“Best food in the city!”

Ranked #102 of 149 Hotels in Cartagena
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Best food in the city!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

We were 3 males in our 40s and were looking for somewhere well located and with the non-backpacker crowd. Hostel Santo Domingo certainly fits the bill! Excellent location, very close to all the main sites in the city. The room we had was quite basic, but had air-con and was lovely and cool. It is a very quiet place and had a good mix of Colombian, Latin American and overseas tourists. The hosts were extremely attentive and very friendly. They made us feel most welcome. We discussed places to eat with Andres, the owner, who offered to cook us an evening meal of two courses for COP 15,000 - extremely good value for the old city of Cartagena. We were treated to what was probably the best food we had during our 3 weeks in Colombia! It was so good that we opted for a meal there again the next night! The likes of a mixed seafood in pesto sauce starter followed by enormous avocados stuffed with prawns in a chilli sauce were offered and made at our request. It was also so refreshing to be served freshly made, piping hot patacones as an accompaniment! We ate it all along with fantastic fresh juices! Plus, their maracuya mojitos are to die for! The service was that of a top restaurant with great attention. We ate outside on the patio area. The breakfasts (included) were also the best we had during our trip. Would recommend the place without any hesitation.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Andrew C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

After spending one night in an overpriced hotel with a prominent name and little else to recommend it, I moved to this simple place and was very happy. I stayed here for two weeks and used it as my travel base while on the Colombian coast. The staff was wonderful and my trip to Colombia will always be connected to the friends I made here. The location is prime, just around the corner from Plaza Santo Domingo in the historic area, and the atmosphere is friendly, with a pleasant patio for sitting and chatting with other guests. (Not sure why one photo shows a pool. There is no pool.) The price is more than a dorm hostel and many, many dollars less than most hotels. For this, you get a simple, clean room with A/C. Cold water only, but it makes for a refreshing afternoon shower in Cartagena's heat. Breakfasts were great, and the fruit smoothies were out of this world. I felt very safe here; the staff is vigilant and the exterior doors are locked up at about 11 p.m. Night owls ring the bell to enter and early-risers can alert the staff of their schedule. Guests were a mix of foreigners and Colombians. While not for everyone, this place is perfect for travelers who don't want to be in a dorm room but want a simple, friendly place at a economical price in the historical center.

Room Tip: ask to see the rooms -- see if it works for you
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank happyTexantoo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

After looking round some dorm hostels full of young adults (I'm 40!) I was very pleased to find this budget accomodation in the heart of the beautiful old town. I didn't fancy the the noisier parts like Getsemani. I wanted my own room but not at hotel prices. Santo Domingo fitted the bill.
Sure the room needed some work but it was clean, had air con and I had it all to myself (It's essentially a hostel after all). I also didn't spend a lot of time in it. The court yard was a very pleasant space to relax in. The cold shower was intimidating at first but actually quite welcome when I got used to it.
As a solo traveller I greatly appreciated the warm welcome from Andreas and Malka who were very generous in their hospitality, throwing in some extra meals and inviting me into their evening soirees (Thanks guys). Matilde was always on hand to assist with tours and payments.
At 70 Million Pesos (about £23) a nite for that location and all the basics I was delighted and would stay another 4 nights.
If you are easy going, not too fussy and like a bargain its a great spot to explore the town.

Room Tip: Check you are happy with your door lock. Could be tighter. However there is a good level of awaren...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank speirsy73
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

We booked the room for 4 nights because it is on the list of the South America Handbook. The person I emailed to confirmed that there is a bathroom, breakfast included and free wifi.

The room turned out to be dirty, there are 3 beds but not even a desk, the bathroom is haphazardly put together (the faucet did not stay in one place, you had to use both hands to turn it on). There was wifi, but it was not connected to the internet!

Worse of all, the workers did not think that there was anything wrong. All they did was sit around and wonder why you were not satisfied.

We found a much better hotel the next day at 3/4 the price. When we checked out, the proprietor, who was never there and the workers had to consult her on the phone, first wanted me to stay all 4 nights at a reduced rate (though still more expensive than the other hotel) and when I insisted on leaving, charged me an extra 20000COP. They locked the gate so I had to pay up.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank L K

Travellers are raving about these Cartagena hotels

São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 8 nights only because it was already paid. Otherwise I would had done the same as other couple, who left the hotel early in the morning before having breakfast.
My bed was broken and just after they had "fixed" some bugs appeared all over the blanket. Seems that they were inside bed's wood for a long time.... No hot water, no internet in the rooms, only superficial cleaning. In the last night, rain water flooded our rooms, wetting our luggage. There was no shower in one of the rooms, only the end of the pipe. We had to insist a lot to change the room. I didn't believe in the other testimonies until I saw by myself and really regret for it!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Medellin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

Our flight was delayed Saturday (after 5 hours of waiting with Viva Colombia we asked them to change our flight to the next day) so just wanted a basic hotel right near to plaza santo domingo. Unfortunately, we didn’t want quite that basic, however our fault for not looking properly prior to paying. The location is great, however the Hostal is in some serious need of renovation – it could be a great place. The rooms are very basic, with cheap beds, a sort of open bathroom and the ‘’window’’ style A/C. It is quite run down and would only stay there again if it was a last option. There is no TV in the room and full of bugs and mosquitos (we asked them to fumigate which they did). The hostal has internet however it was not available in the room. All of this was probably why we were the only ones staying.

The ladies who work there though are lovely, very friendly and accommodating and really nice people. You are able to buy beers and cocktails from the front desk and the little ice-cream shop just out the front is nice.

The cost was 124,000 a night and there was no IVA exemption for foreigners. You can obtain free water from the large bottles in the fridge. We had a late checkout (4 hours later) which cost 20 k which was great value however, and certainly didn’t expect it as we have been refused a lesser rate before for late checkouts at other places.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bicks_medellin
Lausanne, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

The hotels is disgustingly damp and dirty. The rooms have no windows or locked one. They are wildly over priced for what you get. On top of this, I booked a 60 000Pesos room by email and found out they wanted to charge me 75000Chf for the same disgusting, boxlike room with not even a lock on the door. The location is not everything and it is time travelers avoid this hotel that is in a complete state of decay for the manager to think of service and not just profits.

Room Tip: don't even think of taking a room here.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo