“Decent rooms, pleasant stay”

Diez Hotel Categoria Colombia
Ranked #15 of 111 Hotels in Medellin
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Diez Hotel is located in a reasonable area, with some nearby restaurants, within easy and safe walking distance. The rooms are a good size and comfortable. The bell boys are particularly helpful, though some of the desk receptionists were a little distant, which made our welcome and check out a little impersonal. Breakfast is good, with attentive service.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

If you are a business traveler you do not want to stay here one once simple reason.....they have a ridiculous WiFi system that logs you off and forces you to log in again every time you re-enter the zone. Forget automatic. It drives you crazy because if you lose the signal for a second (like when you are in the elevator) you have to go through the enter process again. Impossible to do business with such arcane security access.

The hotel is aso like a cheap Days Inn and certainly not worth more than $60 in Colombia. There are far better hotels for the money in the area.

That said, the location is good.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This is a great hotel deserving of its 5-star status although there are more luxurious hotels in Medellin. The rooms are fairly large and comfortable and the bathrooms are of a good size. We stayed there as part of a group of 7 people and really enjoyed it. Some of the rooms have a hammock in them. The food, especially at breakfast, was very varied and catered to all tastes. Try the fresh Guanabana which is an exotic local fruit found in many parts of Latin America.

Any downside? Yes - we could not get the hot/cold water mixer tap to give us water at the right temperature.

Room Tip: Try to book a room in the corner of he hotel facing the City with a hammock.
Reviewed 4 February 2014

This was my first stay in Colombia. Being semi-proficient in Spanish, I seemed to get by pretty well. I was welcomed with smile as well as made a solid conncection with the chauffers.

Pros: Location (el problado), 5 restaurants/lounges (great variety), security, staff that really looks out for you, the view, the sophisticated ambience.

Cons: the bed was terribly uncomfortable, front desk tried to charge me a fee to bring my friend up to the restaurant? and also, being in Colombia, the prices were a little too high ($12 for a meal at each restaurant/cafe) although breakfast was superb.

Overall, this hotel has its strengths and weaknesses. Depending on the type of traveler you are, you will enjoy your stay here one way or another. For someone venturing the night scene, you are 2 blocks from Parque Lleras, Medellin's version of Bourbon Street. I fit into that category so calm me bias as you may!

Room Tip: Top Floor City View, simply put in the special request when reserving!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank RookGold
Reviewed 27 January 2014

This was my first time at the Diez Hotel,I must say the hotel is very nice and clean, great service at the front desk , restaurants and through out the whole hotel.Fast check-in. Several staff members spoke English and were most helpful, especially Steven at the front desk. Great location, room was very comfortable, shower had the best water pressure of any hotel I have ever stayed in and lots of hot water. a cab ride for the airport is about 60,000-65,000 COP ($30-33.00 USD) each way.The front desk can arrange transportation for you to the airport. The room rate included a buffet breakfast and it was excellent, something for everyone.There is no currency exchange at the hotel so make sure you change a little money at the airport for the cab ride, there is a huge and beautiful mall near the hotel which is about a 6,000 COP ride and there is a currency exchange there which gives a better rate than the airport.The hotel offers Insurance at the rate of about $7.00 USD per night per person, this is to cover you if you need a doctor and is optional.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank CaptMidnight422
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I don't usually write reviews but felt compelled because of my experience at this hotel. One of the maids or someone else that had access to my room stole an expensive Louis Vuitton iPad case from my room. I figured I could leave my iPad out for the afternoon to charge but was wrong. Thank god I had everything else locked in the safe. The manager had the audacity to at first tell me that this was not possible because the maids said that I had a 'do not disturb' sign on my door, and therefore were not in my room. When I informed her that this was only the case in the morning and my room was in fact cleaned in the afternoon, she spoke further to the maids and then retracted her statement and saying even further that now one of the maids remembers seeing it in my room the day before. End result...they acknowledged the theft and no compensation.
Other notes...the other reviewers are correct when they say terrible wifi and no hard wire in the room, beds too short for someone 6'...and too loud to sleep on a Friday or Saturday due to the disco on the ground floor going until 4am.

6  Thank M_R_802
JairoSDiez, Director Comercial at Diez Hotel Categoria Colombia, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Good Day

We would like to inform you that Diez Hotel Categoría Colombia duly conducted the

established internal procedures due to the loss of your personal property. We have tried

unsuccessfully, on several occasions, to obtain your personal information in order to

contact you and inform about the results of our follow-up.

Likewise, we tried to contact your friend Mr. Gustavo Estrada on several occasions via

email and telephone, but unfortunately, our efforts were unsuccessful as well.

Please note that your tablet case was found in the Spa area on a ledge.

We ask for your kind assistance by contacting us in order to provide you with your

personal item, according to the information you provide us.

We look forward to your comments.

Sincerely yours,

Jenny Arcila
Sales Manager

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Stayed at the hotel via cc points and was pleasantly surprised. To summarize - great value for money which is what we were looking for in Medellin given more bloated budget in bogota and Cartagena.

Positives - location (close to zona rosa, parque lleras, therefore lots of cool bars/restaurants), great views (we asked for valley facing room) friendly staff, quite, interesting hotel motif. Interestingly, we got stomach flu and hotel staff was very helpful in getting us medicine from pharmacy.

Negatives - crap room service and breakfast food, wifi was a bit intermittent, no iron in room. Some of these are small nits but want this to be accurate.

In short - great stay and would do again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple