“DREADFUL - AVOID!”
Review of Hilton Cartagena

Hilton Cartagena
Ranked #28 of 157 Hotels in Cartagena
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Rooms were average & housekeeping services were minimal. We faced the pool which had parties & fashion shows every night, so we didn't get much peace & quiet. Hotel food was below par. In all, cannot recommend less.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bethlahmy

Reviewed 28 November 2011

We booked the corner ocean view room the first trip to Cartagena 4 weeks ago and the room was small and smelled like mold. The second visit to this hotel, we booked the same type of room, but when we got to the hotel were put into a "similair room" as our room was not ready yet. The second room was also small, and was not a corner room with the nice deck outside like we wanted. We called room service on Sunday evening and were told the restaraunt and bar were closed, sorry nothing could be done. On this second stay the hotel was undergoing major construction (remodeling) and was very noisy all day long. The hotel personal were nice and friendly. My advice is if you travel to Cartagena, find a different hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2011

The Hilton is in a very good location at the end of a beach side promontory and away from the more seedier side of the resort. It has a great pool area, extensive and well landscaped. Rooms are decent but rest of hotel is a little tired especially at the prices charged. There is a nice bar and large public rooms, but receptions is quite small relatively and gets busy with through traffic. The beach here is not the best, grey murky mud rather than clean sand. There are nice views though and its quite safe, but you do get pestered by hawkers at all times. There is direct access from the pool area and security at the exit. The old walled city in this resort is fantastic and well worth the visit.

Room Tip: Front sea views are best on higher floors.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Vinod A, Manager at Hilton Cartagena, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Dear Scrummy

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay at Hilton Cartagena and providing us with your valuable feedback.

It is very nice to know that you enjoyed our pool area and services. We have taken special attention to your comments about our prices, the rooms and the beach. Our promise is to offer the best price considering the market conditions and the product that we offer.

Please let me share with you that Hilton Cartagena is going through an exciting makeover of its Main Tower that will be completed by October 2012.

We will be very pleased to welcome you in the near future, to extend you the best level of Hilton service.

Best regards,

Vinod Agarwal.

Reviewed 13 November 2011

The Cartagena Hilton is an old property that is undergoing a complete remodel. The top three floors are done, they are working on one floor at a time.

The new rooms are modern, well appointed and very comfortable.i strongly recommend the Hilton if you can stay in a new room.

The service is awesome for a Caribbean detonation and the food is incredible. The breakfast at the Hilton is something you have to experience.

• Stayed: November 2011

Dear Hpeters100

Please receive this note that expresses our gratitude to your kindness of completing a review of your stay in Cartagena and in our property.

We really appreciate your comments on the service and the food, this is our major goal.

We are glad you had a pleasant stay and we look forward having you back in Hilton Cartagena.

Best Regards.

Vinod Agarwal

Reviewed 14 October 2011

Just when I thought Hilton was getting better and I had seen the worst Hilton in Pensacola Beach Florida, I had the displeasure to stay two nights at the Hilton Cartagena.

Let's start by the room: THe room I was given as a Hilton Honnors member and a former Diamond VIP mind you, was awful this looked more like something you might see at an econolodge or a Motel 6. It was terribly dated and there seems there was zero up keep maintenance with the exception of the newwer TV during the last few years. We were graciously accomodated right below the floor that is being renovated so we had the displeasure of listening to the drilling from 9:00am until almost 6:00pm. The balcony was full of cement chunks and paint that fell from the renovation above. Quite frankly this room should have never been rented out.

The Customer Service : separate reservations (Because I was using points and also paying it had to be done this way) she told me not to worry that they will take care of everything in the morning and there was nothing else I needed to do. This was frankly the only nice person at the front desk... the next morning none of the staff at the front deskseem pleasant, I felt like I was bothering them by asking them a question, just like the staff by the pool it seems that they were too busy discussing personal matters with their peers to pay attention to the guest. We went for a swim at the pool and just by the pool bar we found an used tampon in the pool which was taken out by one of the pool attendants, when we pointed it out; shortly after this we left the pool and when we went up to the room we found that our keys weren't working so I went downstairs to the front desk in my bathing suit to get a new key. The front desk person said that my reservation was due out and I explain the situation of me having two reservations and my conversation with the person who checked me in in regards to this matter and she said that I didn't needed to do anything else. To which he replied, well you should have come at noon for new keys.... no apology or anything, I explained him also that I was placed in just below the renovation and that the room was awful and I would like to be placed in a different room, he told me he was going to call my room with the new room and have everything taken care of (This NEVER happened, I waited 2 hours for his call and at that point we decided to go around town and not waste anymore of our time) while I was at the front desk it appears that someone in my floor also had an issue being able to get into his room, my girlfriend who was waiting for me witnessed how a hosekeeper open this man's door without her verifying any of his information and just let him in into the room, the housekeeper also offered my grilfriend to let her into our room with her master key which my girlfriend refused and explained the housekeeper we she shouldn't let people into rooms specially when there is no verification whatsoever that the guest belongs in that room... this was a big security concern for me and from that point forward we started to use the in room safe. In the plus side the bell staff was always very helpful and gave us good recomendations for restaurants and places to go dancing.

Las Chivas Resturant - Another place to receive awful customer service, We sat at the resaturant and one of the bus boys took our drink orders and was very quick in bringing them however the waiter took almost 20 minutes to come to take our order (The restarurant was not even busy but he seemed busy taking calls on his cell) when he finally showed up to take our order he said to us in spanish " are you going to order anything?" which I replied yes, I am just waiting for someone to come over and take our order to which he replied " I am here now" our food was good and broght in a timely manner drinks weren't refilled or anything until another of the bus boys ask me if everything was ok and I ordered another drink. Our check was brought promptly by the manager, and it wasn't until I asked for the tip to be taken out and paid that he asked how was my meal. I explained him that I travel most of the year and that this was by far the worst experience I had in a hotel restaurant, he did apologize but that was about it. Overall I wouldn't recomend this place there seems to be many other options in Cartagena that will be able to offer a better product and better customer service.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else or wait until the renovations are fully completed...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank favargas
Reviewed 7 October 2011

This hotel is being renovated one floor at a time and the top 2 floors were done as of this review. We were in a newly renovated room and it was gorgeous. The decor was so nice I am going to redo my apartment in the same color scheme. Service and food are first rate. Balconies have been integrated to make the rooms larger. There is a large sliding window you can sit in front of if you so desire. Buffet breakfast was very nice with many choices and excellent food quality including many tasty Colombian dishes. Hotel has a private beach with minimal vendor disruptions. The hotel is located in the Lagito area an affords spectacular ocean views or lake views whichever you prefer The executive wing has lake views and the other wing has sea views. The cab ride to the walled city is $3 so you can enjoy the beach and the go to the walled city where there are many things to do. Some people prefer the walled city location but that is up to you. My wife arranged a special honeymoon evening with the assistance of the hotel which was so nice I will remember it forever. I can't say enough about the service and professionalism of the staff and management. I will return here often.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Tundarr357

It is delightful to read your wonderful comments about us. Your appreciation of our facilities, services and staff has a great meaning and motivates us to continue working to provide our customers with a very positive experience while staying at our property.

We hope to be of service to you in the near future.

Truly yours,

Reviewed 17 September 2011

I stayed for 8 weeks in the hotel and I am positive about my stay although I can understand some of the other reviews on this hotel. My room was one of the rooms before renovation but it was still good. Most important for me, the bed was excellent and the room furniture was as it should be. The internet in my room was always flawless. When I had my birthday the staff surprised me with a birthday cake unexpectedly. In general the service was great and the people in the restaurant were really friendly and helpful. I had my breakfast in my room every day and it was always punctually on time. This hotel is not a full blast 5 star but the service, the pool, the views and the tennis courts made up for it.

Room Tip: The higher floor rooms on the sea side of the hotel have fantastic sea view
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business

Dear Geluk,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay in our property during your visit to this beautiful city.

We are pleased that you had a fantastic time in our property, and that you will return to share memorable moments with us.

We welcome you to enjoy more of our hotel and city at anytime!

Best regards.