“Pleasant hotel in great location”

Hotel Casa del Curato
Ranked #91 of 155 Hotels in Cartagena
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

Casa del Curato is a pleasant little hotel in an excellent area full of beautiful boutique hotels. The location is great, near Plaza San Diego and an easy stroll anywhere in San Diego and El Centro. Tons of bars and restaurants in a 5 min radius. The hotel itself is quite nice. Our room was attractive though felt a bit spartan, and we had one of the nicest ones. The balcony was nice. The bed was very hard. The shower was never warmer than lukewarm at best. The street noise was fine at night but got loud in the morning. And frustratingly the hotel's wifi didn't stretch to our bedroom. The breakfast is repetitive and pleasant - eggs, toast and fruit, served next to a 'swimming pool' that is probably about 2 or 3 metres squared in size! The communal areas are pleasant for sitting and the staff pleasant. The trip they arranged for us to the mud volcano was good, and they supplied beach towels for our beach trips. One annoyance was that their front door is always locked - secure, but left us forever standing on the street waiting for someone to answer the bell! Overall not bad, but those seeking a boutique hotel could do better - though likely at a higher cost.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank ms_scotsgirl
There are newer reviews for Hotel Casa del Curato

Reviewed 6 August 2013

We spent one night here on our way to Santa Marta. A lovely little hotel with friendly, helpful staff. I had requested a 2nd floor room when booking, but we were given a first floor without windows. (I forgot that I'd made the request, so can't criticize), anyway, despite the small size and mo windows, the room was perfectly fine.

Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Spent 4 nights at Casa del Curato. We had a "suite" with balcony that overlooked the pool. The room had a double bed and a twin bed and there was a safe in the closet.. The shower was a large walk in with glass doors. It is a charming hotel that is two blocks away from the wall and near several plazas with restaurants. The front desk guy was very helpful and spoke good English. The hotel is two blocks away from a fun bar El Balcon which we read about on Trip Advisor. We ended up going to El Balcon twice for their Coco loco drinks (coconut cream, vodka and lime- very refreshing)- one of the owners Helen even made us drinks to take with us in "to go " cups (legal in Cartagena to walk on the street with a drink). The hotel is on a quiet street but is a good location and we were able to walk to the far end of the old city in 15 minutes.

Room Tip: We had the air conditioning on at night so couldn't hear any noise. Even though it is on a quie...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Casa del Curato. The superior double room was fantastic: beautiful, high ceilings, balcony, great bathroom and air conditioning. Note that the standard rooms are small and do not have an exterior window. The staff was extremely friendly, accommodating and helpful. They all had some ability to help us in English. Breakfast was delicious with different fresh fruits, juices and omelets every day. The hotel was clean, had beautiful fixtures and furniture and we had a comfortable bed. The location was ideal, close to the walls and to the squares. The only downside was not being able to get WiFi in the room. It was available in the lobbies, however, those areas do not have AC and some days it was significantly uncomfortable there. We were very happy with our choice and would be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose the superior double room when available.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2013

The rooms are exactly what you need: The beds are nice and comfortable, the A/C works perfectly, nice bathrooms and you have Directv (I never used it though). The customer service is super friendly. Friends of mine that were also visiting Cartagena were totally regretting not staying at such a nice, affordable and central hotel.

Bottom Line: If you DO NOT want to pay Hilton/SantaClara type of money for a hotel, go for a boutique hotel like this one. Those expensive hotels give you big rooms that you will probably not use since there is so much to see outside !
Highlights: 1 block away from the San Diego plaza (nice restaurants), nice shower, nice basic rooms and nice traditional breakfast (scrambled eggs, variety of fruits, coffee). But the best thing this hotel has is customer service: at the front desk and the breakfast people. They will give you directions, suggest places and pay close attention to your needs. The rooms had a nice A/C: it worked all the time. So no worries about A/C.
I saw some people complaining about not having a window: I never needed I window: If I was awake I was getting ready to go outside! why would you need more sun than the one you get when you step outside at 100 Fahrenheit during the day?!

background: I went to Cartagena for a wedding of a close friend of mine in July 2013. I have been in Cartagena a few times (being from Bogota I went there about 4 times during my 20's). In my previous visit in 2012 I stayed with my new girlfriend at the Hilton. I did that because I did not wanted to risk her not liking a particular hotel or the Old City. Bad choice !: since all the colonial buildings and nice restaurants are located inside the old city, there is no point in staying far away from it. I ended paying 6 dollars for a taxi (3 each way) everytime we went from the Hilton to the walled city. My girlfriend ended up asking why would I take her to a hotel far away from everything. That was in 2012. Staying here at "Casa del Curato" was a smart choice for 2013: even the farthest place in the old city is only a 15-min walk away. Totally safe to walk even after the party is over.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mauricio R
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I was fortunate to get upgraded to a large room with a balcony, otherwise I may have had a room without a window...and there are many at this hotel. The upside: lovely building overall with a helpful staff in a great location. Also the breakfast was quite delicious every morning. The downside: no WiFi in the the room because the walls were too thick!...really? hmmmmmmm Also the safe was operated with a key, not a keypad code, the only one I saw in South America. I had to return to the room for more money on one occasion but left the key (THE ONLY KEY to the safe) in my bag on the beach so I had to go all way the back, get the key and do it all again....my fault but please get a safe with a combination lock!

Room Tip: make sure you ask for a room with a window
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bruce P
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We stayed five nights at Casa del Curato and enjoyed the friendly staff, the delicious breakfasts and the great location. We stayed in a standard room on the second floor and while it was a small room, it was fine for us. Like many colonial Latin American buildings, the rooms face an interior, open-air courtyard, which means that the windows do not open up to the street but to the inside of the building. On the first floor, the rooms are probably darker than those on the second. For privacy reasons, most people keep the wooden window coverings closed. On the second floor of the hotel, you will have more privacy, so ask for a second-floor room. If light is important to you, pick one of the suites, which have balconies. Those rooms are much larger but we decided to save our money so we could splurge on Cartagena's many amazing restaurants instead.

Speaking of restaurants, Casa del Curato is within walking distance of several great places to eat. La Cevicheria, which Anthony Bourdain featured on No Reservations, is around the corner from the hotel. We also enjoyed the breakfasts at Casa del Curato. Every morning, the cook provided fresh squeezed juice (we tried guava, pineapple, orange and melon), a plate of sliced fruit and either scrambled eggs, pancakes or arepas. We also really enjoyed the rooftop terrace. It was way too hot to go up there during the afternoon but it was very pleasant in the morning and at sunset for a nice place to read, sip a cold drink and enjoy the scenery.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the second floor for more privacy and light.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple