“The best hostel in Medellin”

The Wandering Paisa
Ranked #19 of 235 Speciality Lodging in Medellin
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The Wandering Paisa played a key role in making my stay in Medellin the great experience that it was. The staff was very friendly and always ready to help me with any questions that i had. They always were in a good mood and excited to teach visitors about their city! The hostel in itself was very clean and had very comfortable beds and hot water in the showers! I always felt very safe at the hostel and I loved the location. We were only a block away from one of the best local streets to hang out at in medellin and close to the metro which connects to the rest of the city! The wandering paisa offers the perfect atmosphere to meet fellow travelers, celebrate and relax!

Room Tip: todas las habitaciones son buenas!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for The Wandering Paisa

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Definitely the place to go when you want to experience Medellin at it's best! Comfy beds, awesome bar, and close to everything including the Metro. We had a great time here and all the staff were super helpful. Thanks TWP!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed here for one night but wish we could have stayed here longer. This place really has some great staff- they made my stay very enjoyable! At night it gets pretty loud depending on what activity is going on, but i think the rooms are ideally situated so that the noise doesn't disturb you as you try to sleep. I also had the chance to meet one of the owners, and he was very friendly and helpful!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed a few days in the paisa hostel and i really enjoyed it. Amazing place with very friendly staff and owner. Its a good place to get to know the real side of Medellin. The price is good and has a great atmosphere. This hostel has great events like language exchange and free salsa classes and the karaoke night is a must do!! Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Argentina has private shower and window to the balcony. Very comfortable bunk beds!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Having stayed in 2 other places in Medellin before, The Wandering Paisa has been my best experience. The price is good, the staff is helpful and bilingual, the facilities and beds are good, and it has a great atmosphere. I love the events that they host there (I got to experience open mic and karaoke) and it's a great way to meet people. I really like the bar area, the back patio, and the 2nd floor patio. It is located close to the stadium (we took in a National game!), close to the metro, and close to stores and bars on the 70- great location for everything you need! I would definitely recommend that you stay here!

Room Tip: One of the 4 bedroom dorms has AC.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Not the best hostel I've ever stayed in. The location is alright, with the Setenta and several supermarkets around. You can go to downtown with the metro, which I haven't done, but I don't think it's too hard.

I booked a single room and payed 20€ a night (about 55000 CP). The room was completely overpriced. It is directly opposite the kitchen and next to the TV area and the entrance area/bar and the yard, so naturally it's way too loud. I stayed during the week, but I imagine it's worse during weekends. There are no windows, except for a small one facing the yard so everyone can look inside if you don't close the curtains. I did not feel comfortable in this room at all.

The staff is mostly nice and helpful, but I would have appreciated if they could at least have pretended they weren't too distracted by their facebook page to notice me right away. The TV is good and they have a wii. The kitchen is okay for a hostel kitchen. It's certainly not impossible to meet people, but I found it harder than in other hostels because there was no one at the bar (again, I was there during the week so I imagine this changes on the weekends). There was a free salsa class on Tuesday, which was nice, but there wasn't really enough space in the small yard with all the people to follow the steps. There's a book exchange, but the receptionist has to unlock it and you can only exchange books for books of the same language (which is a stupid rule in my opinion). Wifi works fine in the reception area, but didn't really work in my room, which was close to the reception so it probably doesn't work in the other rooms either. The internet on the computers at the reception didn't work when I was there and you also have to pay a little if you want to use them.

Maybe 2 out of 5 is a bit harsh, but I was really disappointed by my room.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank summerexplorer
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for about a week and had such a great time! It's in Laureles which is a more local experience then Poblado. There is a long strip of bars and restaurants just two blocks away, perfect for practicing the salsa you learned during the free salsa class offered by the hostel! The staff are super helpful and always offering great tips for what to see and do around the city and always have a smile on their face!

The hostel has great atmosphere and a really good place to meet other backpackers and locals alike as they have lots of events throughout the week and a good, cheap bar!! Plus it's always clean and has free coffee ALL day :)

Highly recommend this place :)

• Stayed: March 2014