“Decent”

Ranked #109 of 153 Hotels in Cartagena
Chicago, Illinois
“Decent”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This is my second stay at this hotel (10 nights). It was decent. It was convenient to walk to the Old City. It was overpriced. Neighborhood was not so-so and spotty. Breakfast was not included. Air Conditioner was not working properly. The primary problem was the noise at night because there was a bar, two doors down the road, that played music very loud. No safe available. Good wifi. Great staff and friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bar that is almost next door
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 9 nights recently. I was a bit concerned as a single female staying here due to some comments on immediate surrounds. Indeed it is not perfect but there were always enough people around to feel safe at night. Busy area during the daytime. My room was at the front and there was building work ongoing in building opposite. Luckily I had my sound proof earplugs with me. Bring them -You will need them. The room was a decent size and I felt good value for money. I found air conditioning cold at night and with one sheet, I had to resort to also getting into my silk sleeping bag! But you will need a room with air conditioning for sure. There is no safe available but there is front door security and I was assured it was safe to leave everything in my room. And it was. It is a 10 min walk to historic centre of town. There are some good restaurants in the area that offer good value for money. I would recommend going out for breakfast. Overall, I would stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Helsbeller
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Decent place to stay, but I think it is over priced for what you get. It has reasonable wifi and good aircon, but it's location is not the best and there is no breakfast included. The common areas are well done and comfortable, but one tends to retreat to the bedroom where there is good A/C. Staff are pleasant but don't speak much English (but hey, we're in Colombia). It is located about a 5-7 minute walk from the old city. I think it is reasonably safe, if one applies common sense, however the road does appear gringy and there is the odd character walking around. All in all, pleasant stay but over priced. Could probably get something similar with a better location and breakfast included, if you do your homework. Public transport to get here is poor, so one has to rely on cabs. For the rest of your stay, one can get around on foot.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sandro G
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I think the hotel is decent with respect to the quality - I did enjoy my stay. However, the hotel is quite far from the historic center, and the staff speaks very limited English. That created several situations when I had difficult time communicating that I need a cab or when I asked about a good place to eat. Otherwise, nice hotel

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Before booking this hotel I wasn't sure how safe and good is to stay in Getsemani, the area just outside historic centre walls. Now I can say without any doubts that the next time I would definitely stay there and only there.

Staff is very very friendly and helpful even if they speak only spanish. I booked 2 rooms, however one room we had to cancel on the day of arrival and the staff was ok to do so without charging us for the first night. Very impressed with the flexibility we received.

Rooms are clean and very big but basic.

There is no restaurant, however the street offer very wide range of restaurants. In general, there are plenty of hidden places which serve excellent food, so it is worse to look around in this area.

No complains about the sleeping quality even if there is a trendy night club next doors.

No safety issues.

Overall, I really enjoyed our stay (four nights) at this hotel and I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank tadas_juozonis
Manchester
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This hotel is a haven of peace on a very busy, noisy road. The rooms are on two storeys, off an internal courtyard and so it is quiet inside them. The rooms are simple, but adequately furnished, and the bathroom is okay but with only a cold shower.
The rooms are cleaned daily and the staff are friendly and speak english. Security is good as the front door is locked and entry is controlled by staff who are on duty 24/7.

There is a small kitchen, but guests tend not to clean up properly. The cleaning staff should clean this area at least once a day.

The area around the hotel is full of basic hostels, cafes and restaurants. But it is not a pleasant area, a lot of premises are run-down, its busy and footways are narrow and in poor condition.
The historic centre is about a 10 minute walk from the hotel

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We spent two nights at 120 USD/night. There is no hot water, no breakfast included and the matresses are the hardest ever found. It's located in the unsafest and noisiest district of Cartagena. Internet never worked during our stay although this was one of the reasons for which we had booked this hotel. When we complained with the owner about all of the above, he did not replied and did not offer any discount. Really poor for 120 USD!!! Not recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family