less at the mini bar than in the supermarket. The shower had great water pressure and they had a flat screen tv. And the breakfast was really good, expect eggs everyday :)

Room Tip: Some folks had recommended to stay on the top floors in a balcony because of noise. I think they are...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Wichita, KS
Reviewed 12 September 2013

This is my idea of a perfect hotel. I had initially booked at a big name chain hotel in the Bocagrande area. Aside from one incident, it was a rather good experience. However, you do not find the flexibility and personal service like you do at Hotel Tres Banderas at sterile chain hotels.

The building is gorgeous, and you can't help but to be impressed by its beauty when you step in through the gated entrance. We were met by Paola (sp?), who was very sweet and was helpful to us on multiple occasions. Check in was no problem and our request for a quiet room with strong WiFi was met completely (our room was immediately next to the router). The spacious room was nicely decorated and clean. The a/c was effective...a blessing! It's true that the a/c is a bit loud, but it helps lull us to sleep. Small minor issue is that the unit is located right above the bed, so the air is blowing directly on you as you sleep. I had to cover my head with the flat sheet. Also, if you leave the a/c on for as long as we had to, you get a little dripping of condensation. The shower had warm water though the sink did not...no problems with that. Construction was a little rustic, but no problems. My concern with mosquitoes squeezing in through the crevasses were unfound.

Service was just incredible. We had a late departure and were allowed to stay well after check out time for just a small fee. Compare this to our prior hotel, which wanted to charge us almost half of the rate. Also, this hotel is HONEST and does not charge the VAT/IVA tax on foreign visitors. Nine nights we stayed in Colombia, and everyone else charges it. The tax rule is that if you are a non-Colombian and pay for a room and say breakfast (that is considered a package), you are exempt from the 16% VAT/IVA tax. The loophole is that hotels can charge whatever rate that includes breakfast and call the breakfast complimentary. This way, the foreigner has not purchased a package and cannot be exempt. 16% adds up quickly and good luck talking your way out of it.

I researched all the available hotels in the area before booking Tres Banderas. I found the management's response to concerns on TA exemplary. Coming from Bogota, I was initially leery of leaving the Bocagrande area, since I felt it must be safer than the old city. I'm so happy that I got to experience this wonderful hotel and wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lilorchid82
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 9 September 2013

The receptionist Paola speaks English very well, she studies tourism in the university, we started to chat a lot a few days later staying there. She is very helpful and friendly. The other staffs working there have really good and friendly attitude, greeting us with their warmest smile. The breakfast is quite good, with eggs, fruits, toast breads, cereals and real fruit juices. You can book for tours and trip to the Island via the reception, and not be worry being overcharged, since the people works here are honest and reliable. I definitely enjoyed the place for its price, it is high value for the service they offer!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

We arrived at this hotel with no reservation and as previously mentioned in other reviews were welcomed with open arms. The receptionist was really helpful and her english was great. Our luggage was arriving on a later flight which we explained and she said wasn't a problem. The wifi signal is really good best on our trip yet !! Rooms are pretty basic fir the price but cool and comfatable. All in all a good stay.

• Stayed August 2013
Kernersville, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I stayed at 3 Banderas for a week in July. It was very pleased during my stay there. First of all, the hotel is located in a very quiet area, and the lobby areas are beautiful and peaceful. I love the waterfall and all of the lovely plants. I stayed on the top floor in a nice, clean room with a nice balcony with patio furniture. The staff is extremely nice and helpful and several speak English. I enjoyed my breakfast there also. My only concerns were that some of my laundry was mixed up with another person's, there was no hot water in the sink, and I would have liked to have had the patio furniture to stay on the balcony throughout my entire stay because I wanted to sit outside on my last night there. Other than that, I had a great time and highly recommend it!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Medellin
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We have just stayed in this hotel; 6 of us between three rooms. The location is great and the hotel is very nice. We paid 182 k for a double room and 230 for a triple with little kitchen. The staff all speak English and are so friendly and helpful. The price included breakfast which is a little disorganized (ie no hot coffee either day, no spoons, later no forks) but the actual breakfast when it arrives is large and delicious. The hotel has great services including maps with the hotel location, tours and transport.

They let us have a late checkout until 330 pm which was great. The water did go off in half the hotel for 1/2 a day, however it was a city problem. We also had a problem with an A/C however they changed our room promptly.

Hot water in the showers and decent pressure means we will for sure consider this as an option for the future.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here 2 nights in July, staff were very friendly and helpful.
The location is away from hustle and bustle but still has some excellent restaurants nearby.
Initially we had an extremely small room that had a few ants scurrying over the bed - without any fuss, our room was changed.
Breakfast was included but the second day we went out for arepas de huevos and local bakery.
If you are a pool person, this place doesn't have one.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple