“Everything we needed + some”

Casa Marta Cartagena
Ranked #37 of 186 Cartagena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Location was fantastic. Air conditioning was a blessing. Marta went out of her way to help us with some stomach issues we experienced by accompanying us to the drugstore and giving us a personalized tour along the way. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 April 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our time here and were well taken care of by Marta, Anna, Miguel and "Joe." We were looking for a comfortable place to stay and an introduction to the people of Columbia - we found both at Casa Marta. And ps - we loved Getsemani, too.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 17 March 2014

It is true indeed: Marta's house is your house. Marta, Ana (niece), Miguel and Fully will do their utmost to make you feel at home. We stayed in both rooms (one even has a walk-in closet!), and had an excellent stay. The beds are big and comfy, the shower is just like home, excellent internet acces (able to watch streaming video's), and perfect location if you want to see the old city.

A super market is a few steps from the Casa, even as the bike rental.
Marta and her staff are very helpful and kind.

We've travelled the globe quit a bit, and this was one of the highlights of our travels through Panama and Colombia. Value for money, indeed!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2014

12 minute walk into the old city. On a dreary seeming street across from a police station. Small plaza 100 feet away looked bleak when we arrived but turned into a delightful area at 5:00 when the closed buildings turned into restaurants with outside dining and the plaza filled with kids, locals and backpacker types (lots of hostels in the area).Our room was very large with two older but comfortable beds. great shower but tough to shave in the mirror. excellent TV (but sit in the plaza instead) Room was on the street but was very quite. You are staying in Marta's home and it is a nice experience but unless an English speaking relative is there you really need some Spanish to take advantage of her local knowledge. Very friendly and helpful. Small "pool" for sitting in and cooling off. Great breakfasts. She prefers cash.

Room Tip: there are only 2
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Everything we read about Casa Marta was true. Marta and her niece are lovely. We felt immeditately at home.....greeted with cold, delicious ice tea, They helped us with everything we needed from restaurants, tours, grocery stores, taxis, etc. They were super sweet to my children and gave them bracelets to remember Casa Marta. Someone was always at the house in case we need anything. The kids loved the splash pool. We had a late flight so Marta let us keep our luggage in her room. It's a wonderful Colombian experience!

Room Tip: There are only 2 rooms so I'm certain you can't go wrong with either one!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 February 2014

This place is ideal if you're travelling alone, have a basic knowledge of Spanish and want to immerse yourself in Colombian culture. Remember that this is not your traditional hotel operation: it is a private home with two rooms that are rented out to travellers. That being said, Marta and her staff (Miguel, José and Anita) are all lovely and make you feel most welcome. They keep telling you "This is your home", and they truly mean it. They really include you in "the family", and unexpectedly fed me a couple of times for lunch, something you don't experience very often.
In terms of the room and the house itself, I cannot really complain about anything. My room was comfortable and clean, with an efficient and quiet A/C unit, clean and crisp sheets, quality pillows, and pretty good soundproofing. The Internet was the most stable and reliable I experienced during my one-month trip in South America. The only thing that could be improved, in my opinion, is the shower: it would certainly benefit from a better shower head, as the water doesn't get really hot and comes out too thinly, which makes it hard to wash your hair for example - and personally, I always prefer a handheld shower anyway.
I spent five nights here and this place quickly grew on me: the welcome is so genuine, so warm, it is difficult not to be deeply touched by it all. On my first night, I was tired and hungry after a long flight and new to the city, so Marta asked Miguel to accompany me to a nearby restaurant. One night, I decided to stay in as I was tired, went to the living room and there Marta and José proceeded to treat me to beer and wine and give me champeta lessons. I'm a miserable dancer but still, we all had so much fun! This is the kind of experience that I would never have had in a regular hotel, so it is important to reiterate that this place is especially well suited to solo, adventurous travellers.
A final note of interest: I had breakfast here every morning, and did not have to eat the same thing twice in five days. Now that is a feat in itself. I highly recommend this place, as long as you know what you're getting into. Thanks Marta and family!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Marc M
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Casa Marta lived up to its reputation when we stayed for 5 days December 2013. The location was fantastic and despite our plans to go elsewhere we spent most evenings sitting in the square entertained by the friendly locals, eating good food, and watching the world go by.aThe rooms were comfortable , food and coffee always available and Marta and her family were always happy to advise, recommend , reassure and provide local insights and knowledge at the same time respecting our privacy. We were totally satisfied with our stay and heartily recommended Casa Marta's to anyone lucky enough to visit this special part of the world

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends