“Home away from Home”
Review of Casa Sweety

Casa Sweety
Ranked #52 of 185 Cartagena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed again for my return trip back to Cartagena. I can't stress enough about how lovely the staff here at Casa Sweety is. They make the visit that much more enjoyable. They have rooms with AC at very affordable prices which includes a breakfast anytime you wake up! If you are unsure of where to visit around the city they staff is more than willing to show you where to go. The pool they have there is an added bonus to cool down from the hot hot weather of Cartagena. This will be my home away from home in Cartegena. Thank again Casa Sweety for the great memories!

Room Tip: Get the room with AC the heat and humidity in Cartegena is rough
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I had an amazing time here. Workers are willing to help and they made me feel really confortable. The hostel is such a singular and authentic place! Also it's clean and well situated. I would just recommend it to anyone! I'll come back! Hasta pronto!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Casa Sweety, it is a lovely place to stay with a clean environment, cozy rooms with A/C, pool in am open ceiling room, terrace for private relaxation, and my favourite thing was to experience such amazing service by the staff.
It was a nice treat waking up to fresh coffee or tea, and a freshly made breakfast to start the day.
Knowledgable staff created much greater ease when trying to navigate the city.
Thank you for the lovely time we stayed here!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I stayed at Casa Sweety for a week while touring Cartagena and the surrounding area and it was the perfect base for my friend and I to explore the city. Sweety is a small boutique hotel with a handful of rooms, a small shared pool, and communal breakfast table area in the centre of the Getsemani neighbourhood (it's literally steps from Cafe Havana, the best place for salsa dancing in the city!). The location is great, you can walk into the heart of the old town within 10 minutes, and also the nearby area is very charming. Let's say it as it is - Casa Sweety is not a luxurious boutique hotel like others that you may find in Cartagena and yes it's a little rough around the edges - but it is fantastic value for money and absolutely comfortable, clean, safe, and very welcoming. We became a bit obsessed with the breakfasts that some days we would rearrange our itinerary to make sure we didn't miss it (and actually they let us have it one hour earlier one day as a favour which was much appreciated!). You typically get a bowl of fresh fruit, a freshly made juice which changes each day, unlimited coffee, and then a hot meal, such as eggs or pancakes. The communal breakfast table is a nice place to have a chat with other guests if you want to. I have a feeling the room quality differs quite a lot here - we stayed in the cheapest option, the backpackers room, which wasn't glitzy but was clean, comfortable, and a/c worked perfectly so was all we needed. Yes, would have been nice to have some natural sunlight but we weren't passing the day in our room so that wasn't a big deal. A dip in the hotel pool was lovely in the late afternoon after a day of sightseeing. They do have a rooftop terrace that was under construction while we were there but we were able to sneak a peek and it's a lovely view! I'd recommend this to anyone who has passed the age to stay in a shared dorm hostel, doesn't want to blow the bank on accommodation (and Cartagena can be very pricey!), but is looking for a basic, safe, and comfy home base while exploring this magical town.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Jetsetter977
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I stayed at Casa Sweety for a week at the end of February. The staff were all very pleasant and accommodating. Carolina was very professional and helped me organize a few excursions. The other lady that works the desk when Carolina isn't there (sorry, I can't remember her name) was so friendly and always a pleasure to have conversation with. Breakfast included coffee, fresh juice, fruit, eggs, and toast or pancakes or arepas. My room was comfortable with cold air conditioning and hot water (was spotty at times). The safe was a little tricky to master. The great thing about Casa Sweety is the awesome location! It's a 10 minute walk to the walled city and docks where the boats leave for the beaches. Plaza de la Trinidad is a 1 minute walk up the street. I spent most evenings there eating, having a drink, people watching, and talking to other travelers. On Sunday nights they have this free huge Zumba class in the plaza. Plenty of restaurants and convenience stores are close by, and Cafe Havana is across the street. The fort is short walk away as well, maybe 15-20 minutes. I can go on and on about how special this boutique hotel is. I fell in love with Cartagena on my visit and hope to visit again this year. I already know where I'll be staying when I return.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank thejetsettergirl
Reviewed 15 March 2014

A beautiful small boutique hostel in a lively neighbourhood full with restaurants and bars and close to old historic city. Including a nice little swimmingpool to relax. Delicious breakfast served by Friendly staff who make your stay even more worth!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This was the first time I was ever disappointed by a place picked from the trip advisor reviews and we were really really disappointed!! There was one review which I should have listened to which sums it up- this is a HOSTEL not a hotel. The pool area looked a lot nicer in the photos but the reality was much smaller, with plastic chairs and beside the grotty dark kitchen/reception area- definitely not a relaxing spot (have added some photos to show what I mean). Our room was cheaply decorated with a strange smell and no natural light unless you wanted to open the curtains directly onto the ground floor pool. The breakfast was very basic. From the moment we arrived we were anxious to leave as quickly as possible- aside from the area, the only positive was that they did let us cancel our booking for the last two nights and we happily moved to the lovely casa Lola across the street. While Cartagena is expensive, US$131 per night for our stay here was a complete rip-off and a real holiday disappointment. If you want any sort of basic hotel stay- avoid this property.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple