“Clean but basic”

Hostel Green House Coffee Bar
Ranked #116 of 248 Speciality Lodging in Cartagena
Reviewed 29 November 2013

The dormroom we stayed in was very clean although very basic. The room only had ceiling fans so at night it felt very hot. The included breakfast was delicious and the staff were very friendly. The place does lack a good communal area but otherwise our stay was good.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 September 2013

I stayed at the Green House unexpectedly, but it was a treat to find it. Other hostels nearby had been recommended, but after they were full, I ended up at Green House, and definitely didn't regret it. It was furnished in a cute way with a little bird house in the lobby. The lockers were safe and the rooms and bathrooms were clean. It did get a bit hot at night (end of July into August) with just the fans, but I was able to sleep. Lunches at the attached coffee bar were delicious, as well.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We checked in late, staff were friendly, stayed in form with aircon, the bathrooms were once one which have been converted to....wait for it....4!! If you are really short then it might be ok. Showers were tiny, same as bathrooms....nowhere to leave towel or dry clothes. More expensive than other hostels. Breakfast included was nice. We had lunch in attached restaurant, ordered twice, waiter had to come back to say options were not available. Wifi did not work.

Room Tip: Choose one with aircon but wear repellant as no mosquito nets!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Yes, they have a major mosquito problem that they really need to sort out. Yes, if you are above 5 foot, you`ll probably find the toilets too small. And yes, the dorms are hot, but not if you grab a top bunk and convince your dorm mates that sleeping with the window and door open is okay.

But, in saying all of that I stayed for 2 weeks, because the courtyard was a lovely place to relax and the staff were lovely. I really appreciated that they were extremely patient in allowing me to use my bad, but improving Spanish even though some of them have great English.

Not sure what the breakfast complaints are about as the breakfast was standard for an included breakfast.

I was often careless with my valuables - leaving my phone unattended while it was charging etc and nothing went missing.

The dorm was cheaper than other places I checked.

Check it out for yourself!

Andrea

Room Tip: Top bunk so you get the pleasure of the fan.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 July 2013

As I sit in the scorching hot courtyard trying to enjoy my at best mediocre breakfast, I can't stop scratching my bug bites from the mosquito infested private hotel room. There are two workers here, but no way to contact the boss forcing me to leave this review, my first, but necessary. We paid $70 USD for one night and should have paid $30 max. It is no fun having to manually flush your toilet and to take cold showers, along with a max of 10 hrs of A/C which we got 9. Also, no bottled water, just beer and soda today which happens to be 90+ degrees. Cartagena is beautiful but this hostel/hotel is not stay next door at the chill house for less money and a better stay.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 April 2013

At first I was really glad to find this place. Three other places were packed and they had space, and the front clerk guy was very friendly. But things went downhill from there.

The dorm rooms are smoking hot; you can turn on all the fans but it's still boiling hot, and you will wake up in a pool of sweat. For 30,000 pesos - $16.66 - I guess you can live with that.

As mentioned by a previous guest, the bathroom is interesting - it's 4 toilets, all in such close quarters that you can't close the door (unless you are, of course, a hobbit.) It's really designed for 1 person with privacy - or 4 staring at each others' nether regions!

These are quibbles. The worst part of this experience was that, at one point, I left (what I thought were just personal valuables) unlocked for a very short period. Suddenly, I could not locate them. The only people that would have been privy to them would be a dormmate - who was not present - or the staff. Speaking of which, some were really friendly, and some had a very bizarre habit of staring without smiling. In other words - and I don't levy this lightly - someone that seems to exude hostility and might be capable of taking things.

I searched everywhere, up and down, ransacked the entire area. I did not misplace the items and definitely arrived with them. I've unpacked at my new place and they haven't turned up. I'm only left with one conclusion - someone at the hostel took them. I reported it to the front desk, and they said they hadn't had anything turned in. I didn't lay any blame while there, but I found it interesting that when I left, no staff said anything to me - including the ones that tended to stare (and not smile.) Guilty silence... or just straight up hostility?

Not a pleasant experience; has me out hundreds of dollars. I would suggest - if you were to stay here - keep EVERYTHING that has presumably ANY value, even if you think it is just personal and sentimental - under lock and key at ALL TIMES. I've not had this experience with staff elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you stay.. lock your things up. Things go "missing" Also.. engage in staring contes...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank prospects_12
Reviewed 7 January 2013

I stayed at this hostel for 5 nights with some friends. It is in a great location. It has great curb appeal with green decorative touches and cheerful decor.

Most of the staff is quite friendly. Julian, in particular, was great.

There are several dorm rooms of varying sizes as well as two private rooms. None of the dorms rooms have AC which meant that they were VERY hot and humid at night. That said, they do their best with high speed ceiling fans and also a few floor fans. Still - be prepared if you have trouble with humidity and sleeping!

The beds were good quality, with nice mattresses and good pillows. The bunk beds seemed sturdier than at a lot of other hostels so you didn't feel every movement of the people above or below you. The lockers are below the bunk beds but they were very small and for those with larger backpacks or lots of stuff, you could only put your valuables in there and leave the rest in the room). That said, the rooms are decent size and have extra cubby spaces and some closet sections for hanging stuff.

The staff did their best to keep the place clean but it would really benefit from having a proper cleaning twice a day instead of just once. Sometimes the toilets and showers were just gross.

The bathrooms were co-ed and for all of the dorms rooms there was only one toilet room and one shower room.

The toilet room consists of a room with several toilets which each have small, pocket/accordion doors and one sink. When you shut the doors to use a single toilet, the area was so small that even those of us with the shortest legs were hitting our knees on the pocket doors. Way too small to be comfortable or functional. Also, only having one sink to service all the toilets was not ideal.

The shower room had one sink and three showers stalls (one larger and two very small). No cubby to put your stuff in or keep it out of the water. You basically hang your towel on the hook and throw any clothes you were wearing on top of the door to avoid it getting wet.

WiFi is finicky here and we had to ask them several times to disconnect and reset it so that we could access it. There is no free communal computer there either - they have a single computer which is available to guests for a fee (a nominal fee but a fee nonetheless).

Breakfast is included but it's a very basic breakfast and not really worth it. They have a kitchen but it's not for the use of the guests so bear that in mind if you are traveling and had planned to cut meal costs by preparing your own meals. They have a coffee bar that the kitchen serves.

The communal area in this hostel is well situated with some tables and chairs as well as some rocking style chairs. Nice for socializing and relaxing.

This is one of the pricier hostels in Cartagena. It has its pros and cons but is visually more appealing than a lot of them. That said, they are stricter about some stuff which many other hostels are not (for example, they insist you pay on the day you check in - I have never had to pay up front for my entire stay at check in), they don't like to hang on to your stuff if you check in early or late, and it's not for the super budget conscious (both from a nightly rate and a no kitchen perspective).

Still, I think this was my favourite of the 3 hostels I stayed at in Cartagena because of the atmosphere.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends