“Very clean and close to everything”

Hotel Plazuela San Ignacio
Hotel Plazuela San Ignacio
Ranked #68 of 105 Hotels in Medellin
Orlando, Florida
“Very clean and close to everything”
Reviewed 9 January 2011

The hotel is in a very centric location in the heart of Downtown Medellin.
The first good impresion I got was the cleanliness of the lobby and the reception area. The staff was young, not very experienced, but were extremely courtious and profesional.
I stayed at room #411.
Once I checked in and got the key to my room, I was escorted by one of the employees and showed us all the amenities they had, she (regretfully, I forgot her name) even showed us where was the restaurant on the 6th floor ( the elevator don't get there) so we could have our breakfast (included in the stay) in the morning.
My room was fery clean and comfortable. It had a LCD TV with cable and remote, a desk with chair in excellent condition. A good size closet with shelves. A queen size bed with two night tables and a mini stereo system with CD and USB player. There is no A/C in any of the rooms. The ceiling fan was only for ornamental purposes. I was offered a fan and got one in a timely manner. The room is not hot since the weather in Medellin is very cool year around. There is a stocked mini fridge and a basket of goodies and toiletries with a price list next to it. Still, you can get you own stuff and stock it there if you want to (there is a big "Exito" supermarket less than 50 meters from the hotel).
There is not much view through the window. You only get a view of the interior patio (mainly of the room in front of you). The only advantage is that you will get a good night's sleep since is quieter. If you ask for a room with a view, you will get the noise of the busy streets of downtown. You choose... view or peace.
The bathroom was comfortable, of a good size and modern fixtures. No bath, just a shower. The only problem we encountered was that the water leaked out of the shower to the bathroom floor and the hot water was not hot, but just lukewarm.
At breakfast, we went to the restaurant on the rooftop. It has a spectacular view and the waiter was very profesional and courtious. The food was good, not excellent, and very fulfilling. We got to choose how we wanted our eggs and came with an "arepa", a slice of bread, butter, juice and hot chocolate. You can ask for coffe if you let him know when he takes your order.
We decided to try the restaurant for dinner. Well, they did not have a choice in the menu. Apparently they only make one menu and you don't get a choice of A la Carte. They only had beef liver that night. My wife ordered the liver. I don't like liver. The chef went our of his way and made me a grilled breast chicken. The food was very good, although I would prefer a bigger portion (maybe I'm used to the super-sized meals back at home...LOL).
At checkout, the process was very smooth and fast. They do take all major credit cards and you get billed what it was quoted.
I would definnetly stay again on my next trip. Everything was so close and at a walking distance (supermarket, bars, night clubs, casinos, churches, the park, stores, restaurants, etc.)

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mannyrio

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 31 March 2009

This hotel is fairly new. All the rooms are clean and nice. They are fairly small but equipped with Cable, stereos and internet - although some rooms get better signal from the internet than others. Breakfast and dinner can be included in the price if desired. The hotel staff is very accomodating. We brought a delegation of 20 people for the IDB meeting in March. It was fairly close to the Plaza Mayor (5-10 cab) and close to stores. As it is downtown, their is a lot of action, but at night it's probably not as safe to walk around. You can stay in the nicer more touristy areas but will pay the price. If you have a meeting downtown or just want a central location, I would totally recommend this place. The food is limited (menu - they usually offer you only a few things for that day and breafast includes, fruit, granola, yogurt and some sort of Egg dish. You can request arepas and queso, coffee). They have a nice terrace restaurant area that they continue to work on.

OH - if you get a room on one side of the hotel to the street - it can be a little noisy (woke me up every day at 5-6am) but you can usually ask the hotel to move you if that is the case. I stayed in my room though since I was so close to the router.

It is an excellent deal for the money though. If you want a new, clean hotel, but are willing to sacrifice the suburban look on the outside (since it's a downtown neighborhood), I highly recommend it!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business