“One of the best meals I had in Colombia.... and I go often”
Review of Carmen

Carmen
Ranked #12 of 1,339 Restaurants in Medellin
Price range: US$25 - US$50
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Bar Scene
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The restaurant is beautiful and the food incredible. The staff is professional and well informed. We got to the restaurant at an early evening with enough time to get a table immediately without reservation. We were lucky because it is a very popular place. Reservations are advised.
We took our wine and paid a cork fee but the restaurant has an incredible wine list. We got a two-table at the window. It was perfect. Everything about this experience was to die for.
I cannot wait to visit this restaurant again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,297)

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Went to Carmen last night after having read great reviews and taking a look at their menu; my wife and i were very satisfied. The restaurant has a simple, but elegant ambiance separated into three areas (upstairs bar, downstairs restaurant, and a terrace area). The menu is a combination of contemporary american with different korean or asian (vietnamese, japanese) ideas. For starters we had a vietnamese ox tail sandwich which had very tender and juicy meat. We also had an octopus dish with a black polenta that was very flavorful, something which is difficult to achieve using polenta; the octopus was well cooked and not rubbery. For mains my wife had the ostrich plate, which had very tender meat and was accompanied by a barley risotto and carmelized raisins which blended together perfectly as well as making for a really unique dish. In my case i had the pork two ways, which was both soft and with a crunchy crackling. The dish came with a sweet potato mash and a tamarind sugarcane syrup. For dessert we had the three chocolates option and the maui dessert, which is an almond cake covered in dark chocolate with rum caramelized pineapple chunks on the side and honey lavender ice cream; both desserts were well presented and delicious. The service was attentive and the portions were ample. All the dishes were well presented, all of which adds to the experience. As for the wine list, it is focused on red wines, with a smaller selection of whites and roses. The whites and roses might not be premium, but some of them are still very good, particularly considering the price. The addition of valle do douro portuguese wines is a welcome treat. There is a good selection of cocktails, spirits and digestives. Price wise, the price quality ratio is excellent, and definitely better than what you would find in Bogota, where prices for fine food tend to be steeper.

Overall, one of the best meals we have had in a long time. We would highly recommend Carmen to anyone visiting Medellin. Do book in advance.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I arrived at Carmen for dinner tonight 8-16-2014, let me just say I never write reviews but I have to for this one. I have dined at the best restaurants in the world and was recommended to come here for a similar experience. So here is my story.
Food: very creative and delicious. I had the carpaccio and the Argentinian steak ( entrania) both were great with two glasses of Malbec.
Service: I opened the menu and was greeted with a very long hair. (Major disappointment) giving the restaurant the benefit of the doubt we decided to stay. After eating my carpaccio as an appetizer the waiter came to clean my plate and knocked over the glass of water spilling it all over me. ( his response "wow") I was not apologized to and I even waited ten minutes to see if he would change the soaked table cloth. ( of course I had to ask him to) I was not impressed with the service and was not even offered a Deseret on the house. In America and I know we are in Colombia I either would have walked out if the restaurant or they would have comped the dinner.

All in all if you are ok with horrible service for exchange if good food then this place will satisfy you. However if you want what you pay for, this is the last place you want to visit.

2  Thank Yaronja
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We chose to eat early so were among the first guests. A little more hit and miss than La Provincia with clearly weaker desserts. Good service and excellent main dishes with possibly a little fussy presentation detracting from the basic food. Louder than we preferred but it is Colombia and the crowd had not yet arrived. Cute restroom decor!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We visited this restaurant during a brief visit to Medellin after reading rave reviews here on Tripadvisor. The reviews were spot on, the food was incredible - great flavours, generous portions and all served by professional, friendly staff. If you want fine dining at a very affordable price then definitely give this place a go.