“Good hotel near the beach”
Review of Hotel Bahia

Hotel Bahia
Ranked #105 of 155 Hotels in Cartagena
Bennekom, Netherlands
“Good hotel near the beach”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

The hotel is clean and the rooms are OK. The distance to the beach is a few minutes walk and the beach of Bocagrande is extensive. The distance to the old town is about 5 km, which can be covered with a public bus. The service was very good. Small but good swimming pool. Restaurants around the corner.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gert09

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
New York
Reviewed 11 June 2013 via mobile

The only reason this is 3 star is the pool. The rooms had hair, mop strands and brown crud on the floor and the cleaning solution smells nasty. For $116 a night in a developing country I'd expect better. Breakfast was tasty and well cooked. Staff and cleaning people mostly eager to help. Bus tour of the city was a bit ghetto and we left part way through. Only stayed here because of good hotels.com deal.

• Stayed June 2013
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I decided to go to Cartagena in a four days break. I went to this hotel where I had been about three times years ago. I prefer this hotel for three main reasons:
1. Its location; it is in Bocagrande, the tourists place in the city. The major hotels are there, as well as good restaurants, some cafés, supermarkets, and great beaches (if you want to watch the sunset); and you can walk to all those places in a few minutes. Besides, you are just five minutes by taxi next to the Old City with its big walls and fortresses.
2. It has a swimming pool; yes; I know that going to Cartagena looking for a swimming pool makes no sense. Notwithstanding, i really prefer to swim the clean swimming pool than the dark sea and sand of Cartagena beaches. Don't blame on me, I was born in a fully transparent sea and coral sands island.
3. Its price; it's not really expensive in relation to other hotels of its category in the same area. Not too cheap, but if you plan is to spend your time tanning by the swimming pool and walking around to have drinks of food, you'll love this hotel. The breakfast is included in the price but is very regular. I never tried the restaurant for lunch nor dinner. I think there are better options in such a wonderful city like Cartagena. You can find really good food and drinks too in the Old City.

Yes; I would be back to this again if I go to Cartagena. But if you want a fancy hotel and rooms, this is not your place.

Room Tip: If you want a decent view (other than the wall of the building in front of you), ask for rooms with...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Diogenescl
Stuart, Florida
Reviewed 25 February 2013 via mobile

My second stay here was not as good as first. Very dated rooms. Beds very close to floor and not very comfortable. The A/C not very good and had to change rooms and the new room was only slightly better. Hot water was hard to adjust. Over all was not a bad place just not worth what they charge. Not many guests and signs if money problems. Ran out of toliet paper 3 times in the week. Breakfast is not varied but is good. Good location on extreme end near the main street in Boca grande

• Stayed February 2013
Los Angeles
Reviewed 18 January 2013 via mobile

This place is as bare bones as you get. We probably paid a premium because of timing when we booked and it was over New Year's.

The front desk staff was really friendly. Check in was a breeze. Then we got to our room. Beds were low to the floor, bathroom was tiny. The place just had a feel of being 'old' to the point that I didn't want to walk barefoot on the tile floor. Our safe had issues and I repeatedly had to get the jefe to open it. The lighting was poor in the room and bathroom. Maid service was spotty. We'd be gone all day and still come back to unmade beds...even when I'd see the maid on our floor, close to our room when we'd leave. Windows are flimsy - be prepared to hear outside noise.

While it's nice that breakfast is included, the selection is pretty non-existent. You'll just be having eggs, bread, juice and coffee every morning, unless you select the continental menu.

The pool was good size, however the curvy molded lounge chairs don't allow you to lay on your stomach. There is also a slide for the pool.

For what we paid, I think you're better off finding another property.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Sydney
Reviewed 12 January 2013

I loved this hotel. 1958 high style in the lobby and public areas and what is great nothing has changed since. The rooms are again typical 50's which could do with a tidy up, but again the style was fantastic. Great staff and great facilities. Pool fantastic. In terms of price again slightly more expensive that the rooms dictated but overall a great experience. The best was the breakfast service wonderful, I love the 1950's

Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AUSISYD
Toronto
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I stayed at Bahia with another woman for 3 nights. The staff was great, the rooms were fine, nice hot shower and the pool was amazing, big and empty when we were there. The free breakfast was yummy. The location is great, close to the beach, shopping and many restaurants of all prices. I felt very safe at all times of night. The staff was very friendly and they remembered our names (although I didn't remember telling them my name).

The wireless worked best in the lobby which was great because I had a lovely chat with the night watch man.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends