“The Best hotel I have every stayed at!”

Sofitel Legend Santa Clara
Ranked #6 of 155 Hotels in Cartagena
GreenLeadersSilver level
philadelphia, pa
“The Best hotel I have every stayed at!”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Just thinking about it makes me want to go back right now! The rooms are lovely and super comfortable. The breakfast is an amazing feast for the eyes and the stomach. Unbelievable service, a great pool & ideal location inside the walled city.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
SantaClaraCartagena, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sofitel Legend Santa Clara, responded to this review, 11 October 2014
Dear madwomyn,

Thank you very much for you nice comment about our property and our service.
We will be more than happy to welcome you again and it is an honor to know that it was a very enjoyable experience for you.

We appreciate your interest in returning and we will be waiting for you.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
miami fl
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Not at all happy that they have horse driven carriages that are exahusted under fed and colapsing because of weight. Pls avoid taking carriages.
Hotel is great very tropical. I was visiting the hotel with friends and everything seemed satisfactory except for the mistreatment of horses.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank bibavel2
SantaClaraCartagena, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sofitel Legend Santa Clara, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear bibavel2,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments. We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay at the Sofitel Legend Santa Clara.

Regarding the horse carriage services in the city, it is to be noted that this is a service provided by various companies in the city and are an external touristic activity.
Upon guest request, our Clef’s D’or Concierge service makes arrangements for the tour.
Hotel Sofitel Legend Santa Clara does not operate the carriages and does not support mistreatment of horses or other animals.

Mayor of City of Cartagena has set a decree in order to regulate this activity by setting rules and regulations regarding the security, animal protection and animal rights as well as traffic management.
Weight of horses, maximum of people per carriage and certificate of identification of each horse are some of the highlights of this decree.

We appreciate your kind comments about your stay and we hope to have the pleasure to welcome you and your friends again in the near future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 August 2014

The Sofitel Santa Clara has a reputation as the premier hotel in Cartagena. I had two people ask me if that’s where I was staying before I even booked my trip so I felt compelled to stay there. I was told Barack Obama stayed there when he visited Cartagena.

The hotel did live up to its reputation. The rooms were large, modern and clean and the service was impeccable. 2 seconds after I would arrive at the pool each day a waiter would come over and ask if I needed anything. The staff would also clean my room several times a day.

The hotel is located at the edge of the Walled City. Though, you can walk to pretty much all the key tourist spots. San Domingo Square was my preferred place for dinner and drinks though there were some decent restaurants around the hotel as well.

Security at the hotel is super tight. No guests are allowed. The guards do a good job of remembering faces though so you won’t be hassled coming and going.

There was also a Botero statue located inside the hotel, which I though was impressive. And a toucan lived into the courtyard, which was cool.

There were a couple boutique hotels such as the Aqua Hotel that I might consider if I returned, though, it would be tough to go without the pool and service quality that you get at the Santa Clara. I would definitely recommend the Santa Clara to friends.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank LarryNY7
SantaClaraCartagena, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sofitel Legend Santa Clara, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear LarryNY7,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience in the Sofitel Legend Santa Clara.
As excellence is one of our values we all work in order to offer an immaculate service in all our outlets and rooms. It is a real pleasure that our guests appreciate the small details. Our privileged location helps us to better orient our guest by giving recommendations and offering a very detailed map of the walled city.
Privacy and security of our guests are some of our priorities; this is why we keep some of our areas exclusive for our guests.
Sofitel always highlight the local art, so around our central courtyard we have some sculptures of Colombian artists as the Botero “Mujer reclinada con fruto”.

We would be pleased if you come back to our hotel.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed at the Sofitel Santa Clara for 7 nights. Santa Clara is divided in to an old part (used to by a monastery) and a new building (maybe 20 years old or so). The old part is charming and beautiful. You are served (a very nice) breakfast in the court yard of the old part of the hotel. The new part (of which half of it seem to be under refitting) is less charming but never the less of a very good standard. The staff is friendly and - rightfully so - seems proud to work in this beautiful place. All facilities are of high standard (the gym, the spa, the swimming pool etc.). Can be recommend without hesitation. The main restaurant of the Hotel "1621" must be one of the best restaurants in Columbia - if not South America !

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Manuel1601,

We appreciate you nice comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel Legend Santa Clara. It is a real pleasure to know that your experience with us was very pleasant. Our staff will be happy to read your review as they work hard in order to give the best service in town. I will also share you impressions with our 1621 restaurant manager who will be grateful for your amazing opinion about them.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and we hope to welcome you again very soon.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I wasn't staying at this hotel and instead when for lunch. Sadly someone had left part of their lunch on the seat and when I sat in my white shorts it went bad. After my hotels said they couldn't help me I went back and the Guest Relations Manager kindly agreed to help me out. I had expected to pay, I just need to get it to a dry cleaners as I was leaving the next day. She had my short back to me later that day and they would charge me. A very classy act. Thank you!

Matt

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear MattPayn,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience trough Tripadvisor.
At Sofitel we strive to provide a superior service for every of our visitors and we care of the satisfaction of everyone inside our historical monument.
It was a real pleasure to help you with your requirement and we will be more than happy to welcome you again as a guest of the Sofitel Legend Santa Calra in the near future.

ottawa
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This is probably the most expensive hotel in Cartagena .
It is certainly not a hotel for the budget minded but one for those who want excellence in Hotel Luxury and Supreme Services and who want pampering .I recommend this hotel if you are a spa/ pool person and you want to stay at the hotel during the day to take advantage of all the hotel services offered during the daytime .If you are just looking for a place to sleep for a few hours because you are outside the hotel during the whole day and doing the restaurant / pub scene at night time then I suggest that you choose a less expensive hotel .
The hotel is built within the confines of an old Monastery in the Old Town area. Care was applied to maintain the old Spanish colonial atmosphere as much a possible but yet provide all the comforts of a modern hotel .
My room was an example of extreme comfort overlooking the pool. I had my own balcony which was sheltered from the afternoon hot sun. This was a Great place to read and to just relax.The electronic climate control was not working properly but the room was still comfortable .I assume that they were having AC problems due to the on going hotel construction .There was construction going on within the hotel so it was noisy in the room during the day but this all stopped at 5pm .
The bathroom was spotlessly clean .The rainforest shower was excellent .The lighting was right on and the silent exhaust fan eliminated any humidity very quickly .
The bed is totally awesome for comfort .
Breakfast had lots and lots of choices .You could eat inside or outside .
The breakfast staff were totally excellent .A real delight to meet such pleasant people.
The hallways are open to the outside courtyard or interior walls which are full of plants ,etc. therefore they are not air conditioned .Cartagena has a humidex reading in the low 40s C everyday so be prepared for that environmental shocker.
The bottled water in the room is `10USD/bottle . Do not drink the water anywhere in Cartagena or consume ice drinks .
The reception area is under construction so you have to enter through a temporary side entrance .There are always people there to help you with your luggage and to escort you to reception .All the staff at this hotel are excellent caring people with lots of smiles .I am sure that the new reception area will be exceptional when it is completed.
The hotel is within walking distance to all the major attractions within the old town .
The business center was excellent and was staffed by a very helpful and resourceful lady .Thanks !
The airport is 10 minutes away .Do not forget the airport exit tax when leaving .Ask the hotel staff about it .
The front desk staff are excellent ..true professionals in every regard .They are certainly a credit to the success of this hotel .
Thank you Juan for all your help plus a special thanks to the lady assistant manager whose name I have forgotten. Sorry, about that !
I totally enjoyed my 2 night ,3 day relaxing stay at this hotel and would recommend it any time .

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the pool
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear canadiawolfinottawa,

It is a real pleasure to see that you took the time to share with details your experience with us. This is exactly what we work for, unforgettable experiences and unique memories. We would also like to thank you for recommending us as a luxurious and relaxing hotel, our Spa is one of the bests in Cartagena and we are very proud of it.

It is true that Sofitel Legend Santa Clara is undergoing through some rooms renovation and we made security works in the front office beams that took 3 days, we have taken measures in order to limit noise nuisance to certain period of the day. We have also isolated the renovation area from the other areas of the hotel. We sincerely regret and present our apologies for the disturbance you have felt during your stay.

I will share your comments with our team, especially with Juan. They will be delighted to read your impressions.

We will be happy to welcome you again in your next visit to Cartagena.

Rowayton, Connecticut
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This wonderful, converted 17th century convent, nestled inside the walled "old city" is a luxurious, yet very personal hotel. Its location is a perfect base for getting to know this historical gem, as you can walk everywhere safely and comfortably. Service and personal attention is absolutely first-rate. The beautiful swimming pool is perfectly inviting and relaxing. There is a small workout room, nicely air conditioned to combat the humidity, and the spa is terrific, with very competent and skilled masseuses. A secret hideaway with a view to the nearby ocean waters is up above the workout room, absolutely protected from any heavy breezes.

Breakfast is buffet style and you can eat inside or out on the courtyard facing the inner planting and vegetation. This seating is also available for lunch and dinner, with daily specials. Plan on a visit from the hotel's special ambassador, Mateo, a keel-billed toucan. They ask that guests don't feed him...but that is because he helps himself to any bread or fruit within pecking distance. He is an absolute rascal, but clearly beloved by all.
A more upscale meal is available at Restaurant 1621, and a spacious, cool bar area is available for a quiet post-meeting libation.

The rooms are fine and the beds are very comfortable. The only drawback of note is that bathrooms are quite small, which makes it very difficult for women to "do their hair" and otherwise ready themselves. It seems that each room has its own small, private balcony, expanding each room towards the outdoors.

Although a business trip, my wife and I loved our four days; we will return; we greatly appreciated the superb service; and we recommend this hotel to anyone.

Finally, the hotel provided an excellent venue for our business meetings. Large rooms and excellent catering and food service. Also, during our stay, there were three large wedding receptions, and we weren't disturbed at all as guests. The airport is a quick ten minute cab ride, so it is easy arrival and departure with little wear and tear on the traveler.

Room Tip: Middle, facing pool have wonderful views
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank oystertravels
SantaClaraCartagena, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sofitel Legend Santa Clara, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear oystertravels,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write those beautiful words about your stay with us.
The Sofitel Legend Santa Clara is an historic monument which we are highly proud of and which we take care of in order to preserve the history that every corner of our hotel tells.
It is for us very important to offer our guests exclusive luxurious experiences and this is why we merge the architecture, modernity, nature and art.
Our ambassadors, including Mateo, are always at our guests’ disposal taking care of the small details with warmth and respect. I will share your comments with them, I am sure that they will be as pleased me to know that your experience in our hotel was memorable.

We appreciate you recommend our hotel for business or leisure and we hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in the near future.