“the best place to stay in cartagena”

Bantu Hotel By Faranda Boutique
Ranked #13 of 153 Hotels in Cartagena
alemania
“the best place to stay in cartagena”
Reviewed 19 January 2010

actually is the best place to stay in cartagena is a boutique hotel complety with all the services you need for a trip is also romantic place exellent service location and with the best rooms I ever seem im sure ill come back soon!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Boston
Reviewed 2 January 2010

I recently stayed at Hotel Bantu in early December with my family. I just read another review of someone saying they were also robbed. Amazingly, our story was almost identical reinforcing my belief that this was not an isolated incident and a deliberate coordinated theft.

I left my family's money in the safe along with our passports. I had $450 stolen. I had $1500 in the safe so I guess I was lucky that they only stole $450 and left our passports. I believe that the staff thinks that most people won't count their money if they leave it in the safe as they assume that it will be secure so the thieves take some but not all of the money to fly under the radar.

We were quite upset and tried to get in touch with the manager through the staff. They laughed at us like we were crazy and did everything in their power to waste our time and not allow us to talk to the manager who was "away and did not have a cell phone". This was obviously ridiculous so we called the police who were helpful but ultimately unable to do anything.

While I was unable to get my family's money back, I hope that other travelers will not have the same problems. The hotel is full of thieves and if you do use the safe boxes, make sure you count your money every night!! I believe they especially like to target gringos.

The location of the hotel is very good but the rooms were lousy. The television did not work. There was no hot water. The service for the breakfast was a comedy of errors. If you are just going to microwave coffee, why does it take 30 minutes for it to arrive?? It was mind boggling. Bathrooms were filthy as well.

The pool was tiny and filled with trash (band aids, a beer bottle, etc.)

I loved my stay in Colombia apart from this incident. We also stayed at Hotel Dann in Boca Grande and had a much better experience. I hope this review does not deter anyone from visiting Colombia. One bad apple should not spoil the bunch!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
7 Thank Ryan_McDonough
Atherton, California
Reviewed 1 November 2009

The pool on the roof is a refreshing and beautiful spot, the drinks are delish and the contrast with the decaying surrounding buildings is really cool. The rooms are huge and beautiful and the staff are warm and welcoming. A great value for money.

Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends
uk
Reviewed 22 August 2009

Really great hotel in central cartagena old town. We found it by chance as one of the other hotels was full on the same square (their pool area was very very cramped).
Pool area on the roof was really spacious and had several private areas which made it idea.
Clean and conformtable rooms and very polite and helpful staff.
Great breakfasts and try and have one on the roof!
Try and avoid the rooms around the swing on the ground floor as you have less privacy with these rooms.
Definitely go to the Santa Clara hotel for trendy drinks and toucan spotting.
A great little stop off place to explore the old town, go to the rosario islands and the volcano ( ps you must do this as it is hilariousssssssssss!!)

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank starfish777
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 23 June 2009

I love tripadvisor.com so i choose this hotel following the reviews posted here. One person said she had problems with her reservation so i called twice and e-mailed the hotel to make sure everything was ok with ours. When we got there at midnight after a long day of traveling, we found out we got the wrong kind of room and we had to keep it if we wanted to sleep that night. For the second night we moved to another room which was perfect but the AC did not work. They fixed it and the rest was great! The rooms are clean, modern and also a typical construction of Cartagena. We walked everywhere, we found great restaurants around it and we had free wifi in our room.
I think it is perfect to spend somedays on vacations but you need to be very relaxed and have some patience with some details. Check the photos posted by the other reviewers because there is no trick on them!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Pascua26
Miami, FL
Reviewed 18 March 2009

I just came back from a trip to Cartagena last week for business and stayed at the Bantu for 5 days. First of all, I always stay at the Santa Clara but it was booked so through some research and asking, decided on the Bantu and I wasnt dissapointed.

Its a small hacienda type boutique hotel with 23 rooms, I stayed in one of the junior suites on the ground floor and the room was great. The standard rooms also looked nice/decent size but I am glad I had the Junior Suite. Nice big bed, personal attention, great breakfast included. I will say that this hotel is more geared to vacation/honeymoon/family trip than Business. Just a few comments for a business traveller, the wireless didnt always come through and the table in the room was a bit too small for business type needs, but it was perfect otherwise. The sink area could have been bigger for toiletries, I can imagine woman would have a hard time with this even moreso.

THe staff is simply amazing and really helped out on several occassions.
The pool upstairs is small but cozy enough for the amount of guests there and offers a great view of the city. The courtyards are very pretty and really give the hotel the old world charm and the location is great for walking and enjoying the Old City.
Cartagena is a fantastic city filled with great architecture and history and this hotel fits perfectly. When I come back to Cartagena, I will probably look for Santa Clara first if its for business but no doubt the Bantu if with family/wife/honeymoon type hotel is a great alternative Plus the price is impossible to beat compared to other boutique hotels or any really in the city.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank jfloMiami_FL
London
Reviewed 23 February 2009

We booked this hotel as one friend recommended it to us. We arrived at noon but the room was ready only until 8:00 pm. We had to wander around the city during the whole day. The hotel was full and they offered us the Presidential Suite just for the first night. Next morning they pushed us to the next room at 10 am, very small and with a faulty and noisy A/C. People in the reception are very friendly but little effective. Rooms are too small and the price is the nearly same for any boutique hotel in town. In addition the hotel is noisy and the premises were not properly restored as it should be. Location is not good even it s within the walled city the street is in a bad sorrounding, Next time I would stay in Pestagua, or LM but never again in Bantu.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple