“We loved our stay at La Passion!!”

La Passion Hotel Lounge
Ranked #85 of 155 Hotels in Cartagena
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My husband and I were in Cartagena to celebrate his 50th birthday in January 2014- we stayed 6 nights at this artsy, old world hotel & had such a great time! Let me start by saying that if the hotel lacks a certain sleekness or modern aura that some people like, the staff makes up for all of that! The chef, Taylor, was amazing- he made my husband a special private rooftop dinner for his birthday that was so memorable. His drinks & breakfasts each morning were delightful! He even left us a momento from Cartagena as a gift in our suite along with the birthday fedora from the Hotel. Jose, is also a real attribute to this hotel. He serenaded us during our special dinner, and was so helpful & smiling during our entire stay. We were so sad to say goodbye to both of them when we left. The owner of the hotel and Anylis at the front desk were also very helpful in helping us hire a boat to Baru for my husbands birthday, which was so much fun, as well as pointing us in the right direction & giving restaurant recommendations. The second best part of this hotel is the rooftop deck, which we couldn't decide if we liked better during the day or night. It was a wonderful place to find respite from the heat during the day & breezy cool & romantic at night. All in all, it was very memorable & lovely! Would stay there again & hope to see Taylor, Jose & Anylis when we do! Thank you all! I apologize for taking so long to write this review.

Room Tip: We stayed in suite 8, which is on the second level, is very large & had a balcony where we enjoy...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bandbshow
There are newer reviews for La Passion Hotel Lounge

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I can't recommend this hotel highly enough. Located behind a big blue door in Cartagena's beautiful historic center, this hotel is a hidden gem. Once you step through the door you enter into a cool, leafy colonial courtyard that provides a welcome break from the heat of the streets. Each room is individually and tastefully designed. Thierry and his staff are incredibly helpful and welcoming. I spent a very happy week relaxing here, maxing out beside the rooftop pool - looking out to the catedral and watching swallows dive and scoop water our of the pool. La Passion provides guests an oasis in the heart of the city.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ben J
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I spent 4 days in this Hotel Boutique: beautiful and warm reception. Excelent position inside the historical centre of Cartagena, you can visit the colonial town and have tips from the staff. The terrace where is the swimming pool it's amazing, clean and well decorated. I definetely recommend this Hotel.

Room Tip: By my experience everything was good!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Davide B
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I think I must be living in a parallel universe. I feel slightly mean writing this review because the staff were very nice but this is perhaps the worst value hotel I have ever stayed in in South America. The odd fading gilt mirror does not make a hip hotel.

My experience here was grim. The staff were generally lovely but they were extremely overworked. On the Sunday there was only one member of staff on duty - she was doing the breakfasts, running reception, opening the door, answering the phone and cleaning all the rooms - not a word of English - does not really matter but it is worth being aware of. She was a very nice and very hard working woman but no one could cope easily with that amount of work.

Our "suite" was dark and mosquito infested. The only windows opened onto the rather grim and dark courtyard. There was an odd note in the hotel communication stating that any towels not accounted for at the end would be charged for. It was ambiguous as to whether the standard bathroom products also would be charged for. It did manage to set a tone of meanness. Needless to say the products were not worth making away with anyway!

There was absolutely no wifi access in the room so I was driven to the common area to go on line and that was even more mosquito infested. I was covered in bites by the time I left. The common area had large panes of glass lying around next to the sofas presumably to be put in place somewhere but it meant that the sofas were not really sittable on. I have stayed in two other hotels in Cartagena at this time with no mosquito problems whatsoever so this is a particular problem in this hotel and not in Cartagena hotels in general . There is extensive Dengue in Cartagena and this hotel worried me.

The roof terrace seemed fine - until I thought I would swim. When I saw the mosquitos in the water I realised that that may be one source of the problem.

At no stage did I see the "owners". Otherwise I would certainly have taken up some of these issues with them . This is an expensive hotel and the money does not seem to be reinvested. The Santa Calara was so much better value - somewhat more expensive but not madly so but incomparably better.

I was astonished to see that companies like Scott Dunn are using this place. I would never have stayed here if I had realised what it would be like.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Northlondontripper
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Yes the old building is charming, but I stayed here last week and arrived to find the place under construction. I've stayed in 3 other great hotels in Cartagena (large and small) and with all the choices in the city this hotel needs to be able to compete. If you make reservations here and have particular plans you would like to make while in Cartagena, email them in advance to see if they can help you or not.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Stay here for the rooftop pool and helpful staff. The rooftop is unique and you could not find a better view of Old Cartagena. The rooms are very charming and resemble the photos found online. Breakfast each morning was good. I will definitely come back.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Great location, the owner did the best job preserving the colonial style of the house, every room is unique, fantastic decoration. The pool is beautiful, on sunsets you'll feel amazed by the colors of the sky and the contrast with the old ceiling houses and cathedrals around.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends