“Nice place, great location”

Calamari Hostal Boutique
Ranked #7 of 171 Cartagena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Location is great, everything easily accessible. Place was clean, staff was very kind, and also the design is nice. Only minor complaint could be that we didnt have a room with a window or balcony and the wifi didnt work in the room itself. Of course in a city like this you will not spend a lot of time inside so for us it was not a big issue plus in that room we didnt have any issues with noise as some people mentioned.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SmackyTheFrog_2

Reviewed 31 March 2014

The location is awesome! The hotel is beautiful and clean. We had a balcony in our room and I thought it was so romantic and nice.
However, when I read the reviews I knew there were some complains about the noise. I thought I could sleep with some noise. I live in one of the busiest areas in Nyc so I can deal with it. But this is beyond loud! We could hear every single conversation and noise from the room above us. We could hear all the music and noises from the street. I literally couldn't sleep at all. Another down side was that the cleaning people didn't change our towels or even left us without toilet paper and a trash can once. This is not very professional, and as much as I loved the location I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Normagra
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I would not call this place a hostel; it only has a handful of rooms and is designed with such class and elegance that you simply can’t compare it to other hostels! The deco is fantastic!! As all the other reviewers have covered the location just cant be beat, right next to some of the best bars and restaurants in town and easy walking distance to all the main squares in the wall. A true gem in this amazing magical city!

Room: We stayed in room 3 that is located on the 2nd floor, away from the road. A large room with two beds, TV, desk, wardrobe, air-conditioning, toilet/shower and a minibar (very well priced, 4,000 for beers and they have a wide selection from local to international as well as snacks and nibbles) we did find it hard to locate the power outlets to charge our electrical items. They could do better (modern day travellers love their gadgets) Room 3 had no windows, BUT it was not a problem. It has been designed so that you do not notice the missing windows and with the great air conditioning it is not a problem. You will spend most of your time OUTSIDE anyway, sleeping quality is perfect, as you don’t get the noise from outside and the beds are super comfy! Apart from the lack of power outlets, they also don't have a SAFE (perhaps not needed in such a small place) but this would have been a nice added touch. If you are however looking to store your valuables then you can do so at the reception.

Location and safety: I’ve stayed in several places in Cartagena over the years and hands down Calamari has the BEST location. Right smack bang in one of the most popular and safest zones in the city! You are only a few minutes walk from two of the most popular bars on the wall, my favourite being Café Del Mar – perfect for a sun downer or two and people watching.

Staff: We managed just fine with out broken Spanglish as did they. Very relaxed and friendly!

Atmosphere: If you are looking for some chill time, alone time or romantic time then this is a perfect place for you. It only has a small number of rooms, so you hardly ever see the other guest! It’s very quite! We loved it!

Facilities and access: Wi-Fi is FREE and strong. We did not use the coffee and tea facilities, but they looked good! It’s such a beautify city. Get out and enjoy it! ATM can be found just around the corner, ask the staff for exact location! You will also find many taxies and a good tip is to take the Calamari business card, so that you can hand this to the driver as to avoid any confusion.

Overall this is in a class of it’s own and we loved it! Very well priced and the location can’t get any better! This is now one of my favourite “hostels” in Colombia. If you are thinking about booking it, book it now! You will not regret it… I have every intention to return! Enjoy Cartagena

Ohhhh one last thing, you can also order food from the lovely Italian restaurant directly across the road. We arrived tired and late, so ordered some food that was delivered right to our room. Another great touch to a fantastic hostel!

p.s don't pay more the 10,000 from the airport to the hostel!

Room Tip: Room 3 is a twin room with two very comfy beds! Get a card from reception so that you can hand i...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MrAyeAyeOptimistic
Reviewed 28 February 2014

This boutique hostel was the last stop before our flight back home and we were so glad we stayed here. It is difficult to find reasonable prices in the old city and we were very pleasantly surprised when we were led to through to our generously sized room supported by large wooden beams and beautiful dark wooden furniture. Unfortunately I fell sick on our first evening from eating at the restaurants in the nearby piazza (not recommended!) but the staff in the hostel were so kind in directing us in where to pick up the best medicine. The roof is small but cute and the cosy cafe area on the floor below is perfect for grabbing a coffee. Overall the hostel is very clean the staff are excellent and I would have been very happy to stay more than a few nights here.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 14 February 2014

This upscale hostel/hotel is well situated in the old city right next to the Charleston Hotel . The hostel has a cozy and friendly feel to it due to the friendliness of the staff and the diminutive size of the building itself.
My flight had a snow cancellation but my room was held for me when I arrived one day later. I had the private room with a balcony which had good A/C , flat screen TV and a small refrigerator with refreshments.
The room was cleaned daily but bring shampoo and bath soap as these are not provided.
The staff made coffee in the morning and there was hot water for tea in the common room. The staff can assist in touring and sightseeing plans , especially if you can speak Spanish.
I enjoyed my stay here , as it is not a party place , although the music from the open-air bands in the near-by square can be an issue , as they can play till late at night. The wind coming from the ocean seems to amplify the music to loud levels .
Thank you Carolina and Anna for being gracious and helpful . These ladies oriented me towards the local grocery store and breakfast bakeries . Be sure to get a city map from the tourist office located close by near the clock tower.
Safety was never an issue as there are uniformed police seemingly everywhere you go . These are supplemented by many private security guards also in uniform. The nearest ATM with a security guard is right around the corner - just go around the Charleston Hotel and you will see it next to the taxi stand for the Hotel at the HSBC branch there.
This hostel has free Wi-Fi reception and a small roof-top terrace. The hostel itself has a very secure colonial style iron gate with 24/7 reception. Very quaint and lovely. The appellation
Calamari refers to an indigenous peoples who lived the Las Indias area of Colombia.

Room Tip: Get the room with the balcony facing the street.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank gerard n
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I would definitely call this a hotel rather than a hostel. The place is very small with only 4 rooms. The room we had booked had just been decorated so we were up graded to a larger room at no extra cost.

The beds were comfy, rooms airy and staff friendly. The location of the hotel is perfect for exploring the old city and surrounding areas. There is no kitchen or breakfast available, but with all the great restaurants in Cartagena it's more fun to eat out!

I would definitely stay here again if I return to Cartagena.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Once I arrived at Calamari I felt what is a real Costumer Services, great attention, nice rooms! I highly recommend Calamari as hostal. Thanks Carolina and Team. Is close to Cartagena attractions, shops, restaurants, pubs, museums.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple