“Excellent location”

Ranked #21 of 153 Hotels in Cartagena
Genoa
“Excellent location”
Reviewed 9 March 2013

The location of this hotel inside of the old city is perfect. The included breakfast was very good. There were free international calls. The balcony over looking the city streets was also nice as well. Everyone was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Polish first
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed 6 March 2013

We stayed at Las Carretas for a week and had a wonderful time. The hotel is well located for lots of different attractions and very clean. The best part of Las Carretas is the personal service and friendliness of the staff, as led by Adriana. When we needed directions, had special requests for breakfast or just wanted to learn more about the city and different activities, Adriana and her staff were very informative and caring. That kind of service makes Las Carretas stand out and truly enhanced enjoyment of our stay in Cartagena.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ronald M
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Hotel is very well-located and staff is extremely nice. Breakfasts were lovely and rooms and all common spaces are very tastefully designed. Our only problem was the nightmarish experience we had when we made the reservation: We found the hotel on hotels.com at the equivalent rate of $140 U.S. per night (for the New Year's Eve period). We booked it immediately only to receive an email from the hotel itself five minutes later telling us the price was wrong - and indeed was actually triple what had been quoted. This was followed by a phone call the next morning and further emails claiming that our Visa card wasn't working (!) It took no less than 3 weeks of constant communication with hotels.com before Boutique Hotel Las Carretas acquiesced to the original rate. Once we arrived we were treated absolutely cordially (though given a teeny, tiny room.) Had we not had this miserable experience I would give the property four stars.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have windows and some are tiny with only full-sized beds (not even queens). Ask for a...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elizabeth M
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2013

My daughter and I stayed 6 nights in a room with a balcony over the street. we could sit out in the evening and listen to the music but when the shutters were closed the room was very quiet

A perfect little hotel in the heart of old Cartagena.

The staff were some of the most pleasant and helpful that we met in a month in Colombia. Everyone made us feel very special, starting every morning with a great fresh breakfast.

unlike some hotels in Colombia this staff knew not to charge foreign visitors the IVA tax

Room Tip: All of the rooms we saw looked nice but we loved our balcony. Having a little fridge in the room wa...
Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Luisa_May74
New York, New York
Reviewed 6 January 2013

My cousin and I visited Cartegena for 5 nights in December 2012. We can't say enough good things about this hotel; it was the perfect base for a trip to explore the city! Adriana and the rest of the desk staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, assisting us with making reservations at La Victrola prior to our stay, as well as helping us plan a day trip to La Playa Blanca and transportation to our next stop outside Parque Tayrona while we were there. They always greeted us with a welcoming smile and we were truly sad to say good-bye when we left.

The building itself is quite lovely. It is conveniently located about a half-block from the main clocktower entrance to the Old City, and even though it is very bustling on the streets outside, as soon as you step into the hotel you are greeted by a quiet, tranquil, and well-decorated courtyard. The roofdeck has a small pool (too small to swim, but refreshing for a plunge during the mid-morning heat), and several lounge chairs, and tables. We had the room right next to the pool, so while it wasn't the most private room if people were at the pool, in the evenings we often had the whole roofdeck to ourselves to enjoy a glass of wine before heading out for the night.

I researched several other more expensive hotels and B&Bs in the area, and ultimately, I'm so glad we picked this hotel. It's listed on several sites as a 3 star hotel, but I think it delivers value much closer to a 4 star hotel with it's hospitality, effective air-conditioning, very modern and clean bathrooms (although a bit small in our room), and lovely ambiance.

It's worth noting that if crowds are not to your liking, the San Diego district a few blocks away is a bit quieter. Additionally, wifi is only available in the common areas, which was fine for personal use but might be an issue if you had to rely on it to do work during your trip.

Overall, staying at the Hotel Boutique Las Carretas really enhanced our visit, and we will definitely return if we ever visit Cartagena again!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 24 December 2012

Service problems started before I even arrived. I tried emailing them directly to make a booking to save them the commission charged by online travel agents (a courtesy, I try to do when I travel, since I work in hospitality...). I never received a response, so I booked through Expedia. When I arrived, the desk staff was friendly, but the manager woman was definitely not. She demanded to see a printout of my reservation from Expedia, even though my booking was in their system. No smile, no polite language, nothing. After verifying my reservation, she promptly left. The desk girl, completing my reservation then tried to charge me a higher rate than what I booked on expedia. I told her politely (she was very friendly, unlike her boss) at the desk I would not pay more than what I was quoted on Expedia. She then phoned the manager woman, whereever she had disappeared to, and asked her what rate to charge me. The manager then quoted the Expedia price.

The room was fine. Spacious and good AC. Bathroom was tiny. Super tight and the shower head was broken. Other than that, the place was fine. Not sure it was worth the price, but the location was good.

It'd be fine if their service was better.

Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Miami Lakes, Florida
Reviewed 20 December 2012

The hotel is beautifully designed and layed out perfectly in the heart and soul of "El Centro" in Cartagena de Indias, Colombia.The staff was great very helpful and attentive at all times day or night regardless of the time. Beautiful old colonial home and covers all the basic needs of the average traveler. The room was very spacious and the bed was exceptionally comfortable and the food was very good quality. The room was equipped with cable tv, a nice bathroom and shower + mini-fridge and a safe to house all your personal items during the stay. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody visiting Cartagena. I will be back soon myself! Great Location, Great Staff, Great Times!!! December 2012

Room Tip: Corner suites are larger and at an angle that deflects the sun at sunrise keeping the room cooler th...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends