Hotel Charleston Santa Teresa
Alfiz Hotel(Cartagena)
Delirio Hotel(Cartagena)
Very Good 4/5
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsrooftop poolharry sassonbeautiful hotelold citywalled cityinternal courtyardcoconut lemonadearepasbuffet breakfastcaribbean seajunior suitesouth americalocation was perfectluxury hotelthree nightsgreat poolrosario islands
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 May 2011

I was very skeptical when my girlfriend, who happens to be Colombian, organized our vacations in Cartagena. It was one of those places that I never thought I would never visit, it was just not in my list. I never thought to find this level of beauty and hospitality… I was very surprised. The city is just magical, it’s difficult to find another word to describe it. We stayed at beautiful hotel, the Charleston, which is located inside the old city. It is an old convent that was remodeled and turned into a hotel some years ago. It is just absolutely spectacular. It is the perfect mix between the old and the new, as the hotel maintains many of the original Colonial decorations, but happens to be completely renovated. The rooms are just lovely and very spacious, especially when you are used to European Standards. I couldn’t get enough of the food. The breakfast specially is just one of the best I’ve ever seen. They also have a pool in the rooftop. The view was amazing and the service even better. I highly recommend this city and this hotel. I just had a blast.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pablobalana
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Absolutely the hotel and bedrooms in this hotel are beautiful. The bathroom was nice but not what would you expect in a hotel in this price range (nor were the cheap bath products that were in the bathroom). But, we found the service to be quite unfriendly/cool. I couldn't figure it out and then one of my teenagers suggested that it was because we didn't speak Spanish. We felt unwelcome the entire stay. Only the woman who cooked amazing omelets for us each morning was friendly. I would highly suggest that you stay somewhere else especially given that most other hotels are about $300/night cheaper than the Charleston.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank HappyTrails02_02
Reviewed 12 March 2011

First off, I must give this hotel credit where credit is due. It's an absolutely beautiful hotel in an excellent location with very charming features for a converted convent. I was traveling with my fiance, and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. Everyone was very friendly that we encountered - from the checkin staff, to the bell staff, to the maids, to the restaurant staff.

Overall, I highly recommend this place, with a few noted exceptions... First the pros (as many have already pointed out): 1) the location - this hotel is very conveniently located just within the walls of the old city, among many great restaurants, shops, and cultural offerings; 2) the roofdeck pool - this feature absolutely makes the hotel stand out from its competition (the Sofitel); 3) the decor and overall hotel furnishings; and 4) the rain showers in the room (LOVED them); and 5) the daily breakfast buffet.

Now, the cons: 1) the rest of the food (beyond breakfast) - we were less than impressed with the food at both the roofeck pool and the outdoor terrace restaurant; 2) the timeliness of the staff - ordering food, drinks, etc is a VERY slow process and most of the staff do not speak English well; 3) the price - EVERYTHING, I mean everything, was overpriced. Water cost $6US for a small/$12US for a large bottle, sunblock was $30US, wireless internet (which should be free this day and age) was more than $30US for 24 hours; 4) the A/C - for some reason, the maids would constantly turn the A/C to freezing each day when we'd intentionally turned it up to save energy and not freeze upon our return. The A/C even broke our final night there on 50 degrees Fahrenheit (the hotel did offer to move us, but it was going to be a hassle for just one night).

Oh - and one more thing - the hotel decided to do construction at the roofdeck pool all day on the Friday and Saturday we were there to install additional cabanas. The hotel never provided advance notice to patrons of this construction, which I found surprising, in addition to the construction occurring on what are likely the two busiest pool days... Again, just not good attention to detail...

All in all, this hotel was lovely but could afford to pay attention to a few more minor customer service-related details. I'd likely give it a rating of 3.5 stars if I could give half star ratings.

Finally, I highly recommend to anyone staying in Cartagena to take a tour outside of the hotel for a day to visit the other fortress and La Popa (a monastary that sits atop the city's highest elevation).

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fusfus77
Reviewed 10 March 2011

Stayed in this hotel for three nights.
PROS: 1-perfect location, close to everything, inside the walls of the historic city. 2- the swimming pool, located on the roof and with a great view. 3- the room I´ve stayed in, was big and weel decorated, the bathroom very spacious.
CONS: 1- internet acces is not free and very expensive (difficult to understand in a hotel at this level). 2- service could be better. 3- fitness room is really rundown (at the day of my visit the air conditioning wasn´t working (imagine it in Cartagena).

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 February 2011

Can't say enough about this hotel. Just about everything was positive. 2 negatives. English is not spoken as thoroughly as in other excellent hotels I stayed at in colombia. One must pay for Internet, wireless or otherwise which is ridiculous. However in my case, I was able to have it waived throughout my 3 days which was greatly appreciated.

• Stayed: February 2011