“Nothing has change....”
Review of Jamrock Hostel

Jamrock Hostel
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Unfortunately, my friend and I didn't read the reviews on here before booking one night at this place. We needed somewhere to crash for a night before going to a better hostel in the centre of town. The area is quite nice and close to restaurants and supermarkets... about a 20-30min walk away.
On to John/Juan/Jock... whatever he goes by these days. My friend went to charge her phone outside the room (there are no sockets in the rooms) and John went and sat next her on the floor and preceded to tell her that she had "a lovely body" and enquired whether she "worked out." He then invited us to his birthday party the next night... yeah, okay then. I'm sure this guy has a birthday every other weekend.
In his efforts to get himself in to my friends knickers, he did give us reduced price tickets for the mud volcano tour. So, thanks for that John!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Dougie H

Reviewed 19 October 2013

He actually said many times in front of me, I hate gringos. He would sleaze onto my female staying right in front of me, even touching their arms and backs and telling hem he would like to sleep with them, and this was all in front of his wife that doesn't speak English! There is no traveler information or info of the city, and he told me he has no plan on getting wifi but advertises it as it brings people in. He would constantly sneak into the dorm room to sleep at night and i have no idea why. He is a sleaze and creepy and weird. He baked "brownies" and fed them to us without telling us what was in them and then became very forward. Border line sexual harassment. Stay away from this hostel!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank David R
Reviewed 13 September 2013

The location was really safe, you had a supermarket on 30 minutes walkingdistance.
The owner was incapable of owning a hostel. He only wanted to make money out of people. If he heard the word tour coming out of your mouth he tried to sell you anything. He event went lying to sell you anyway. For example we booked a boat tour to Playa Blanca with him and he said it was to go and return, even if we returned another day. Also there was an other couple that wanted to do the same but he did not allow it for 2 couples, he only could "arrange" something special for us, which made me feel already uncomfortable. When we wanted to come back from Playa Blanca, we had to pay for another ticket because ours was not valid. Then when we came back as we left our luggage in the hostel, he wanted us to pay for leaving our luggage in the hostel, while it was just for 2 days in the kitchen! not even in a safe place and he did not say anything in advance about that. He made up the excuse it was the hostel rules. But the hostel rules are nowhere written, he just makes them up whenever its convenient for him. Also he was drunk or under influence most of the time, he only wanted your money so he could order take out, go party and get wasted. He even offered us drugs
Even if its the cheapest around... DON'T STAY HERE! The owner is nothing but a drunk, annoying fat guy that only wants to see money...

PS I don't know why I have to rate a fitness centre and room service... There was no fitness center nore roomservice in the hostel, and even if there would be room service, it probably would have sucked...

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anneliesva
Reviewed 6 September 2013

The location in CastilloGrande is very safe and only a block and a half from a beautiful beach with much less traffic and fewer vendors than some of the others closer to the Old City. The air con was a plus after Cartagena's hot, sticky days. Beds were comfy, locks were sturdy, and the hostel wasn't super crowded.

The bad: My main complaint is with John, the manager. He's very forward with female guests even though his wife and child live in the hostel with him. Also, at times, dirty dishes were left about by the family that lives there.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank JColbert29
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I wanted to like this hostel- good location in the new part of town (very close to the beach) and the air conditioning was nice. The hostel has a newer/modern look on the inside, but bathrooms are pretty gross. The main reason you should not stay here (especially if you are female) is because of the owner, Juan. He is extremely unprofessional and borders on sexual harassment with guests. He really, really wanted the guests to party with him (we were offered drugs twice..) and thinks it is acceptable to comment on every female's body - and how he wants to see them dancing. Very creepy vibes, steer clear of this guy. He also told us he doesn't want neighbors to know he has a hostel, which is why there are no signs outside, and it is quite difficult to find. He also gives guests a free night if they write a good review on hostel world, so you can disregard those because they are probably lies. As tempting as a free night was, I had to let other travelers know the truth. DON'T STAY HERE.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Happytraveler4226
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Jamrock Hostel is located in a safe residential area in Cartagena at walking distance from the beach, supermarkets and bars. Although it is located perfectly and the hostel itself is quite OK, there are two things about its management that you should know.
First, the easily distracted manager, who calles himself John, is not really capable of making arrangements for his guests. If you ask him to make a booking, it's quite likely that he'll talk you into booking something entirely different, since that suits him better than you're original request. From the first point of view that seems not that bad, but his off-the-world attitude makes him lack to inform you about additional costs which could have easily been avoided. Make sure that you always check for these so that you won't be confronted with such unpleasant surprises, or even better: make the arrangements yourself.
Second, be aware of the fact that cannabis and cocain circulate in this hostel and that this is supported by its management. During your stay at Jamrock Hostel John might, subtly or not, approach you to buy any of these substances.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Traveler0107789
Reviewed 15 July 2013

There was a ridiculous amount of issues due to the owner, Juan, including him cancelling bookings on purpose so people cannot make negative reviews on the hostelworld website.

Juan, came back from a party, along with 15 guests from the hostel at three in the morning. They then turned the stereo on meters from the dorm room. I asked if they could be quiet, Juan’s reply was “If you are going to complain you can LEAVE the hostel, or I can give you a HUG and you can go back to bed.’ I asked him again to turn the music off, He then grabbed my arms and pushed me in front of the room full of drunk guests telling them that “this girl wants you to be quiet”. I turned the music off went back to bed. Two minutes later it was back on I went out to ask for it to be turned off again. Instead of turning off the music Juan proceeded to yell at me in front of the crowd and then FOLLOWED ME BACK TO THE DORM and ranted for minutes in front of my bed (while other guests were trying to sleep). I should mention that Juan is very tall and very large, he towered over me. I did not feel safe here at all.

The hostel was also overbooked, so we had to stay in another room, others had to share beds or find other hostels, so there is no point making a booking. Not to mention it was messy and filthy and it took upwards of 15mins for check in/out as no staff could be found.

Room Tip: If unfortunate enough to stay here, the ten bed is better than the closet (i.e. the 8 bed dorm).