“A sanctuary in Old Town”

Les Lezards Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 156 Cartagena B&B and Inns
Irvine, California
“A sanctuary in Old Town”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My stay at Marcus' B&B was excellent. The whole experience at Les Lezards was a splendid retreat, my room a serene haven after a long day exploring Cartagena through the sweltering heat and humidity. The room is meticulously and artfully designed with vacationing couples in mind, I suppose, but I stayed there alone and felt it was worth every penny (speaking of which, at the price I paid, I half-expected to be sharing the room with 5 other backpackers).

Marcus was extremely helpful upon my arrival, offering his insight and suggestions, and did the best he could to accommodate my requests and make me comfortable throughout my stay. I felt the location of the hostel was optimal -- within the walls of Getsemani, close enough to everything, but tucked in a quiet corner away from the areas of heavy tourist traffic and commotion. It was the perfect way to end a long trip in South America.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I had been in touch with Marcus for two years while planning this trip. He was always kind, helpful and friendly with all my questions. He arranges to have you picked up at the airport on arrival which is soooo helpful when you are arriving in a strange city. The hotel itself is like an oasis. There are some tables and chairs outside, a beautiful terrace with a hot tub and plenty of greenery and overhead coverage. Marcus was extremely friendly and helpful with restaurant suggestions, touring suggestions and directions. The rooms were all beautiful and unique,
( with great air conditioning) filled with things collected by Marcus on his travels, including knick knacks, art and books. The books on Cartagena were particularly helpful. The breakfasts were delicious, fresh juice and eggs and one morning corn arepas with eggs. All the staff was polite and helpful.Everywhere is within walking distance. A great place at a reasonable price, who could ask for more!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
United States
Reviewed 1 August 2014

A simply brilliant B & B in the heart of old town Cartagena with complimentary airport transfer. This is an outstanding property in a very convenient location within the walls; it offers personalized service, expert advise from the owner/operator (Marcus), a caring and helpful local staff, cooked to order breakfast, good wi-fi and access to private (or shared) reasonably priced tours/transportation. My very private accommodations were stellar: a two stories suite with a 2nd floor bath/ open-air shower( reached by a small winding staircase) and private courtyard. The common areas, in fact the whole property itself, exudes a very exotic aura, while maintaining a very charming and intimate atmosphere. Little interesting "gathering" areas are sprinkled throughout the wonderfully tropical flora laden compound. These provide a great opportunity to meet fellow travelers. A hot tub, as well as a complete outdoor shower, await you on the roof top deck - perfect way to end the evening. Hire Mayo next door to take you on personalized tours!!!! This property sits in a residential area, so you are "woven into the fabric of the community" . Take advantage of this and stop and visit with the locals; they are very hospitable. I always felt safe walking around the area and town by myself at all hours of the day and night; that being said, always keep your wits about you ( as in any other touristy city). There are great little restaurants right around the corner and stores for "lite" groceries and sundries a city block away. I absolutely loved Les Lezards ....Do come to Cartagena and stay here, you will be so glad that you did :-) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: if you have trouble with small stair cases, ask for a room on the main floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank TinaTravelstheWorld
Saint-Denis, France
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Les Lezards was without a doubt one of the best experiences of my Colombian adventure. I was a little bit nervous about arriving in Cartagena without having a place to stay before hand, so I contacted Marcus via email well in advance. Marcus was always available to answer any of my questions, and made sure my introduction to the magnificent city of Cartagena was nothing less then amazing. I was so captivated not only by the city, but more by Marcus and all the incredible people who made Les Lezards truly an amazing place to call home. To give you an idea of how awesome it is, first off the location is perfect! tucked just a very short walk away from the famous Plaza de Trinadad, where there is always something happening, it is also a very short walk to countless banks, restaurants and fantastic sights. I was so happy with my stay at Les Lezards, and incredibly impressed with Marcus and his staff that I stayed with them for nearly three months!! It was truly my home away from home. I cherish my memories of Cartagena and my experiences at Les Lezards with Marcus and his staff, my experience would not have been the same without them. Also, bare in mind! that Cartagena is not an inexpensive city, so I tell you with honesty that Les Lezards is an incredible value, and the people you will meet including most of the guests will make your time in Colombia that much more memorable. I miss that beautiful city, and I miss my very good friend Marcus. If your going to Cartagena, stay here.

Room Tip: Honestly, all the rooms are very comfortable (I had the privilege of sleeping in most of them) and t...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Hillsborough, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Les Lezards was a beautiful B&B that I stayed in with a few friends. The room was very clean and had great air conditioning. The breakfasts that were made daily were always fresh and delicious. Marcus, the owner/host, provided excellent recommendations for restaurants/attractions and even provided a map with marked places to visit. I had wish I had known the laundry prices before hand but it turned out to be very reasonable anyways. I highly recommend this to anyone looking to stay in Old City.

Room Tip: If you only need a 1 bed room, ask for the one on the second floor. Though it is a bit of a hassle t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Oakland, California
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My fiance and I stayed at Les Lezards June of 2014 and really enjoyed our visit. The owner and host Marcus was super accommodating and his staff was very kind and patient with my terrible Spanish. The room we stayed in was cute. The bed was very comfortable. The AC was extremely strong (which we loved!). The bathroom was a tad small but had a very cool open air shower. We loved the neighborhood. We couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. Great breakfast too!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is an amazing little B&B in the Getsemani area of Cartagena. The location is a quiet residential neighborhood within walking distance to everything Cartagena has to offer. Les Lezards is truly a hidden gem that must be seen to be appreciated. As beautiful as the guesthouse and grounds are it is Marcus the owner and his staff that make Les Lezards truly special. From the moment we arrived we felt welcomed and at ease. Marcus sat with us and gave us an extensive orientation about the area's restaurants and attractions. He also arranged several day trips for us with a local guide named Maria Jose who was equally accommodating and gracious. His staff was always friendly and willing to accommodate any request. If you want a beautiful, quiet, romantic hotel where you can feel as if you're staying with old friends then you cannot do better than Les Lezards.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple