“Amazing location and service”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cartagena
Casa Boutique Veranera
Ranked #109 of 151 Hotels in Cartagena
Miami
“Amazing location and service”
Reviewed 29 June 2011

I recently stayed there with my girlfriend for our anniversary. The place was very well located, clean and comfortable. The staff, Jose Luis and Katy went above and beyond to help us with everything, from eagerly volunteering to carry bags up stairs to making dozens of phone calls for restaurants, taxis, directions, tour agencies, etc. Similar boutique hotels are more expensive and I doubt are as well located or superbly staffed as Casa Veranera. I would 100% recommend this hotel to anyone going to Cartagena.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms on the upper level.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jimmyz12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 24 June 2011

This place is better than a home away from home! First, the staff are very friendly and accommodating especially Marilyn. I speak very little Spanish so it was great to have Marilyn that speaks some English. I have never felt so comfortable and relaxed at a hotel before and truly appreciated the serene environment. Everything is artistically and beautifully decorated. The style reminds me of the retail store "Anthropologie" with its bohemian, worldly, modern yet traditional style.

For the first three days, I had the hotel to myself which was really nice because I felt like it was my own retreat! Breakfast is simple but fantastic. You can chose between a typical Colombian breakfast or American style. I switched my meal up each day and never got bored with it. They offered to iron my clothes, wash my clothes (you provide the soap), call taxi's, and make reservations.

I stayed for 7 days and stayed in different rooms throughout the week. I stayed in the suite, pink, green, and blue rooms. All have different feels to them. My personal favorite is the suite and green room. Both are upstairs by the pool. You can open your doors onto the upstairs patio area and pool. The pink and green rooms are similar in layout, however I thought the green room felt a little calmer than the pink walls and was better decorated. The outdoor showers are great and wonderful touch to the pink and green room. The blue room is next to the kitchen so it is a little louder than upstairs. It's pretty small so it is best suited for an individual traveler who's not going to spend too much time in their room.

I had such a great experience there that I might just come back to Cartagena just for this hotel! In fact, my friends were staying in Bocagrande (i do not recommend!) and came to visit and decided to switch to my hotel. I ended up booking two rooms for my friends and they enjoyed the hotel as much as I did.

Room Tip: Recommend one of the upper level rooms
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank monelove25
Sydney
Reviewed 6 June 2011

We stayed 5 nights here and to be honest we were a little disappointed after reading the great reviews and the amazing photos. It may be because we were spoilt by a previous true 'boutique' hotel we stayed in Santa Marta (Le casa del Ferol).

The location is great and down a quieter corner of the city. It is a fair priced option in Cartagena where accommodation can be a little pricey.

Firstly the staff are amazing- Marilyn, Katrina and Jose go above and beyond to make your stay comfortable and more than make up for some of the hotels possible improvements. My opinion is that it feels more like a bed & breakfast rather than a boutique hotel- but with a few tweaks it can be perfect.

- The white towels are a little old, tired & grey.
- Wifi was out for 4 of the 5 nights
- No little creature comforts like shampoo, shower gel etc in the rooms- just a block of Dove soap. I believe its attention to little details like this that make a place a true 'boutique'.
- No umbrellas by the pool to shade from the scorching Cartagena heat.
- The breakfast options could be improved: options are either scrambled eggs or Typical (deep fried Empanadas). Perhaps Bacon, sausages, pancakes or fruit and yogurt?
- A ceiling fan installed in the common eating areas would be great rather than the electric floor fan.
- We stayed in the ground floor Yellow room first night and believe that this is probably the best room. We were offered the first floor rooms for pool access and privacy. As the hotel was not full we never had an issue with noise or privacy on the dining room ground level.
- When we moved up to the pink room 2nd night it was not nearly as nice- the photos look much nicer. The bedside tables are chairs with lights clipped onto the back- it lacked the charm & details of the Yellow room. The finish of the room is not as polished and there is less storage room- just an armoire.
- At 6am during a heavy storm we were awaken to a leaking roof above our bed- we were secretly happy to move back down to the yellow room.
- For the last night we were offered the Suite but opted to stay in the yellow because we were sick of packing. The 2 level suite looked lovely but because there is an open terrace with no door we were afraid of the mosquitos and passed.

There are many options in Cartagena that aren't easy to find online- my advice would be to explore these.

Again, the service and staff are amazing and small improvements could make this hotel a true 'boutique' like other options in the city.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
NYC
Reviewed 23 May 2011

This is a friendly, charming boutique hotel. We stayed in the suite with private balcony on the top floor and really loved the space - private, lots of light - it was the perfect place to stay for a romantic getaway. The breakfasts were great and we were pleased that they were offered even as late as 9:30/10am! The free internet access was also appreciated. The pool was small, perfect for a relaxing soak but too small to actually swim. There perhaps could have been a few more suggestions of what to do and where to eat but Caretgena is really the sort of place where you stumble upon the most interesting things anyway! I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ace8NYC
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 May 2011

There are treasures to be found behind the massive wooden doors of virtually every house within the charming walled city of Cartagena. Casa Boutique Veranera was no exception! This beautifully furnished and detailed hotel provided a comfortable and inviting home for our group (eight friends and family) vacationing for a few days after attending my daughter's wedding in Bogota. Although the individual rooms were a bit on the small side, they were clean and comfortable, and the hotel itself was spacious and airy providing many locations -- from the pool and deck, to the large downstairs library, to the rooftop terraces -- to relax and just chill. A hotel with only five guest rooms, we did occupy it in its entirety, which made the stay even more special. In addition to the comfort of the hotel, as well the great location, which was on a relatively quiet street within the heart Cartagena's interior, the courtesy and service of the friendly staff was amazing. After arriving late Monday afternoon, the hotel manager, Marilyn, told us that she took the liberty of making a reservation for us at a local restaurant, which she informed us we were not obligated to use. After doing a quick internet search of the restaurant, we decided to keep the reservation, and it proved to be a fabulous choice! Marilyn and the other hotel staff really went out of their way all week to try and make our stay extra special, and I must say, they succeeded! This hotel was a find...near perfect in every way. I hope to be back, and would especially recommend it to group travelers.

Room Tip: The 3 poolside rooms, 2nd floor, then 1st floor rm
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Born2Travel66
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 5 May 2011

We spent 3 days at the hotel with three other couples. The staff Marilyn, Katrina, Jose and Ronald were very accomodating making breakfast every morning, making reservations at fabulous restaurants, giving directions and much more. We felt very comfortable and at home there. We highly recommend you try it..

Room Tip: Stay in suite. It is wonderful
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 12 April 2011

Just perfect! Speccially for couples! Original Cartagena Design, charming rooms and the staff (only a few people) very very special persons. It's not very cheap., but it's a fair price. Try to save money and have a perfect stay in the perfect romantic city - to be more romantic, I suggest you to as the manager (Glenda) to prepare a surprise with roses on the room and a very cool champage wainting for you (but before you have to ask the price for the surprise, because depends on whic champagne you'll choose). I Recommend! I want to go back as soon as possible!

Room Tip: Suite Veranera - the bigger one
Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple