“great Hotel”

Ranked #11 of 163 Cartagena B&B and Inns
Adelaide, Australia
“great Hotel”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I had spent 2 nights here as part of a package tour and then returned for a further 4 days on my own. I experienced 2 rooms this way. The rooms were not large but were clean and cleaned daily, towels replaced and bed made up ( same sheets). Both rooms were air conditioned and had ceiling fans. What I really liked was the location in Getsemani and the very friendly and helpful staff. The owner & her son speak english ( my spanish is very poor) but all the staff were helpful and accommodating. What capped it was late checkout (1.00) which they extended to 3.00 for me at no charge as I had a late flight out and needed a cool retreat and shower before heading to the airport. Friendly, welcoming, helpful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This hotel is by far the best hotel you can find in Getsemaní. My boyfriend and I had spend several nights at other places, and were running desperate to find something better, since most places here in Cartagena is either way over priced, dirty or as we feel the biggest problem in this city is - they are very unfriendly. After searching the web and walking around the city for two days we were so lucky to find Hotel Villa Colonial. Prices here are very reasonable compared to everything else in this city, and just as you walk into the hotel you are always welcomed by the lovely staff. They are the most friendly people we have met in Cartagena. They let us use their kitchen, which was an important factor for us , since we are on a special diet, and we got the nicest room with a view over the terrace where we could eat breakfast and sunbathe every morning. Our room was cleaned every day, we even got clean sheets every day.
The location is great, right in the heart of Getsemaní, in walking distance to everything. By living outside of the walled city, you get to experience more of the real Colombia, which we think is great. I felt very safe here, and did not have a problem walking home after dark, or taking a morning run in the park. This is definately the place to stay while in Cartagena!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Amelliya R
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here almost a week. They have multiple places which are very close to each other. We stayed in the hotel for 4 nights. We had a room on the second floor, next to the balcony with fan for 70,000 pesos (around $35) which is great value for the quality you get. They have a kitchen so you can prepare your own food and breakfast as it is not included. They have 2 computers in the main lobby which function quite well. The only issue was the wifi which did not seem to function often for some reason. Overall, a great place to stay in Cartegena which is my favourite city in Colombia.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jon2026
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Evaluation is for a ground-floor fan-room with a medium-large, good Samsung flat-screen-TV.
My conclusion might sound worse than I actually thought it was, but here are the facts:
room was overall clean but with some stains on the bedsheet (which I don´t mind too much),
room did smell unpleasantly scruffy, even though they had put some desodeorant to counter that. I did see a tiny cockroach/cucaracha which also didn´t bother me too much as I´ve had much worse. What DID bother me, was, that the room was hot and there was no real ventilation
of fresh air. Room was cleaned the first day -although bed-sheet not changed- but wasn´t on the second day - I had left the room between 8 and 11 a.m. and than again after five p.m., and it seems that just missed the room-cleaners hours. What for me showed the real attitude of
the place was, that when I got back in the evening, the fan had been turned off (which I had left on, hoping it would help against the heat and the smell) but neither the towel changed, the bed made nor new toilet paper (which was out) put in place. When I reported it to the night-shift doorman, he was so kind as to change the sheets and towel and give me new toilet-paper. So, some of the staff were friendly some not so much...
Resume: for expensive Cartagena it´s a financially good deal - the place is overall nice, and I´m sure the air-con-rooms upstairs are a much nicer experience.
The room I had is only recommended for not-so-picky budget
experienced travellers,

Room Tip: Definetely not ground-floor!!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank globalhobolobo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights as this was the decent but affordable place in Cartagena.
It is in Gestemani, a 10 minute walk to the middle of town
But, quite lively. Rooms are small and claustrophobic due to the lack of windows - but thats true of any rooms in Carta.
Staff, quite friendly and helpful. The owner lady and her son - who is the only english speaking person - very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 January 2014

My wife and I stayed over there for New Year's.

Cons:
The hotel is ok, but the rooms are small and outdated. On top of that, the bathrooms from different rooms connect at the top and you can hear absolutely everything that goes on the other room. No hot water, but it is Cartagena and you probably won't miss it. A bit out of the way of the downtown scene, but close to the Fort and the rest of Getsemani. Good enough for young people or someone looking for a place to crash.

Pros:
The staff, Mrs. Marta and family, are absolutely ADORABLE and will go way out of their way to make you feel comfortable. Katerine, one of the managers, is also super sweet.

When we arrived, a group of 15 young Dutch boys arrived the same evening, making our stay unbearable because of the noise. Mrs. Marta promptly gave us a free "upgrade" to another one of their properties, across the street. That one (Casa Villa Colonial, I think) is like a private house with 4 rooms, that share a kitchen and a living room. Much nicer and quieter. They also gave us access to the pool in yet another hotel they own nearby. They also arranged several tours for us at a reasonable price.

My veredict? If you are traveling with friends and don't mind a bit of noise (and lack of privacy), it is ok and affordable. Place is clean and the food is good. If you are looking for something more cozy and romantic, I would recommend Casa Villa Colonial or the other one, with the pool. In any way, they are extremely nice people that work very hard to make your stay good. Enjoy!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Luis P
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Hotel Villa Colonial,

After a big mistake where they double booked our rooms nothing to complain. I could recommend a room with a/c cause there is no natural airflow in this hotel. They have free wifi with is great althoud it is nit really stable. The location is great in a real backpackers district and not far from the old city center. The hostess was really freindly and they have a nice roof terrace.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends