“Fantastic Boutique hotel in Cartagena”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cartagena
Casa Boutique Veranera
Ranked #114 of 156 Hotels in Cartagena
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Cartagena is a great city but the old town can be very expensive to stay in. There are a lot of amazing boutique hotels but when we first looked we couldn't see any that were at all affordable. We ended up going to Casa Veranera on a recommendation and it was such a terrific hotel. It's small, only 4 or 5 rooms, but has a little pool on the roof and lots of areas to lie out and relax in. The Decor is super stylish and there's amazing attention to detail in all of the little touches. It's also in a great location and a nice quiet street. All the staff were unbelievably nice, and Maralyn who manages the hotel could not have worked harder to make our stay great. The afternoon we arrived, they had already made a dinner reservation for us for that night - not that we felt obligated to go, but it was a great recommendation and we were grateful for the thought. During the 4 days we were there the same 3 people were taking care of the hotel and they were all so helpful and terrific. All in all the atmosphere of the hotel goes out of its way to make you feel relaxed and enjoy your stay. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: When you book, check if the suite is available
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 April 2011

If you want an authentic Cartagena experience, you must stay in a Casa in the old city. Casa Veranera has the best of both worlds, an elegant classic house with a great air flow and an interior courtyard combined with all the modern amenities you would expect from a hotel. Also, it has some of the friendliest and most attentive staff we have encountered in our travels. The daily breakfast includes strong colombian coffee, tropical fruit, breads and eggs. The house has several open spaces, a pool, and a great view of the old city from the roof deck so you can start enjoying Cartagena as soon as you wake up.

They also know many local vendors were helped us arrange sightseeing and other details of the trip and we found the rates to be extremely reasonable.

Walking distance to tons of restaurants and nightlife and all historic sites in the old city.

Room Tip: Ask for layout details.
  • Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Jabra1
Reviewed 23 February 2011

My wife and I visited Cartagena as part of a trip along the Caribbean coast of Colombia. The hotel has a great location in the old town and everything is easily walkable. We stayed in the one suite at Veranera and it was fantastic. The room itself has been renovated to keep the charm of the old building while adding stylish modern touches and amenities. I especially liked the rainfall shower and the private outdoor balcony that is only accessible through stairs in the suite. In addition, just outside the door to the suite is a small pool with two deck chairs. It was great to cool off here with a dip and some cervezas after a hot day exploring the city. While the pool and deck chairs are available for all guests, this hotel has only five rooms, and only one other room was occupied during our stay, so it felt like we had the whole place to ourselves - very luxurious! The breakfasts were tasty and the staff were super friendly and helpful. The evening we arrived they had taken the initiative and made us a dinner reservation for that same night at a very popular restaurant. A very thoughtful touch.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CanuckVoyager
Reviewed 26 November 2010

The prime location in the Ciudad Vieja was perfect and the Calle de Quero is an especially charming street. My boyfriend and I traveled with another couple and we had the suite and the green room- both were fantastic. I'd especially recommend the suite for a special treat. The courtyard and lounge were beautiful and peaceful and there is a fantastic view from the rooftop terrace. The staff were warm and helpful- even finding a dentist for us when my boyfriend had a toothache. We hadn't been to Cartagena before and felt 100% safe in this hotel and location. Finally, I did quite a bit of research before booking and I feel that the Casa Boutique Veranera offers superior value for the price in Caratgena's old city. I can't recommend the Casa Boutique Veranera highly enough.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2010

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at this lovely bed and breakfast and have such high praises. First of all, the service was amazing. Marilyn, Katria and Katrina made Casa V. feel like it was our own personal home, were knowledgeable about the city and eager to organize everything we needed. Also, although we ate everywhere from Santissimo and La Perla, to local restaurants around the city and at the beaches, Katria's patacones were the best I had in Cartagena. The daily breakfast was lovely. The hotel is in a great location. San Diego is a very attractive neighborhood and the best restaurants are right around the corner from Casa V. The main attractions and the port are all only about 10 minutes away.

I do have a few complaints about Casa V. considering the price of the rooms. The hotel is simply and attractively decorated. It feels like a house in southern Spain. Unfortunately, the rooms are very small. Also, I stayed in the Pink room, which didnt have a safe, refridgerator or telephone. These are small things that should not be luxuries at this price point.

Overall, I had an amazing experience here and would love to return to Casa V. one day.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2010

My wife and I traveled to Cartegena Labor Day weekend to explore this wonderful old city that kept popping up in articles in some of my favorite magazines. It was our first time in South America, so we were both excited yet reserved about what to expect. I found Casa Verenera though internet searches, and after reviewing trip advisor with mostly positive reviews, I booked it. It was my wife's birthday so I wanted something cozy and romantic, right in the heart of Old city, and it was indeed just that.
We got a good deal ($235USD per night) compared to other hotels in the area and we got the suite with the private terrace. I had scheduled an airport pickup with the hotel ($30USD) and a nice gentleman, George greeted us at the gate. He spoke good English and showed us around a little on the way to the hotel. We scheduled with him a private tour for the following day at $60 for both of us . I would not recommend a private pick up from the airport since taxis are everywhere and the cost maybe $10USD. Upon arriving, we were greeted warmly by the staff, Marilyn- who is the head young lady in charge was WONDERFUL,and very professional! She spoke good English and had made us dinner reservations. She gave us a tour of the hotel, (very quaint and ecclectic. small, but very charming and nice). She bent over backwards to accomodate our needs- booking reservations to the Rosario Islands, resturants, directions etc.
The other staff were just as nice, Jose' greeted us with cold drinks when we arrived and prepared our breakfast every morning, and even walked us to the boat station about a mile away and stayed with us to make sure we were at the right place to go to the islands! The other lady was the housekeeper and equally as nice , but neither of the two spoke a lick of English and Marilyn goes home around 4:00 so make sure all ?'s are answered before she leaves.
The rooms were nice, we were greeted by a chilled bottle of wine and jazz on the ipod but, unfortunately my wife was not overjoyed. The shower and seperate toilet had clear glass walls only no curtains or anything. The furnishings were a bit old and worn, and yes that cigarette hole is in plain view on the couch. the bed was VERY firm and the air condition unit is only in the bedroom. (Very hot and humid) and staff would always cut it off during the day , so when you came back from a afternoon of touring you entered a stifling room. My wife's main displeasure was the lack of a door at the top of the stairs which led from our room directly to the outside terrace. Her concern was safety of course in that if someone wanted to they could walk on the roof, land on our terrace and enter our room while sleeping and have access to us or our possessions,they could have. She also didn't like that there was a raid plug in next to the bed. However , for me besides the glass walls on the toilet (I'm a very private person) I thought it was nice. I enjoyed walking up to the terrace at night looking over the city. It was very quiet and I felt safe.I didn't tell her but, one night as I was showering ( she was in the bed room) I did hear a noise on the terrace and on the stairs- luckily it was just a cat that came in to the room and then back out.( She would have freaked !) I stepped out to use the pool each night, it is small but nice to sit a refresh yourself, not for laps or working out.
The guy George came right on time the next day for our private tour .He took us all over, with a retired policeman as the driver . and explained the major sites and interest excellently and ended by taking us to the cities suppossedly only authentic emerald museum/jeweler. He was obviousely in cahoots with the young man who wonderfully showed us through the exibit and the jewery store. He quietly gave George the thumbs up sign as we were leaving acknowledging a purchase was made. I 'm sure George got a cut. Everyone has a hustle, but the tour was nice and the prices weren't bad. However, the next day George got very unhappy with us because he was suppossed to escort us to the boat for our island day trip. Maryln arranged for Jose to take us and another couple from the hotel. He was peeved because he came at 8am and his young american meal tickets had gone with someone else. Very strangely , after that numerose times everywhere we went in the old city George would be there. He would literally pop out of nowhere as if he were watching us. Coincidence, probably not.
Furthermore , we had a great time and with such a wonderful staff even my wife warmed up to Casa Verenera after our four day visit. I would definately recommend the hotel. I actually miss the people, even George.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2010

Coming from New Orleans, we know that staying in a bed and breakfast in the French Quarter is not as modern and as well appointed as a major hotel. That's not why you stay there. It's the same with Casa Boutique Veranera. This lovely home is hundreds of years old and dates to the time of pirates and Spanish galleons.

The beds are comfortable, the air conditoning got down to 65 degrees, safety is great, the staff is pampering and the location is within two blocks of the main square in the San Diego neighborhood and one block from a grocery store and two clothing stores.

Streets in the old city are extremely safe and there are taxis and horse drawn carriages available any time.

Wifi implies that wireless internet is available in the rooms. This is not the case and could be easily corrected. However, if you require the internet on a regular basis as I did, you may want to consider another hotel. I would expect the hotel to comment on this review to let potential customers know when the problem has been corrected.

All in all, this stay was a wonderfully relaxing experience.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple