“Casa de Playa yes!!!!”

Ranked #25 of 149 Hotels in Cartagena
Toronto
“Casa de Playa yes!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

i have written multiple reviews of this place and yet they never seem to appear. Never mind let's try it again. I stayed here for years, the first time about twelve years ago. My most recent trips were December 2011 Feb 2012 December 2012 and Feb 2013. By the way, while I only stayed for two weeks at Christmas both years in February i stayed at for a month. I came from Toronto with Nolitours. I liked being away from the busy and dirty beach in the Boca Grande. The hotel is short ride to the old city and there are lots of buses which run in front and are very safe and clean. The beach is brown sand due to silt coming down from the rivers and the ocean is a bit brown but it clean and I swam in it every day and it is so warm. There are so many amazing people at the hotel but my favorite is Sergio the Concierge. The food is good and the drinks are good, there are lots of loungers.

Room Tip: I paid extra to get a suite. I prefer the old section to the new one.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank lamandel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013 via mobile

Too big, too far, too impersonal, too busy, too occupied people to attend customers.
From the beginning things didn't start well, room not ready, "sorry sir you have to wait at least 1 hour. I have to say, Cartagena has a lot of option to stay in this regular, and expensive one. Look for more and choose better than I did.

• Stayed May 2013
GerenciaLasAmericas, Community Manager at Hotel Las Americas Casa de Playa, responded to this review, 18 May 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you for choosing Las Américas Torre del Mar for your lodging accommodations while in Cartagena de Indias. Your comments regarding your stay contribute to our continuous improvement.

We regret that our service did not exceed your expectations and hope you return soon to allow us the opportunity to correct the issues you mentioned. We would like to make your future stay a pleasant experience that will make up for the past one. We are implementing a strategy for improvements in our front desk service and hope you notice these changes during your next visit.

Once more, we extend our sincere apologies and remain at your service as your home in Cartagena
Howey in the Hills, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

Well, if the standard room price were around US $150 per night (and not US $290/night), maybe, just maybe, it would be worth the price to stay at this hotel. This hotel charges luxury prices but offers very poor accommodations. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I have included some pictures of my room. I tried speaking with the manager on duty, but she was not available. She did call my cell about 3 days after I had checked out of the hotel and all she wanted was my e-mail address. Shortly after that I received via e-mail a standard letter of apology. On the bright side, breakfast was delicious.
Quick Notes:
- The safe was broken
- The phone in the room did not ring
- The water valve in the shower was broken
- No Managers available to talk too
- Calling for service/repair made no difference. No one came anyway…just like the Manager.

Room Tip: Look for a different hotel...maybe the new tower next door. It is more expensive though!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank tripJamin
dundas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

stayed here the week of feb. 15th-22nd. we arrived late in the evening so once at the resort check in was fast and straight to the buffet before it closed. the room is dated but very clean and everything worked fine. the food is great here plenty of it. the staff are really great although not all can speak english. the beach is great but you do have vendors trying to sell things to you. the entertainment is not all that great. the booze is good as well but the bar in the lobby closes at 11pm so no more action after that. the weather was great not a drop of rain. went to the walled city the new and old city on our own and felt very safe. nice hotel overall. would go back sometime in the future like to travel to different places. hope this review will help you make your choice.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Barranquilla, Colombia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

I reserved a junior suite. Traveled from Barranquilla by car. So before leaving I called the hotel to inquire about check in time because we were traveling with a 6 month old and a 3 year old. We were told that check in was at 3 pm.
We arrived at 2 pm. The line for the check in was absurd. Just 3 hotel staff for about 10 families trying to check in and they take about 15 minutes per check in. Which is absurd in this day and age.
The room was not ready. We were expecting that. Remember our call. We went to have lunch and returned at 3:45 pm for our room key. The room was NOT ready even though the hotel policy stipulates that check in is at 3 pm. Which is actually a contract so they were breaching it. The manager never showed his face even though he was called repeatedly by the front desk staff. Finally at about 415 we were given our junior suite. The service at the front desk was one of the worst I have ever experienced in my life. I used to visit this hotel about 3 times a year from 1996 to 2009 and never experienced anything similar. For 3 years i didn't visit the hotel, The front desk staff was clueless about what to do, and I actually felt that they thought they were doing us a favor by giving us the room we had reserved. Absurd, distasteful and not something you expect from this type of hotel.

The room was very nice, spacious and clean. 2 32" tvs, but no way to see your bill on the tv, no way to check out without fiscally going to the front desk (it's 2013 but in this hotel it's still the 80s in that regard) normal tv channels for Colombia but no pay per view movies which is kind of standard now days at the hilton, Radisson and others in bogota.

The hotel is not prepared for the amount of guests they can have now that they built the Torre del mar complex. For breakfast we had to wait 45 minutes for eggs made to order. And everyone was complaining about that.

At the kiosk Cielo mar they took 45 minutes to replenish the salad bar and only after a lot of guests including me complained repeatedly. (Monday feb 11, 2013 230 pm more or less). Some friends in the same restaurant never got what they ordered (only 2 dishes arrived and they had ordered 4), they were just not able to cater the restaurant properly.

Room service worked great and the food we ordered was very good.

Parking was available even though the hotel was full. They offered valet parking which is something I would never do in Colombia, but I was able to park the car myself. Valet parking was not mandatory.

The bell boys service was amazing. They went out of their way to try to right the wrong that we were experiencing at the front desk. They should be the ones managing the hotel, after all, remember that the manager NEVER showed up. I waited during my whole stay for a call, a note, something from someone apologizing for the check in fiasco. It never happened. (I check out tomorrow so there is still a chance. I will update review if they do)

The room was clean and the cleaning service was good every day. No complaints there.

Service at the beach was also good, more than enough places to stay even though the hotel was full.

A staff member told me why he/she thought were the reasons for the poor service at the hotel. The new Torre del mar has only air conditioned restaurants. When you are at the beach with kids, all wet and sand everywhere, or at the pool, you want open air dining. So all the guests at Casa de playa and Torre del mar end up using the infrastructure that is only supposed to handle half the hotel. At least this is true for lunch and dinner. I think if you stay at the Torre de mar your included breakfast is only at there. But I could be wrong.

The wireless network simply disappeared on our second day. Never appeared again. Go figure.

Room Tip: Junior suites in the Casa de playa.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
GerenciaLasAmericas, Community Manager at Hotel Las Americas Casa de Playa, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Dear Mr. Julio,

We thank you for choosing Las Américas Casa de Playa as your vacation destination. Your comments regarding your stay contribute to our continuous improvement.

First of all, we appreciate the suggestions we received after your conversation with our Guest Coordinator and General Manager. We are grateful that you accepted our apologies and once more placed your trust in Las Américas Resort. Please know that you have been a special guest of ours for a long time and nothing pleases us more than having you as our guest at Casa de Playa. On the other hand, we wished to share with you that we are implementing a strategy for improvements in front desk service during times of high occupancy. We hope you notice these changes during your next visit.

Ottawa Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

I really loved this trip.The food was amazing,the beach was great and it was close to everything.
Take the party bus tour for some good fun,and visit the Rosaria Islands for a day trip.

More of a family place or for some good R&R,not really a party place,but go to the old city and the party never stops.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

We are very pleased that you enjoyed an unforgettable experience at the resort and the magical city of Cartagena. As you mentioned, everything is near the hotel. The Historic Downtown is just 10 minutes away, the airport within 5 minutes. We are glad that you accepted our Concierge’s recommendations for your entertainment at Islas del Rosario and city nightclubs.

Once more, please accept our sincere gratitude. We hope to see you again to welcome you at our hotel. If you wish, you may share your photos with us via e-mail or on our social media.
Linkoping, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

Excellent location close to the beach. We stayed in a semi-bungalow that was clean and tidy and quite cozy. The service was high class and always helpful. Breakfast choice was good - enjoyed it 1 meter from the beach, but for dinner we would rather go to the Old Town for more value for money.

Room Tip: Go for the bungalows and not the Tower
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple