“One of the best deals in South America”
Review of 61Prado Guesthouse

61Prado Guesthouse
Ranked #6 of 112 Hotels in Medellin
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I'm a critical traveler. This was also my first time to Colombia. 61 Prado made the trip for me -- $40US, help-yourself beer (for $1!), and great people made it a place I looked forward to come back to after a day of trekking. The room was great, huge, and safe. The rooftop provided great views for drinks and hanging out. I could go on -- but really have no complaints.

Not only do I recommend Medellin and Colombia as a destination, but get out of the Medellin suburbs and tacky high-rise hotels. Check out 61 Prado and experience Colombia as it should be.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank tonyandersen

Reviewed 25 September 2013

In Poblado is the party scene. It has many restaurants and bars. The metro is far away. It is noisy and expensive. But the "night-life" takes place in Poblado.

Prado:
Daytime: The center is in walking distance to parks, churches, museums, shopping, etc.
At night: Bad neighborhood, deserted, only a few restaurants, many alcoholics and drug consumers.

Guesthous 61Prado: 2 blocks from the Metro, good kitchen (small selection). Luc, the owner is Dutch, he and his staff are very friendly and helpful. Beautiful and large rooms, hot showers, clean, wifi in the room.

Here I get the same or better price for a much nicer room with private bathroom.
Conclusion: In the evening, take the metro to Poblado, a taxi back. (10,000 pesos).

I was several times in 61Prado, total of more than three weeks. I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: I prefer rooms with windows to the outside, not all have it.I prefer rooms with windows to the outsi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Hans-Ueli F
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I'm torn about this place. The hotel itself is great for the cost: the common area is nice, clean and cozy. The rooms are basic but clean (no bathroom amenities but a tiny soap) and the staff is very friendly and nice (liked the breakfast and their honor-system bar) however:
the blocks surrounding the property are residential but after that, they are a little bit frightening. The hotel is 4 blocks from the metro so it's convenient, and maybe 8-9 from the Plaza Botero and the Antioquia Museum; unfortunately, there's a lot of people doing drugs in the streets, sleeping in the sidewalks, beggers and sketchy characters.
I was there alone (female solo traveler) and I felt uneasy walking to the metro and surroundings and not to mention is almost unthinkable to walk around at night.
As much as I liked the property, Poblado is a better option for solo travelers even if it's not as close to the major sights in Medellin

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank KarlaN
Reviewed 9 July 2013

This is about the third time I stayed at this hotel. For Medellin, it is a better one for its price class. The Staff are generally excellent. They missed a laundry here and there and I had to lift the toilet tank cover to flush the toilet but they are so nice I feel bad even mentioning this. Even If I mentioned this to them they will be more than happy to response, probably even give me a new room if I ask for it. I find these problems are so minor I won't even bring it up. I mention it here to be realistic to people who read my reviews.

the security is the same as my last review of this hotel. They do a good job of securing the premises. they have good dead bolt locks at the entrance. the hotel access are for hotel guests only.
The area is generally safe in the day time. At night there may be some homeless people wandering about but there are also some street vendors that may provide some security. Try to head straight to the hotel when you got out at night. Avoid aimless wandering in the area at night. if you happen to wander at night, I think you will be alright, just be cautious and watch your back.

They gave me a large room when it is not taken. The room I am in now can probably fit a whole family. The closet is big enough for a kid bedroom. it is well cleaned.

Easy access to the metro train line. about 5 minutes walk.

Happy Travelling!

Joe T

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Joe T
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Most of the reviews are positive which is my impression too given the reasonable price. However this isn't the best place to find food. Other than at the hotel. The owner never showed up even when 2 people needed to pay in the am. The poor cook/housekeeper had to deal with the exchange. They don't take credit card. Only Paypal or cash in US or ¥ or pesos. The rooms are huge. We had 2 bedrooms and an enormous bathroom but it smelled of sulphur or some unpleasant odor. The cupboard was musty the sheet had a hole in it, the bathtub wasn't cleaned well from the last occupant and I found a centipede in the bedroom. Nevertheless they are very trusting people. There is a fridge where you help yourself to beverages and note it on your bill. But dealing with the payment is awkward if person responsible isn't around. Ophelia helped us to call the airport taxi for the next day (it's $25)and used her own cell to call Cali for our reservation. So it's pluses and minuses here. Food is fine.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank susanaquerida
Reviewed 25 June 2013

This place feels like a posh hotel but is actually fairly cheap for Medellin. And you get access to an excellent kitchen. Great choice in the city center. The also serve nice meals which is great as there is not too much in the immediate vicinity in the way of restaurants.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We stayed here twice on our tip through Colombia and really liked the hotel. The area in which it is located doesn't offer much to the average traveller, but it is a short walk to the city centre, with an amazing outdoor sculpture park and nearby museums. The hotel is handily located for using the metro system - which is efficient.

We had two different rooms - can't remember the numbers now - but both were large and comfortable. On the first occasion we were able to access our room well before check-in, which we really appreciated after a sleepless 10 hour night bus journey. The second room we had, on the first floor, probably could have done with a bit of an update but it was clean and had fans and TV.

The food served at the hotel is excellent and well priced, which is lucky since there aren't many good eating options locally. We did have a bit of a weird time at one dinner. We ordered it for 7.30 and just before 7.30 there was a knock on our door and one of the staff told us our food was getting cold. A bit odd, so we trundled downstairs to discover our food sat on the table awaiting us. It wasn't cold and it was very tasty, but it wasn't great customer service in a hotel where the customer service is generally very good.

All-in-all a very nice and friendly place to stay in the centre of Medellin.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple