“Perfect hotel in poor neighborhood”
Review of 61Prado Guesthouse

61Prado Guesthouse
Ranked #6 of 110 Hotels in Medellin
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Perfect hotel with excellent rooms, good hot shower. Very good value for money. Amazing Administration, but hotel is located in a shady area especially at night. Views from rooftop chairs are amazing. Close to central Medellin, but many homeless people around.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ian W

Reviewed 23 December 2012

The best place I've stayed in colombia bar none!

Amazing large rooms and big beds in a beautiful old building. So comfortable, clean and stylish. Incredible 'restaurant quality' food. All the staff so friendly, professional and yet very chilled out - very welcoming from the moment you arrive. And all at amazing value too!

The location is brilliant in the day, a proper colombian experience rather than some of the more polished and touristy parts of the city. Is close to a lot of the sights. At night it is close to red light district but far enough away! It is easy and cheap to get a taxi, and very close to metro.

Well done prado61, they are really setting the standards.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank matthew_kellie
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Fantastic Value rooms $50US for huge king size beds. Lovely staff who were very attentive.

Breakfast was pretty average so would recommend you go to some of the local restaurants.

Hotel is a converted house so noise can be an issue. And the shower is lukewarm if many people are getting up at once.

Would have scored this an excellent if for the fact that the staff did not tell me they did not accept Credit Cards, They waited until the night I checked out to tell me. What? This is a hotel.

So I had to go and get cash from an ATM in the pouring tropical rain late at night. Not keen on walking around with hundreds of dollars in my pocket in central Medellin. Very irresponsible of the staff, I was absolutely livid (but politely said nothing). Also hard to find ATMs that accept certain cards.

Not hard to pre-warn people of the payment options, so that payment and cash can be secured in a safe location. So that issue brings the score down.

Other than that well worth the stay if you are on a budget and you like a bit of grit (suburb wise).

Unlike some of the earlier reviews there are not hookers everywhere. Just beggers.

Also close to the Prado Station but wasn't much point because you have to cue for your tickets, so I just got taxis.

Room Tip: Ask for the King Rooms. Street side is noisy but I sleep through everything.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Lord_Espos_69
Reviewed 13 September 2012

The hotel itself is not so bad, though no longer a good bargain, but the neighborhood was the deal breaker for me. After dark, not three blocks away on a main thoroughfare, you'll find scores of transvestite prostitutes and children sniffing glue from plastic bags. You cannot walk out of the hotel after dark. These are not the types of things I want to be confronted with on my vacation.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have no windows, giving them a penal atmosphere. Unfortunately, the rooms with wi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank backpack4me
Reviewed 11 September 2012

My family and I have stayed at 61Prado Guesthouse twice; five days in January 2011 and four days in December 2010. The house is lovely, clean, comfortable and close to downtown Medellin. We felt very comfortable with the area...which can be a little scary but if you go about your business no one bothers you. The rooms are large so it was perfect for the three of us. My husband, son and I love to walk everywhere so the location is perfect for us because it's close to everything. The metro station is nearby, which made it very convenient when we went to visit with relatives in Envigado. We love the staff and have had a wonderful time while we stayed there. We will definitely stay here again on our next visit to Medellin.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I am very pleased overall with my stay at Prado61. There were more lights than shadows on my opinion, so he are the facts:

GETTING THERE: is a real mess. Even though they give you a precise address, the hotel is actually a house converted to an hotel with no signs what so ever... Every time we took a cab, the driver got lost because nobody knows that there is a hotel there. The hotel is right in downtown Medellin, which I discovered when I arrived, is not actually a good thing, since right know the heart of the city is located in the suburbs (El Poblado). The neighborhood is really creepy, and you go out believing you are going to be assaulted in any moment, so if you go there, drop all your jewelry when you go outside. Thankfully taxis pass right by the frontdoor of the hotel the whole day, so you don't have to go far to pick up a cab.

MONEY EXCHANGE: Is really hard to change dollars for pesos in Medellin, and the hotel doesn't have ATM, and they are not any banks around. I had to walk 4 blocks to the nearest supermarket in order to find an ATM and withdraw money. I never found a place where I could actually exchange money, so if you don't do it in the airport (which I don't recommend, because you usually get ripped off with the rate) then bring your ATM card, and withdraw before getting to the city.

FACILITY: I have to say I was pretty amazed with the looks of the hotel when you actually get inside. You feel like you crossed the world, and are in a beautiful european boutique hotel. At night, the lobby is lighted by candles, is a beautiful enviroment. The room had flat screen TV with cable, and the shower had hot water all the time. On the downside, there's no air conditioning on any room, so be ready to feel some heat, even thought since at nite temperature drops, is not that awful. They do give you a standing fan.

DINING: They only serve breakfast, for an additional cost; and you get access to beers and beverages all day long. You need to go out to grab some lunch or dinner.

OTHER AMMENITIES: There's free Wi-Fi access in every corner of the hotel. Just ask for the password when registering in.

BOTTOM LINE: If you don't mind the neighborhood, and you are travelling on a budget, I believe Prado61 is an excellent place to spent the night, on a good ambient, but if you are looking for places where you can walk around, and have some leisure, you should probably look somewhere else.

Room Tip: Take under account the Junior Suite rooms have no difference from the accesories viewpoint from sing...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Rafael E
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Just spent 4 nights at 61 Prado and loved it! We had a huge room (as my friend said you don't get big rooms like this anymore). Beautifully redone building, a blend of old and new, artistic and very comfortable. From the rooftop (which right now is barren, but I expect one day will be a lovely patio) you can see across the city, beautiful views of the nearby Iglesia de Jesus Nazareno, as well as walk around the neighbourhood, the Zona Patrimonial, where the historical buildings (alot of Art Deco and Colonial) are now protected. The staff - Diana, Marc and the women who cooked breakfast - were super helpful with information and doing whatever they could to make us comfortable and make our time in Medellin easy.

We were on the top (3rd) floor which was very quiet, direct access to the rooftop, windows that opened - only problem was realizing that you had to turn on the water in the shower for several minutes before you got in so that the hot water could come up the pipes. The area was quiet, and supposedly risky at night, so you take taxis after dark, but during the day it was just another residential/business area near alot of medical facilities with people going about their day...and less than 5 minute walk to the Metro that can take you all over Medellin (including up the Metrocable) for only about $1. We took taxis to various restaurants at night in other neighbourhoods but they seldom cost more than the minimum taxi fare (about $2.60 or so).

Bueno, highly recommended as an economical place in a big city. Much more character than any modern hotel, unless you have the $$$ for sweet boutique hotels, which I don't. As they continue improving 61 Prado (they were working on the front entryway while we were there), perhaps the prices will go up. In the meantime, it was definitely a great value for your money, strong wifi, cable TV, a beautiful relaxing environment to return to at the end of the day, and a friendly place that I felt secure about - whether in the room or on the street. We felt like we had found a gem in Medellin.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor, if you don't mind climbing stairs, you get peace and fresh air and eas...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends