“Never go back”

Ranked #46 of 153 Hotels in Cartagena
Bradford Ontario
“Never go back”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

If you are an alcoholic you may enjoy, if you like real loud music, you may enjoy, if you like dead fish,dogs, cars motorbikes etc at the beach, you may enjoy, however if you thought to have payed for a 4 star hotel, you may be disappointed. It should be rated a 3 star minus,
Dont consider this hotel if you want to enjoy beautiful Cartagena
A disgrunteled customer
hhoedl@hotmail.com

Room Tip: there is no good room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Herbert H
Hoteles_Estelar, Gerente at Occidental Cartagena, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear Customer

First, I want to thank you for the time dedicated to let us know your comments in detail on the problems presented in the last stay.

I´m very sorry about happened, and, in the name of the organization, I present you my sincere apologies. Additionally, I want to say you that I have taken careful note about you mentioned, and we have take corrective measures for issues like this, in order to events like these do not happen again. However, we are not able to control all of it. Although traffic is strictly prohibited on the beaches, some do not respect this rule and we have requested a concession to the Port Authority in order to control our portion of the beach.

Thank you for your understanding be sure that always will be welcome to serve you in this, your home.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Very nice resort, friendly staff, great rooms, beautiful pools. It was nice having the quiet pool (no children) between the buildings, just pop out of the patio doors and there you are, with the convenience of not having to hike to and from your room. Bed was very comfortable, made for a great nights sleep. It will be nice when the trees have had time to mature and provide more shade. If you are a bird lover there are number of lovely birds near the pool, my favorite being the Saffron Finch, very cute! There was a strong wind almost every afternoon we were there making the beach a not so pleasant place to hang out later in the day, plus the water looks more like Lake Ontario. There are tours to white sand beaches and the beautiful turquoise waters available. Quality of drinks at the bar is very good. I'm a picky eater and could always find enough food to fill me up. Pizza at La Trattoria was delicious! Nativo Restaurant was a disappointment both times we ate there, the meat was always tough.
Free wi-fi is a nice bonus. There were also baskets with large umbrellas available near the rooms, a nice touch. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the resort.
The free shuttle bus into the walled city was great no need to get a taxi as there are a number of shuttle times during the day and evening. The walled city offered so much to look at, the street vendors, the beautiful balconies, dancers etc The Hard Rock Cafe has excellent food, best quesadilla I've ever had! There are a lot of police around the old city so we felt safe wandering around. The people were very friendly and always had a smile when they realized we were from Canada (they can tell by the band you get at the resort). Although you can use American money the locals prefer that you use pesos.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money for a Deluxe Suite. It is very spacious.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Littlelostmouse
Dear Customer

Yours sincerely in the name of behalf of Estelar Grand Playa Manzanillo Hotel.
For Estelar family is and will be a pleasure to have you, that is why we will continue working constantly to ensure your satisfaction and exceed your expectations.
It is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed our food; your comments will commit us to improve every day and try to welcome you with friendly service and quality, which should be our corporate seal. we would like to thank you for the good ratings you gave us in the various categories. However I am sorry to read that service at Nativo restaurant did not fulfill their expectations I would like to apologize for any inconveniences ca

Once again thank you for your comments, they will be shared with the hotel staff, it is an important stimulus in performance.

For the Estelar family is a pleasure to have guests as special as you.

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2012

My wife and I stayed for a week in February '12. It was a fantastic experience and the hotel was everything we expected. We have stayed at the all inclusives in Cuba, Antigua, and Mexico and didn't expect anything like those when we booked for Colombia. The hotel is smaller scaled, staffed by people that truly want to help, and most importantly clean. If there is a concern it is dealt with on the spot. Language could be considered a barrier in some instances, but only for those not speaking spanish, it should be remembered that you are in their country and effort to communicate should be the responsibility of both parties. We had done our research and did not go there with the expectation of white sand beaches and clear blue water. My wife picked this hotel due to it's proximity to the old city and the climate. You cannot beat this hotel for being the best spot for venturing out while maintaining the comfort of a place to come back to.

The hotel offers more variety for dinning than I was expecting. The breakfast buffet is gracious, the lunches were always plentiful and the dinners were always full of fantastic options. The activities pool was loud, but everybody there seemed to enjoy themselves. The quiet pool was crowded and as we were leaving it appeared that the hotel was attempting to put a curb to the people placing objects to save seating that they may or may not use. The beach is huge! The water is shallow and turbulent at times, but as long as you are there before the wind picks up around 3pm it is very enjoyable.

The free shuttle to the old city is invaluable and must be used to its fullest. We must have visited the city 4 times during the week. We took a tour offered by a local cab driver, wandered around by ourselves and enjoyed sharing the city with friends we had met while at the hotel. We were there at all hours of the day, ate at many of the local restaurants, shopped at the street vendors and businesses and keeping our heads about us, never fealt unsafe at any time.

If you are looking to be waited on hand and foot, never plan on leaving the resort and plopping yourself at the pool bar to experience the culture of the other Canadians or Americans doing the same, maybe it's best to go to Cuba or the Dominican Republic. If you want to visit a country and experience the culture of a people proud of their history, venture off the resort and bring back more than a palm leaf cowboy hat and a sunburn from where you were above the water line at the pool bar, you will love this place.

Room Tip: Ask in a friendly way, nobody wants to be barked at.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lilfish5626
Dear Customer

Thank you sharing your experience about your stay. It is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed our food; your comments will commit us to improve every day and try to welcome you with friendly service and quality, which should be our corporate seal.

For the Estelar family is a pleasure to have guests as special as you.

Dorset
Reviewed 31 March 2012

The good:
Nice facilities, pools well maintained and a decent gym (for a resort hotel). The staff were super friendly and helpful, and made all efforts to help (although their English was generally poor).
Overall, the food was average only. The grill was worth trying (I would highly recommend the fish). The main buffet restaurant was open air (so there were tiny fruit flies circling), this was my only criticism of the salad and fruit selection, which was otherwise good. The quality of the cooked food in the buffet could be improved by cooking smaller amounts as needed instead of cooking it all ahead of service starting and letting it stew in food heaters. I would imagine that doing this would cut down on waste significantly too. The a la carte restaurant was very disappointing - we tried it once and didn't bother going back. We chose to eat in Cartagena 4 or 5 times as the food at the resort was a little repetitive, and there are some really excellent restaurants in the old city. When we were there the resort was not crowded so we found the bar service good, but I can imagine that this would be a source of frustration if the resort were full.

The beach was good and not crowded (it wasn't groomed, but still reasonable sand) and decent water sports facilities (surf boards, wind surfer, boogie boards and kayaks). The beds were comfortable (apart from issue listed below!) and the rooms were a decent size. Most mornings were still, but the winds picked up in the afternoons. We enjoyed the ocean stiff breezes as Cartagena is really hot, and they made it much more comfortable.

The old city was spectacular - and we used the free bus to go in most days for lunch followed by a stroll through the beautiful streets/churches/museums

The Bad:
The first room we were given had bed bugs and my daughter got about 45 bites. I have lived in tropical countries long enough to know that they weren't mosquito bites (in fact I don't think I saw one mosquito at the resort as they tend to only come out at night, by which time the trade winds have picked up). The hotel were very responsive and changed our room but did not offer to treat our possessions (the little pests have a reputation for being adept hitchikers and I didn't want to bring them home with me!). They did finally agree to treat our possessions but it was clear (after some research online) that they were planning on spraying it with something that is used specifically for treating dust mites and that this would not be effective. We travelled with Thomas Cook/Sunquest and they were not help at all. In fact we didn't manage to get hold of them all trip, and even on the pick up to go home the representative refused to show any interest in helping me resolve it.

I would imagine that all hotels suffer from bedbugs occasionally, but that the hallmark of a good hotel is that it is alert for them and deals with them rigorously when they find them. I had no confidence that this hotel understood what it was dealing with and had systems in place to get rid of the pests. Hopefully when they read this post they will rectify this failure. I would be interested to know if anyone else who stays in Rm 1102 has the same problem.

I would have liked to give this hotel a higher rating, but the bed bugs really were a blight on the trip and a week later, I am still trying to make sure that my possessions are bed bug free before bringing them into the house.

Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank CalDorset
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Four of us has a very good time in the hotel - good pool, good beach, good effort on behalf of the employees - but the food was OK for myself (i am not a vegetarian but pretty bad for the other three who were vegetarian- employees tried to help but language and also not knowing how to cook good vegetarian food hampers breakfast, lunch and dinner. maintenance of the room by the maid was quite poor - stains on the table were not cleaned for 4 days, only one toilet was kept on the bar but no spare. rooms were cleaned sometimes in the morning, sometimes after lunch - so when you are ready to shower - towels had not been changed - when we requested themaid to give us towels. Basically we were told to wait. Service could be much better but after speaking to residents in other hotels in Cartagena, this seems to be one eyed - king of the blind. Much improvement can be made. Employees are very friendly but very few understand English.

When the hotel had special visitors, the employees tried to put on a good show. Cartagena is a great place, if the hotel was a bit better, the vacation would be out of this world. Overall, a great vacation.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We chose this resort as we wanted to see the old city. This was a good solid, I would say 3 1/2 star resort in which to stay and see the old city.
Since this resort has only been opened for about 7 months, everything is in good shape.
The rooms are nice, I personally didn't think that they were that small to upgrade, so we didn't. The beds are hard.
The rooms were clean and cleaned well during the week.
The food selection, it is a smaller resort, so while not the vast selections of larger resorts, what is there, was very good.
Having the free shuttle to the old city is a great bonus to this resort.
The staff is friendly, and tries hard.
So, why the 3 1/2 star? People will call this nick picking, I call this what it is.
Hardly any shade at the quiet pool. Yes, they have umbrellas, maybe 6-7 in total, and during the week 3 self destructed by falling over in the wind. We are now down to 3. (they need some kind of permanent shade cover. The umbrella stands are heavy granite and still would fall over, that's how windy it gets here) So,
go to the other pools? Shade problem too, plus the music is loud, very loud. We have been to tons of resorts, and never this loud.
Yes, you do have shade on the beach. But this is further from drinks and bathrooms! There was one man who told the bar staff he was willing to pay them to deliver the drinks to him and his family, as they were near the water, and trust me, the sand gets hot, very, very hot, and it is quite a hike out from the bar to where they were sitting, as they wanted to be near the water and have shade, but no, they don't do that.
The bar that you get drinks from when you are on the beach, or the two other pools, has only 1 bartender. Several times hubby went for drinks, and several times has to wait 15-20 minutes, (and yes he timed it). And as others have said, yes you can chat to others while you wait, but this is a little ridiculous.
This is the same bar that then serves everyone during the evening and night, and yup, one bartender. (and the resort was no where near full)
Everytime we got a drink, I had to laugh, you are measuring the drinks? Seriously? O.k. some will say that you get consistant drinks, but when I ordered wine ,(Martini and Rossi) I get two shots? Seriously????? Now they will give you doubles, but some bartenders would look like at you like you were asking for their first born. lol
At dinner they set up music at the pool, and then blast you with music, if you happen to be at the grill side of the resturant, you are blasted with music from the bar, can't you have some dinner music? They finally did this the last night we were there and many people commented one this.
The music then goes till 10 at night. You can hear the music from your room. We personally like to sit on the balcony at night and have a night cap, but we didn't enjoy their music (and it wasn't dinner music) blasting our way, so we didn't.
Service at the restaurants was lacking. It could be hard to get someone to give you water, and don't think they are going to refill that. Nope.
Getting wine could be a chore too. You would have to 'track' someone down, because they aren't going to ask you, and sometimes you got one glass of wine, sometimes hubby had to go to the bar and get some because no one was coming back with the wine.
It slayed me that if you got someone to give you another glass of wine, they brought you another 1/2 glass of wine to you. They didn't bring the bottle or other container to your table for a refill, nope, just another 1/2 glass. You really had to laugh at times.
Hubby grumbled a few days as there was no bacon. Sorry, if you are saying you are a 4 1/2 star, you gotta have bacon! And don't think that if you come later in the morning (9:30) and all the bacon is gone, that they are going to refill it with at least some. Nope. or think that if all the yogurt is all gone, they are going to refill it to at least 1/2 the jug. Nope. And if you track someone down, they will come out and see if you are telling the truth, and that's the last you see of them. You gotta laugh.
They have a long way to go before they can call themselves a 4 1/2 star.
Would we go back? No, we have now seen the old city (went 3 times, a MUST. Had Henry as our guide one day, and he is great!) and the resort itself just doesn't have that draw that you would want to go back. You would be bored to tears, there is nothing going on with the resort, (no animators) for pool volley ball or other things that resorts do. Also with the lacking service, sorry no, we will not be going back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Pickering
Reviewed 30 March 2012

OK, first let me advize you that the rating for Room, Service, Value, Sleep etc., should be rated based on the average facility out there and I believe people aren;t doing that, because I am rating all those fairly well, but the overall experience at this facility is definately below average. Let me also tell you that I only have experienced 4 star facilities to give you an accurate point of reference. We travelled March 22-29

Yes, rooms were nice, people and service were nice, sleep quality was nice (although I would catergorice that with room, so i think it is an overlap), cleanliness is nice etc. etc. but most facilities in a 4 star have been and should be. This has actually little to do with the overall expeirience which I am rating below average (Poor may be overstated, but I had no choice with that and that was the next catergory below average).

How about beach, entertainment, bar, food, activities, communication, equipment, shade, tours etc. This is really what make your vacation, and here is where things start to crumble for the Occidental. Let me explain:

Beach: In one sentence...the water is 150 m from the closest part of the facility (pool and bar) and about 300 m from the middle of the hotel area. The beach is a waste land and barely utilized. The hotel (and others in the area) are set back a minimum of 200-300 m from the water. Why? I don't know, but it results in the beach not being used....nobody is on the beach. This is a huge negative if you like to do things on the beach. No beach volleyball, no beach activities, no parasailing, no sea doos, no snorkling, nothing, so be advized.

Entertainment: Other than no beach entertainment, the hotel entertainment was lacking, there was very little as far as the average, so below rating for that. Music ebtertainment was sparatic and usually too loud (an no I'm not 60+ and I do like music, but they appeared to have little concept of what their audience wanted as I herd many complaints on how loud it was and the type). Other entertainment like spanish lessons (None), dancing, little except for at night, and less than 20 people attended). Now to be fair, the vacationers appreared to not want to join in. We had one arm wrestling contest and one beer drinking contest.

Bar: More false advertising. There is only ONE bar....not attached to any pool but off from the main pool a bit. The beach bar (if even there) was a portable mini bar that was VERY limited with drinks, and there was the same mini bar at the "quiet" pool between the buildings....these were a dissapoint ment and therefore again way below average. And the drinks were even worse. First, the tenders are way below the average resort bartenders, slower, with little knowledge of drinks and little to no english. Let's face it, this is an international resort and the common international language is English. And there is NO juice, just watered down OJ tang stuff and other tang stuff, so do not expect drinks to be good. Local rum is much weaker than 40% (like about 31%) so don't expect a buz. I asked for the drink of the day (which is posted) and my bartender didn't know how to make the drink. So bar was a real disappointment:

Food: In a nutshell food was average, nothing much bad to say. However, bacon goes quick and the buffet is never hot. The coffee station always runs out of cups, and is rarely hot. THERE IS ONLY ONE TRUE A LA CART. More false advertizement. The true a la cart was good, no complaints. The pizza and grill (which are advertized as an a la cart) are attached to the buffet on either side of it, and because they offer you a menu and service are identified as a la carts. But who needs a menus for that and you can serve yourself anyway. So this place has only ONE bar and ONE a la cart! So you can call this an average or below avreage based on your interpretation.

Activities: There is really not much to do at this resort, so for pure quantity, activities are a below average. If you go horse back riding (good price actually), my only warning is ensure your saddle is tight and fitted to you, the 14 year old that takes you won't do it unless you tell him and even then he doesn't really know how to do it.....I mean really! Oh, and he speaks NO English.

Shade: Big issue. Be warned! the Colombian Sun is HOT and directly above you, little other places on the planet will burn you quicker. You are 10 degrees off the equator. So you would think there is plenty of shade. NOT! This is a very knew hotel with NO mature palms, thus NO natural shade. YOU WILL GET BURNED. There is an inadequate amount of shade here and not enough umbrellas and many of them break in the strong afternoon wind. I mean this is a common thing in this area, the VERY STRONG afternnoon wind, and they do not have strong enough umbrellas, I mean how long does it take to figure that one out....maybe one day?! The winds really destroy minimize this area for activities and put a damper by the pool. Apparantly this is about 40 days centering around March, so you may want to avoid this area around that period, although other Months I have read this wind issue.

Shopping, non existent unless you go to the city and walled city. I thought Mexico on the beach or Jamaica was the worst with beddlers, but the Walled city is my far the worsed I have every experiencesd. No means Maybe. The bother you all the time and even when sitting down for lunch. The best advice is not to say No, but to completely ignore them, make no eye contact, or you are done for.

So, the tripadvisor rating system is flawed and provides you with an inaccurate true rating of a facliity. In my opinion this facility is poorly dsigned and lacks the ammemities for an adequate vacation. The wierd thing is I read all these reviews before I got here and was convinced I knew it well. I really don't know what people are thinking when the write these things, I like yo be detailed and accurate and not just blindly rate without explainantion. This is truely a below average facility for a 4 star facility and I challenge anyone to prove me wrong with that statement.

I would not return, but who would since there is so much of the world to see. It was not horrible, or poor, just definately below the average 4 star experience out there.

P.S. Oh yes, everyone recommended to upgrade to a suite, yet nobody had the sense to mention cost. The hotel quoted $100 per day. Is everyone nuts! why pay more for a suite, the delux was adequate. Everyone has an ocean view, and who stays in thier room for any length of time while awake? REALLY?

P.S.S. Read Disapponted below, they were very accurate in their comments

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends