All reviewsold citywalled cityexposed brickwithin walking distancesmall pooltourist sitesinner courtyardrooftop poolcomfortable bedsplenty of hot waterreception areabreakfast roomlocation is idealthe ground floorbeautiful hotelthe air conditioningstaff was very friendly and helpful
Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

I want to be able to give this hotel 5 stars but I just can't. The beautiful building, location, pool and some of the friendly staff are worthy of it but I had such a bad customer experience before hand and an average experience on arrival which just can't be overlooked. It was a downer and took me an entire day after arrival to relax and enjoy the rest of my stay.

I preface this by explaining I'd stayed in Buenos Aires, throughout Peru & Medellin before Cartagena and all other locations excelled in terms of customer service. All were small b&b's whereas this is the only larger brand style hotel I stayed in so I expected a more well oiled machine that I experienced.

I booked online direct through the hotel's website. No problems here, I received an automatic booking confirmation. I followed up with an email to find out how much a transfer from the airport would cost and that's when the bizarre communication started. By bizarre I mean no response for weeks even after several emails, I even tried sending from two different email addresses. I resorted to contacting them through their direct contact box on the website and eventually got a response but when I replied directly back to that to lock in my transfer I got nothing again! I'm pretty sure the messages weren't getting blocked but maybe something weird was happening because they were located in Colombia, mind you I had no email issues with Medellin.

So I got to the point I was in Peru and still didn't know if I had a transfer lined up so I resigned to skyping them once I got to Medellin. So I call them the day before arrival and no they didn't have my transfer booked in so they organised it for me on the phone. Low and behold when I arrive at the airport there is no driver to pick me up. It saved me money by catching a taxi instead but that's not the point! As a solo female traveller I prefer to have a car booked for arrival and catch taxis back to the airports.

So I arrive and everything is ok, I arrived about 11am so was too early to access my room but was able to use the pool etc. which was great. So after being there all day and it's time to check in my room isn't ready and I had to wait an extra half an hour. It was just frustrating as I had a late arvo walking tour booked in and needed to freshen up and head out straight away so I was in a major rush with no time.

From then on the service was fine but the damage was done. I just made the most of the pool for the next few days and enjoyed the room which was huge. It was quite a dark room but in this extremely hot climate I actually don't mind that as it was very cool and a relief from the heat.

So that was my experience, take it as you will. I know Colombians have a different take on time but if Medellin can get their stuff together I think so can Cartagena seeing as it's such a touristic town but maybe that is part of the problem!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank traveller24h
Reviewed 22 August 2017

This hotel is ideally located just a few minutes from restaurants and historic sites.
Rooms are large with quirky colonial decor, comfortable beds, great showers and reasonably quiet effective aircon.
Staff are pleasant, helpful and friendly.
Breakfast is average at best with not enough space for all guests to sit inside.
There is a plunge pool of the roof terrace which was a welcome relief from the heat when sunbathing.
We had two large rooms on the ground floor effectively with no windows. The patio style doors opened onto the shady courtyard, therefore for privacy we had to keep the curtains shut throughout. This did not present a major problem however it was not ideal.
The hotel was very helpful in allowing us to store our bags on our last day in Colombia when we returned to Cartagena even though we were no longer residents of the hotel.
Would return but insist on 1st floor room.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Arleth , Gerente at Bantu Hotel By Faranda Boutique, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2017

Dear Richard

Thank you very much for choosing us to spend such a special and unforgettable time! Thank you for your important comments about your Bantu hotel experience.

All our staff is committed to providing the best service to our guests and achieving a memorable experience.

We look forward to serving you again very soon!.

Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

The Bantu is an original hotel in the middle of Centro built around 3 gardened patios. The location was perfect for walking to all the tourist attractions. Room 208 was sooo wonderfully quiet and cozy. Most important it had excellent AC. We enjoyed feeding Pepe the Tucan with papaya out of our hands. The staff was wonderful and breakfast was quite hearty.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Arleth , Gerente at Bantu Hotel By Faranda Boutique, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Dear guest

First of all we want to thank you for telling us about your experience in our hotel and we are totally pleased that your stay has been pleasant.

Our staff will always be willing to give you the best attention so that your next visit to Cartagena is unforgettable.

Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

Just spent 4 days and 3 nights in Cartagena, and super happy that we picked Bantu to host us. The facilities are lovely: an old colonial house, very well decorated, and with the right size to allow you as much privacy as you want.

We had an issue with the travel agency that programmed this trip for us, and the hotel not only helped us solving such issues, but they were also flexible enough to host us one extra night. Also, they were always willing to help us with any request: booking restaurants, serving food anywhere in the hotel, etc. The beds were great too!

Highly recommended!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Arleth , Gerente at Bantu Hotel By Faranda Boutique, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2017

Dear Mrs. Martha

Thank you very much for your comment. It really is very satisfying to read that it is perceived that our rooms are equipped for your comfort with high quality products that are at the height of the hotel and the guests who choose us as their option in Cartagena.

Reviewed 29 July 2017

The Bantu Hotel is a lovely restoration of 2 colonial mansions, incorporated into one hotel and creating a beautiful lobby and living area, enclosed by thick (and cooling) heavy stone walls. The location could not be better, as it is inside the walled portion of old-town, and an easy walk to all kinds of shops and restaurants, tourist sites and even grocery stores - for our ever necessary cheap bottle of wine we always drink at night on our balcony. Granted, our balcony was tiny and overlooked a busy "local" street, but we enjoyed the ambience of the craziness below us and the street noise quickly died down around 8 - 9:00 pm. Our room however, was quite large, and. Even had a loft-like area where 2 more people could have slept, so it would have been perfect for a family of 3 or 4. Bathroom was small but efficient, and although there was a short delay for hot water in the shower, once it kicked in, it was fine. Breakfast was fine, although it was somewhat crowded due to a small tour group all eating and leaving at the same time.

Most charming assets of all were two-fold: the staff, and the toucans. The staff were great, some with multi-language skills, some not. But all went out of their way to assist in whatever way they could. All the 2 toucan pets - or ambassadors. One needed to stay in her very large birdcage, but Ta-to, the male, had a mischievous personality and free range of the entire hotel. One day, he was on my husband's arm at breakfast, another day, he was hiding in the breakfast room buffet cabinet. The funniest escapade we caught him at was on the roof-side pool and lounge area, where they also offer private massages in curtained areas. We walked by and heard someone say "get out, you pervert! This is a private space!" Apparently Ta-to, when he is bored, will hop or fly up to the roof area, and stick his geek under the curtains of the massage rooms and sneak in! Too funny. Who knew birds could have such personality?!!

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple