“Best Free Breakfast”

and 1 more site!
Yellow House Hostel
Reviewed 5 November 2013

This is a quiet little hostel in a good neighborhood close to shopping, restaurants, bars and 2 blocks from a metro station that can take you most everywhere you want to go in the city. There is a 6 bed dorm and 5 privet rooms. A good kitchen with all the necessities and a microwave, very nice bed sheets, laundry, hot water showers, a large TV but the cable seems to have had issues during my stay. The free Wi Fi was great. They served the best free breakfast I have ever had at a hostel with eggs, toast, fresh fruit, juice and coffee. I stayed for 4 nights it was a very nice change from the regular noisy hostels I have been in before. They speak French, Spanish and English.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights in Medellin and fortunately met a nice crowd at this hostel. Its a bit out of town but quiet and near to a free outdoor swimming pool (passport,speedos and hat required). On the morning after our arrival the owner was not particularly welcoming and aside from giving us a map did little else to advise us about where to visit or what to do whilst in Medellin. In fact when asked he was very negative about the city. On one morning we were woken early by him literally screaming at his dogs and when we got up were greated with a clearly agitated owner. Breakfast was provided but nothing special as in previous reviews, and service was certainly not with a smile. When we wanted to leave the hostel we would have to look for him to let us out as the main gate is padlocked. This always seemed like we were inconveniencing him, particularly when arriving home later in the evenings (when there is no stated curfew). One couple staying were locked in for 45 minutes whilst he went out without informing them of this. Unsafe and inconvenient. The communal area was nice but rooms were basic and not cleaned daily. I wouldn't recommend this hostel in future...

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank laumass
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

I recommend calling to confirm the availability of space for the duration of your trip. I enjoyed my stay but had to leave earlier than anticipated because of a reservation recieved after my arrival. Vincent was very nice, while Jero was a handful at times. Breakfast was good and included in the price. Fresh fruit and juices changed while eggs and toast were constant. I wish he had a better way of letting guests in and out, so his presence wouldn't be necessary to come and go. Even with a large group that came later, Vincent kept the place as clean as possible.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank helmsianm
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

we stayed 3 nights in a private room with shared bathroom.

+ very clean (you see the host cleaning almost the whole day)
+ close to metro (3' walk) in a safe area
+ great breakfast
+ very good value for money
+ helpful host with "its own charm" (ie helps you with everything, but if you do not approach him he "ignores" you)
+ free wifi

what could be improved:
- the roof in our room was not tight and should be repaired
- remove the water (even if it is no much) on the floor after heavy rain
- do not hang the washed laundry in a attachement to the kitchen (our laundry smelled worse than before)

our conclusion: recommended, we would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 10 August 2013

This is the hostel that every hostel should measure up to! I had an internship in Medellin and was initially planning to stay in Yellow House for a week, then extended my stay up to a month but... loved it so much that I have ended up staying for 2 months! Vincent (the owner) is the best because he really cares. He really wants everyone to have a good time there and is happy to accommodate for everyone's needs if you are just willing communicate to him that you don't like something (although it is difficult for me to imagine that there's something you wouldn't like;)). The dogs are absolutely adorable! I have even seen people who were really scared of dogs ending up liking them, so not staying there because of the dogs is no excuse!! The breakfast is the best ever (Vincent is French so obviously his food standards are really high!). The hostel is always clean and quiet and has great atmosphere. There is a garden outside where you can enjoy cheap Colombian beer and the amazing Medellin weather. There is also a nice communal area inside the house. The area where the hostel is located is also really good- a nice change from overrated el Poblado, with much more affordable prices.There is loads of places around to eat out .And I have NEVER felt unsafe there, even at night! Another bonus is that it is really close to metro (1 min away) and the metro in Medellin can take you anywhere. I cannot recommend this hostel enough! I absolutely loved it! Thanks for everything Vince!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Daria M
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Stayed here in February of 2013 when I came back to visit Colombia. Was a good place for the price in a nice secure area of Medellin. Vincent was great, any problems we had he made it right. He was so cool that after touring other parts of Colombia he allowed me to come back and take a shower before I left to go back to the US. He also served breakfast in the morning and there is hot water. Some people may not mind his dogs but they didn't bother us.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We stayed at yellow house for a total of 4 nights and it is by far the best place we have stayed during our 5 month trip. Vincent is the funniest and friendliest host you will ever meet and his 2 dogs Matieu and Tomas are amazing.
When we decided to visit nearby guatape for a night vincent let us keep our bags at the hostel while we were gone and even when we returned and vincent was at full capacity and had no free beds, he still found us 3 matresses to sleep on in the front room. Breakfast is great and the place is spotless. Such a shame we had to move on but if we ever return to medellin we wouldnt even think of staying anywhere else. A real home from home. Thanks Vincent

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends