“Excellent food and service”

El Boliche Cebicheria
Ranked #48 of 666 Restaurants in Cartagena
Cuisines: Caribbean, Peruvian, Latin, Seafood, South American, Colombian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
San Francisco, California
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

We initially made the mistake of going to another restaurant a few blocks away called "La Cevicheria" and it didn't have the atmosphere we were seeking (it was too bright, noisy and a little pricey), so we decided to find another restaurant. Fortunately we decided upon "el Boliche Cebicheria" which was right across the street from our hotel. The restaurant was, small an intimate, but we were concerned that there were no diners eating there. We were hungry and desperately wanted something other than the standard Colombian fare of arepas, rice, plantains and fried fish. We had an excellent meal. The presentation was artfully prepared and delicious. It was the best meal we had had during our 3 weeks in Colombia. The service was fantastic. It was a bit pricey by Colombian standards, but well worth it.

• Visited June 2014

Sao Paulo, SP
“The best Ceviche”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Very small place and great people working with fresh food and all the attention to prepare the dishes.

For sure we have eaten the best ceviches ever in this place. Try el ceviche "Costeño" and one more with "Tamarindo salsa", I don't recall the name now.

Somerset, New Jersey
“Lived Up to the Hype!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I love ceviche, but this was ceviche made outside of the box. Flavors and presentation worthy of any New York City foodie high marks. We loved everything about our meal, the staff and the small restaurant's decor - even the youtube music selection. But it is first and foremost about the food, it is ceviche kicked up a notch.

New Orleans, Louisiana
“an outstanding meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

our group of four "foodies" dropped in here for dinner. what a pleasant meal. the waiter, juan, spoke english so we shelved our lame attempts at spanish for the night. juan guided us on the meal choices so we could experience the different flavors the kitchen offered. we all have eaten all over the world. one of us has trained in france and italy in cooking; two of us have lived in napa valley, a mecca for great wine and food, all of our lives. two of us live in new orleans, considered one of the best dining cities in the usa. we know food. we know good cooking. this is it. fresh ingredients prepared to show off the flavors of the ingredients without a masking sauce. artistic presentations to heighten one's expectations is the extra step a good kitchen will take.
some reviewer on this site thought the meal was too expensive. the four of us ate well for $37(usa) per person, including tip. that is a very fair price for the quality of food and service offered here.
we will return.

• Visited June 2014
Grand Ronde, Oregon
“Pricey by Colombian standards, but on the whole worth it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

I stumbled upon El Boliche by accident, while seeking out La Mulatta, which never seemed to be open.
First, this is not a cheap place. To eat your fill can cost up to $50 USD per person, meaning an entree and appetizer. They also have local craft beers, which are equally not cheap.
Having said that, the cebiche, at least what I tried, was Great! Yes I deliberately capitalized the "G". While the exact name of my cebiche eludes me, I was impressed with the artistry, and the combination of fish, sauce, hot sauce (I am sure it was Sriracha), and roe. I savored it.
My empanadas de congrejo would have been infinitely better but for one flaw: too much onion. I understand onions are a key part of Latin American cuisine, but these dominated the flavor, especially not being entirely cooked through. I tasted more onion than crab. They should leave out the onion altogether. But that is just me as an avid cebolla hater.
The set up of the restaurant is cool, including the water wall and coral stone. Overall, good.