“OK Hotel in Terrible Neighborhood”
Review of 61Prado Guesthouse

61Prado Guesthouse
Ranked #6 of 111 Hotels in Medellin
Reviewed 13 September 2012

The hotel itself is not so bad, though no longer a good bargain, but the neighborhood was the deal breaker for me. After dark, not three blocks away on a main thoroughfare, you'll find scores of transvestite prostitutes and children sniffing glue from plastic bags. You cannot walk out of the hotel after dark. These are not the types of things I want to be confronted with on my vacation.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have no windows, giving them a penal atmosphere. Unfortunately, the rooms with wi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank backpack4me

Reviewed 11 September 2012

My family and I have stayed at 61Prado Guesthouse twice; five days in January 2011 and four days in December 2010. The house is lovely, clean, comfortable and close to downtown Medellin. We felt very comfortable with the area...which can be a little scary but if you go about your business no one bothers you. The rooms are large so it was perfect for the three of us. My husband, son and I love to walk everywhere so the location is perfect for us because it's close to everything. The metro station is nearby, which made it very convenient when we went to visit with relatives in Envigado. We love the staff and have had a wonderful time while we stayed there. We will definitely stay here again on our next visit to Medellin.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I am very pleased overall with my stay at Prado61. There were more lights than shadows on my opinion, so he are the facts:

GETTING THERE: is a real mess. Even though they give you a precise address, the hotel is actually a house converted to an hotel with no signs what so ever... Every time we took a cab, the driver got lost because nobody knows that there is a hotel there. The hotel is right in downtown Medellin, which I discovered when I arrived, is not actually a good thing, since right know the heart of the city is located in the suburbs (El Poblado). The neighborhood is really creepy, and you go out believing you are going to be assaulted in any moment, so if you go there, drop all your jewelry when you go outside. Thankfully taxis pass right by the frontdoor of the hotel the whole day, so you don't have to go far to pick up a cab.

MONEY EXCHANGE: Is really hard to change dollars for pesos in Medellin, and the hotel doesn't have ATM, and they are not any banks around. I had to walk 4 blocks to the nearest supermarket in order to find an ATM and withdraw money. I never found a place where I could actually exchange money, so if you don't do it in the airport (which I don't recommend, because you usually get ripped off with the rate) then bring your ATM card, and withdraw before getting to the city.

FACILITY: I have to say I was pretty amazed with the looks of the hotel when you actually get inside. You feel like you crossed the world, and are in a beautiful european boutique hotel. At night, the lobby is lighted by candles, is a beautiful enviroment. The room had flat screen TV with cable, and the shower had hot water all the time. On the downside, there's no air conditioning on any room, so be ready to feel some heat, even thought since at nite temperature drops, is not that awful. They do give you a standing fan.

DINING: They only serve breakfast, for an additional cost; and you get access to beers and beverages all day long. You need to go out to grab some lunch or dinner.

OTHER AMMENITIES: There's free Wi-Fi access in every corner of the hotel. Just ask for the password when registering in.

BOTTOM LINE: If you don't mind the neighborhood, and you are travelling on a budget, I believe Prado61 is an excellent place to spent the night, on a good ambient, but if you are looking for places where you can walk around, and have some leisure, you should probably look somewhere else.

Room Tip: Take under account the Junior Suite rooms have no difference from the accesories viewpoint from sing...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Rafael E
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Just spent 4 nights at 61 Prado and loved it! We had a huge room (as my friend said you don't get big rooms like this anymore). Beautifully redone building, a blend of old and new, artistic and very comfortable. From the rooftop (which right now is barren, but I expect one day will be a lovely patio) you can see across the city, beautiful views of the nearby Iglesia de Jesus Nazareno, as well as walk around the neighbourhood, the Zona Patrimonial, where the historical buildings (alot of Art Deco and Colonial) are now protected. The staff - Diana, Marc and the women who cooked breakfast - were super helpful with information and doing whatever they could to make us comfortable and make our time in Medellin easy.

We were on the top (3rd) floor which was very quiet, direct access to the rooftop, windows that opened - only problem was realizing that you had to turn on the water in the shower for several minutes before you got in so that the hot water could come up the pipes. The area was quiet, and supposedly risky at night, so you take taxis after dark, but during the day it was just another residential/business area near alot of medical facilities with people going about their day...and less than 5 minute walk to the Metro that can take you all over Medellin (including up the Metrocable) for only about $1. We took taxis to various restaurants at night in other neighbourhoods but they seldom cost more than the minimum taxi fare (about $2.60 or so).

Bueno, highly recommended as an economical place in a big city. Much more character than any modern hotel, unless you have the $$$ for sweet boutique hotels, which I don't. As they continue improving 61 Prado (they were working on the front entryway while we were there), perhaps the prices will go up. In the meantime, it was definitely a great value for your money, strong wifi, cable TV, a beautiful relaxing environment to return to at the end of the day, and a friendly place that I felt secure about - whether in the room or on the street. We felt like we had found a gem in Medellin.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor, if you don't mind climbing stairs, you get peace and fresh air and eas...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank KChornook
Reviewed 7 April 2012

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Don N
Reviewed 15 January 2012

This is a budget Hotel. The staff are nice and the owner treats people well. Although it is missing a few sales/advertising issues that would make it look more like a hotel it has a 50/50 hotel/guesthouse feel to it. For Medellin, the price is a good value. They are undergoing some renovations so it should get even better.

It is true that they may missed a day here and there of cleaning the room but I am sure had I request they clean the room when they missed it they would have complied. But they do make up for it the next day.

The area is Ok. It has a past reputation for safety but I was there for about 7 days and It went fine for me. I am a night crawler and come back late in the night and it seem fine to me. Earlier in the week the vendor business in the area slows down however, late in the week from Wednesday to about Saturday vendor business activity on the big street half a block down the hill can be present late into the night to about midnight or more. The presence of these vendors makes it a little safer to walk in the area at midnight.

I have walked around the area at 3 in the morning and it went fine. However, I would recommend getting a business card from the hotel and show it to the taxi driver so he can get you direct to the hotel at night. In the day time it is safe to walk around the area.

The owner speaks English very well but the staff does not.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Joe T
Reviewed 5 January 2012

The guy who bought the house and runs it is a nice guy, and the staff is nice, however I feel I have to add some realism to all these wonderful reviews.

Prado 61 is more like a house converted to a hotel. Infact, that's what it is, a converted house, so it's not setup the way a normal hotel would be.

issues:
- hot water, enough for a single family, not a near fully occupied hotel/guesthouse (cold if used during peak hours)
- thin walls, voices, sounds, carry (people coming and going at all hours of the night)
- random maid service cleaning sometimes just once a week, make sure door unlocked if you want your room cleaned on that one day
- poor lighting
- guests who come to visit will be waiting in the street for someone to open the outter gate before even being able to come to the front door.
- guests must "sign-in" including showing ID's
- in a very bad part of the city

Certainly your experience could be a bit different then mine, however this has been my experience.

For the good parts, it is bigger then a "hostel" and you meet interesting folks. Also, as I said the staff is very nice.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends