“Great Hotel, Great Location”

Hotel Casa del Curato
Ranked #84 of 149 Hotels in Cartagena
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Great Hotel, Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Casa del Curato. The superior double room was fantastic: beautiful, high ceilings, balcony, great bathroom and air conditioning. Note that the standard rooms are small and do not have an exterior window. The staff was extremely friendly, accommodating and helpful. They all had some ability to help us in English. Breakfast was delicious with different fresh fruits, juices and omelets every day. The hotel was clean, had beautiful fixtures and furniture and we had a comfortable bed. The location was ideal, close to the walls and to the squares. The only downside was not being able to get WiFi in the room. It was available in the lobbies, however, those areas do not have AC and some days it was significantly uncomfortable there. We were very happy with our choice and would be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose the superior double room when available.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

The rooms are exactly what you need: The beds are nice and comfortable, the A/C works perfectly, nice bathrooms and you have Directv (I never used it though). The customer service is super friendly. Friends of mine that were also visiting Cartagena were totally regretting not staying at such a nice, affordable and central hotel.

Bottom Line: If you DO NOT want to pay Hilton/SantaClara type of money for a hotel, go for a boutique hotel like this one. Those expensive hotels give you big rooms that you will probably not use since there is so much to see outside !
Highlights: 1 block away from the San Diego plaza (nice restaurants), nice shower, nice basic rooms and nice traditional breakfast (scrambled eggs, variety of fruits, coffee). But the best thing this hotel has is customer service: at the front desk and the breakfast people. They will give you directions, suggest places and pay close attention to your needs. The rooms had a nice A/C: it worked all the time. So no worries about A/C.
I saw some people complaining about not having a window: I never needed I window: If I was awake I was getting ready to go outside! why would you need more sun than the one you get when you step outside at 100 Fahrenheit during the day?!

background: I went to Cartagena for a wedding of a close friend of mine in July 2013. I have been in Cartagena a few times (being from Bogota I went there about 4 times during my 20's). In my previous visit in 2012 I stayed with my new girlfriend at the Hilton. I did that because I did not wanted to risk her not liking a particular hotel or the Old City. Bad choice !: since all the colonial buildings and nice restaurants are located inside the old city, there is no point in staying far away from it. I ended paying 6 dollars for a taxi (3 each way) everytime we went from the Hilton to the walled city. My girlfriend ended up asking why would I take her to a hotel far away from everything. That was in 2012. Staying here at "Casa del Curato" was a smart choice for 2013: even the farthest place in the old city is only a 15-min walk away. Totally safe to walk even after the party is over.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mauricio R
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

I was fortunate to get upgraded to a large room with a balcony, otherwise I may have had a room without a window...and there are many at this hotel. The upside: lovely building overall with a helpful staff in a great location. Also the breakfast was quite delicious every morning. The downside: no WiFi in the the room because the walls were too thick!...really? hmmmmmmm Also the safe was operated with a key, not a keypad code, the only one I saw in South America. I had to return to the room for more money on one occasion but left the key (THE ONLY KEY to the safe) in my bag on the beach so I had to go all way the back, get the key and do it all again....my fault but please get a safe with a combination lock!

Room Tip: make sure you ask for a room with a window
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bruce P
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

We stayed five nights at Casa del Curato and enjoyed the friendly staff, the delicious breakfasts and the great location. We stayed in a standard room on the second floor and while it was a small room, it was fine for us. Like many colonial Latin American buildings, the rooms face an interior, open-air courtyard, which means that the windows do not open up to the street but to the inside of the building. On the first floor, the rooms are probably darker than those on the second. For privacy reasons, most people keep the wooden window coverings closed. On the second floor of the hotel, you will have more privacy, so ask for a second-floor room. If light is important to you, pick one of the suites, which have balconies. Those rooms are much larger but we decided to save our money so we could splurge on Cartagena's many amazing restaurants instead.

Speaking of restaurants, Casa del Curato is within walking distance of several great places to eat. La Cevicheria, which Anthony Bourdain featured on No Reservations, is around the corner from the hotel. We also enjoyed the breakfasts at Casa del Curato. Every morning, the cook provided fresh squeezed juice (we tried guava, pineapple, orange and melon), a plate of sliced fruit and either scrambled eggs, pancakes or arepas. We also really enjoyed the rooftop terrace. It was way too hot to go up there during the afternoon but it was very pleasant in the morning and at sunset for a nice place to read, sip a cold drink and enjoy the scenery.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the second floor for more privacy and light.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank worldlywahoo
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

Not sure how they could parade a trip advisor recommendation in the lobby of this "hotel", whose pictures are most deceiving. Not sure who worte the othre reviews as well, failing to mention one important point, that there are no windows to the rooms. Since I could not cancel, I found myself forced to upgrade to a suite. Anyone would be much better of going to cochera de hobo, next door, where I stayed after. This is really a scam, with no windows except in the suites, not so budget anymore...

Room Tip: Suites are the only rooms with a window. The others open directly on a corridor. no air, quite suffo...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank h75_13
GerenciaCurato, Gerente at Hotel Casa del Curato, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Thank you for your opinion, we are sorry that you found your stay disappointing. Every room has a window, rooms at the economic rate however, face the lobby and not the outside. This is the first time that we have a complaint for the lack of windows facing the exterior. This house is of Colonial style and respects the architecture of the 18th Century which gives the charm and authenticity to our hotel.
London/Athens
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

This hotel is located in a central location.Close to everything.Despite being central it is in a very quiet location. 24 hours reception and super safe.The rooms have a key safe.They provide a laundry service and all hotel staff was super helpful,polite and friendly.
For the non-spanish speakers, you are lucky as the receptionist have very good level of English.Free internet and wifi available.
Reception can organize tours for you(Totumo Volcano) or give an estimate of organized tour prices and you can then compare around.
Rooms are super clean and comfy.Lovely bathroom with hot running showers.
Top floor bedrooms have plenty of day light, but ground floor ones only have a window opening at communal hallway, therefore no privacy or plenty of day light.
Yammy breakfast everyday!!
Only down side, but small detail,there were plenty of hungry mosquitos.Mostly in communal areas(breakfast, swimming pool, internet corner).
I could not recommend it more.Excellent stay.Thank you!

Room Tip: Go for top floor bedrooms for more privacy and plenty of daylight coming through. Have mosquito ant...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Iliolouloudo
PC Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

The building is located on one of the typical streets in the inner city. Once inside you are surrounded by a mini-tropical like atmosphere that is very appealing. This is an open air setting so it can be humid and warm outside your room but remember you are in Cartagena!. We had a balcony room that overlooked the street and we had our excellent pizza from the small restaurant a few steps away during the evening twice. You here the 'sounds of Cartagena' until about midnight but nothing intense enough that will cause you to question your stay here. The staff here were great! Alejandro spoke enough English for any questions you might have and was very accommodating. Room and bathroom was clean and a/c works well. Hot water is very hot but in limited amounts. The complimentary morning breakfast was fresh fruit, juice, coffee,and either eggs or pancake with that was the perfect amount served by a very friendly and always smiling chef! Free Wi-Fi provided but may not reach upstairs at times so just step outside your room and sit in open air area. Great value for the money! We will stay here again if we come back to Cartagena!

Room Tip: We had to cover the small window above our room door from the inside to block the lighting entering...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple