“Cute spot, food good, not amazing”
Review of La Vitrola

La Vitrola
Ranked #82 of 708 Restaurants in Cartagena
Price range: US$5 - US$50
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
miami
“Cute spot, food good, not amazing”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We went to several restaurants in the city. The food was not our favorite but it was far from bad. There are many choices for fresh fish prepared many ways.
Staff was very helpful and acomodating in many ways.

• Visited June 2014

Malang, Indonesia
“not feeling it”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I went to this restaurant with a good friend based on a recommendation that I saw in the Moon travel guide for Colombia and Cartagena. We actually tried to enter the restaurant twice earlier in the week but were brusquely rejected by a security guard at the front door who said reservations were required. However, he made no attempt to allow us entry so we could make a reservation for another night. I should add that this is one of the most expensive restaurants with an outrageously priced wine list. (i.e Santa Rita-120)

Nevertheless, I asked at my Hotel (Santa Clara/Sofitel) to book a reservation for me and they did so at my request. The Santa Clara is one of the best hotels in the city.

When we arrived, the reception area could not at first find my reservation but after insisting we had a reservation we were escorted to a table. The service was initially fairly prompt. I ordered a steak filet to be cooked medium while my partner requested a fish dish. It took a while for the order to arrive but when it did, I notice after one bite that the steak was cooked ONLY blood rare. I had to wait a while for the waitress to come over who agreed that the steak was not promptly cooked. While I waited for the meal to return, I ordered another glass of house wine, which was quite expensive at $12 per glass. Finally, after 20 minutes, my steak was returned to me though by this time, I was eating alone as my partner had finished their meal.

The waitress and no one else there made any attempt to apologize, buy me a glass of wine while I waited for my steak, or gave any indication that they cared one bit about my wait.

When the check came, I attempted to pay by credit card only to find out (after waiting 15 minutes) that the machine was not working. I finally told them to call me at my hotel when the machine was working.

The next day they called and wanted me to come to the restaurant and pay via credit card rather than taking their machine to my hotel. I told them NO and noted that I had wasted enough of my vacation time at their restaurant. Finally, on the last day at my hotel, they begrudgingly sent someone who processed my credit card. This person barely looked at me and no apology was forthcoming for any of the inconvenience that occurred.

In short, my impression is this restaurant is resting on its laurels and appears to be quite snobbish in respect to their walk-in and non-regular customers. As I frequently travel to Cartagena, this in one restaurant I will not be visiting again.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Ajiijic
new york
“A Cartagena Classic”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Excellent Food, attentive service, historic old house, do not miss this place. Suggest sitting in the back room since the live music is quite loud. Great drinks, delicious food, very professional and courteous service. Highly recommend.

Visited July 2014
Sao Paulo, SP
“Good, but not the best!”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I liked it a lot! Specially the tuna carpaccio. The wine list is great and the service was above average in Colombia. But I prefered Club de Pesca restaurant!

Visited July 2014
New York City, New York
“Solid Restaurant - Confused by the Mixed Reviews”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Having read so much about this place in the press (NY Times, travel guides etc.), I was excited to try it but skeptical given the mixed reviews about the pretentious crowd, bad service, overpriced meals, etc. These couldn't have been further from reality. We had the octopus ceviche for appetizer which was average at best and split the jerk chicken and grouper garam masala for our meals. The garam masala was awesome! Go for the atmosphere, music and people watching but the food can stand on its own two feet as well.

• Visited July 2014