“It is your home away from home in Cartagena” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa El Carretero

Casa El Carretero
Ranked #67 of 148 Hotels in Cartagena
Denver
“It is your home away from home in Cartagena”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2009

A comfortable, relaxing and luxurious apart/hotel in Cartagena. The staff were very freindly and helpful and the location was great for exploring all that Cartagena has to offer. I would definitely recomend Casa El Carretero to anyone thinking about visiting colombia and Cartagena.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank segal111

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Belo Horizonte, MG
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2008

An excellent option in Cartagena; safe location; helpful and friendly staff; clean; and a great terrace to relax in the evening.

The only drawback is not to be within the walled city, but it is compensated by the ambience of the neighborhood in the Caribbean Getsemaní district.

• Liked — staff, ambiance
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Resende99
Paso Robles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2008

Nothing here to dislike, we had a wonderful relaxing stay. The property, location and atmosphere is unbelievable. The premises are beautifully decorated with a great floorplan. The awesome rooftop pool gave us a great place to cool off and relax while taking in the breathtaking views of the city and the moonlit skies and stars at night. The friendly staff will spoil you with attentiveness. Upon your request they'll provide you with freshly blended local fruit juices that will not disappoint as well as local dishes which I highly recommend you try. This property is located in a historical neighborhood and church that has a small vibrant plaza. Here one shares the experience of day to day living with the local culture. The hotel is within walking distance of the old walled colonial section of Cartagena where you will get an eyefull of amazingly gorgeous architecture with historical landmarks at every turn. Here you'll also find something for everybody, great restaurants, cafes and shopping. It's easy to navigate to through the city either by foot or taxi.

PS
Don't pass up the opportunity to shop at the neighborhood bakeries on the way to the old downtown area for an evening snack to take with coffee at the hotel.

• Liked — Location, staff services and pool
  • Disliked — none noted
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Palo Alto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2008

The Casa El Carretero experience was very unique. It was our first time visiting Cartagena and Colombia and our expectations about our hotel experience were not that high since we had heard so many mixed opinions.

I am happy to say that Casa El Carretero was the best hotel experience we have had in Latin America. I have been traveling the continent for several months now and approaching the end of my journey. Cartagena was the las city to visit and I am very glad we left it towards the end.

The hotel in itself is amazing with its decoration and friendly staff. However, what I like the most of the hotel is the location. It is located in a populous area of the colonial city called Getsemani. The streets are fool of friendly people and the neighborhood has lots of character. I truly had an engaging experience with the people.

The hotel was very attentive to all of our needs and we felt pampered from the moment we checked in to the moment we checked out.

Thank you Casa El Carretero for such a wonderful stay.

One thing I would mention is to try to make a reservation directly with the hotel web site and not through expedia. I had originally tried through expedia and the system told me that they had no availability for September, when I tried directly on their site, I got an email promptly informing that they did indeed have availability.

• Liked — Their Suite
  • Stayed September 2008
Guanajuato, Guanajuato
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2008

Our stay in Casa El Carretero was a very nice experience. Our family was very well taken care of and the staff attended to all of our needs.

We reserved the entire house for 7 persons and from the moment we were checked in, we were treated like royalty. The staff gave us very good tips on the places to visit and restaurants to eat.

One of the things I liked the most on the property was the pool. It was very refreshing and our son loved it too.

The rooms have great air conditioning and hot water in the rooms. That was something I did not expect, but it is nice to wake up early in the morning and take a hot shower.

We allways had a very interesting breakfast. It was either tropical fruits, fresh juice or a nice omelet with fresh coffee and pastries.

The hotel is walking distance to all the historical monuments and it is also great for children.

If you take children, I would recommend renting the entire house.

Casa El Carretero was the best hotel experience we have had through out our latin america travels.

• Stayed August 2008
buenos aires
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2008

My girlfriend and I arrived in Cartagena 4 days earlier than expected. We had been camping in Parque Tayrona and badly needed a comfortable bed and a good night's sleep. The hotel is quite lovely, especially the pool. I also like how the atrium is open to the sky - it actually rained right next to us while we were having breakfast. Unfortunately the fact that the hotel is basically open air put us at the mercy of the surrounding neighborhood, which is...lively. There is literally nothing between your bed and the sounds from the street except for a glass door. We didn't get to sleep until 2am the first night there and were woken up at 7am by construction next store. Oh well, it was only one night. Exhausted, we trudged around Cartagena dreaming of sleep. But it wasn't meant to be. A booming party in the square next door kept us up until 5am on our second night. At 3am I crept down to the lobby and emailed another hotel that we would be checking in first thing in the morning.

We got our bags together and checked out one day early. Since I had made a two night deposit and we weren't going to spend our third night in the hotel, I thought we didn't owe the hotel any money. But when I checked my AMEX bill later in the day, I found out that I had been charged an ADDITIONAL $726.00!!! For what? I emailed the hotel immediately. According to the owner/manager, he thought we were adding four days to our stay not moving our stay up four days. I don't know how he made this mistake when I made it perfectly clear we were planning on staying 3 nights at the hotel. But we needed sleep and I figured that the hotel and Amex would clear this up. I was a little pissed off that I had spent over $1000 on two nights at the hotel.

Well it's been a month and a half and I still don't have my money back. Casa El Carretero actually made a claim that the charge was accurate so Amex initially decided in its favor. Obviously I've disputed the charge again. Claiming that the $726 charge is valid makes the manager/owner a criminal in my mind.

Stay away from this hotel if you want a sound sleep, a safe neighborhood, and prefer not to be defrauded.

We found a lovely hotel in the end, which I'm not going to mention, because the focus of this email is to relate our horrible experience at Casa El Carretero.

• Liked — The pool.
  • Disliked — Being overcharged $726.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank jonbonanno
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2008

We only stayed one night but wish we could have extended our stay. We have travelled a lot and both my husband and I agreed this was one of the best places we stayed in. Away from the more commercial areas of El Centro or San Diego in the old town, yet just 5 mins walking distance to these areas, it was such an authentic and special place to stay. Lonely PLanet does disservice to the Getismani neighbourhood, because it may not be as adorned as parts of El Centro, but it is much more rustic and real and yet safe, and if you prefer to experience that as a traveller, you will like this hotel.

The Balinese theme oddly enough is a perfect compliment to the Colombian surroundings nearby. The Bali room is huge with a private balcony, huge marble bathroom with rain shower. Little luxuries we never expected for the price and location. Wonderful breakfast - they ask you if you prefer "Colombian breakfast, continental or fruits" - no brainer, go fo the Colombian! We had the rooftop pool all to ourselves as there were no other guests at teh time. We also stayed at the St. Teresa, and while that was nice too and worth a visit, we will always remember El Carretero and the staff there - Michelle and Luis.

The only complaint I had was that the person in the US I had called had not passed on news of our arrival, and the promised car that was to pick us up from the airport, was not there! Luckily we are easy going travellers, and once we saw the room and the place, were able to quickly forget about this initial problem.

• Liked — Great room, service and authentic location and experience
  • Disliked — The initial hickup with the reservation and car pick up
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple