“Loved It!”

Ranked #23 of 103 Hotels in Medellin
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Loved It!”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Great location in El Poblado, great breakfast and walking distance from many cafes and restaurants. Definitely hit the Buddha Bar down the road. It is a hostel but the bar/bartender upstairs were great. He even ordered food for us to be delivered at 2 am.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jennyinftl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
NY
Reviewed 24 September 2013

The good: if you want to be in El Poblado near Parque Lleras, the location is excellent. Breakfast was good. Check-in was quick, and we never waited long for the elevator. Wi-fi worked well.

The not-so-good: added taxes and "security" brought the price of a so-called superior double room to $93--a poor value for a fairly small and awkwardly-shaped room. This was one of the noisiest hotels I have ever booked. Even on the top floor, street noise was easy to hear. Add that to: walls so thin that you can hear your neighbors quite clearly; an infernal, non-stop, high-pitched noise from some machine near the top floor; and a poor hallway design that amplifies any noise outside of your room. And add that to a bed as hard as a rock. I didn't get a minute of sleep.

The inexcusable: upon check-in we noted that there was water on much of the bathroom floor, presumably from a slowly leaking toilet bowl. We told the staff at the front desk but they never addressed this problem, not even sending someone with a mop.

Rather than asking again, we just checked out the next day. For $25 more we found a much nicer hotel.

I realize that the majority of the reviews for this hotel are favorable. Although Acqua is not a complete dump, I am unable to understand why other people were so happy with it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank BobMyr
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 August 2013

The staff at Acqua is incredible; from the moment we checked in they were attentive to our every need. I got very sick during my travels and the hotel manager helped me find a lab and a doctor who could read the results and help me get what I needed. MIL GRACIAS! The hotel is perfectly located in the upbeat Poblado neighborhood, making it easy to get out and about, and around.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Scotland
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed in Acqua Express for 6 nights during a recent trip to Medellin, we decided to go to Medellin at the last minute and we arrived on the last weekend of the Medellin Flower Festival, during our stay we wanted to stay in Zona Rosa Area, it was difficult to find accommodation in the Zona Rosa Area because of the Flower Festival, we are currently travelling through Colombia and the Acqua Express is above what we would normally like to pay, we paid the equivalent of £40 for the room per night, this rate also included a buffet breakfast, we both thought the breakfast was good, most days I had a big breakfast, the breakfast was so big that I didn’t require anything else to eat until the evening, most mornings we went down for breakfast around 9am and it was fine, plenty of choice and it wasn’t overcrowded, we had a late night on Saturday night in the local bars/clubs, on the Sunday morning I went down for breakfast at 9.50 (ten minutes before they stop serving) and it was a bit chaotic, I put that down to the hotel been busier on the weekend and people staying in bed longer after a night on the tiles, we’ve all been there, wake up late then the mad rush to go and get some breakfast before they stop serving!

We found all the workers at the hotel to be very helpful, from the staff at the main reception to the house keepers and the staff serving breakfast, rooms were very clean and were serviced every day, rooms have fancy new flat screen tv’s with plenty of channels to chose from, on-suite bathrooms were nice and the shower was excellent

One thing we noticed about the hotel is the thickness of the walls in the rooms, unfortunately a couple of the nights during our stay our neighbours in the hotel came home late, I am not sure why people feel the need to put on the tv loud at 3 and 4am!

There are plenty of places in the area round the hotel to eat, if you like eating local food try restaurant 3-Tipico’s, its less than 5 minutes away from the hotel, really nice food and great prices, try the Ajiaco or Mondongo soups if you are hungry......... yum yum

I would recommend this hotel and would stay here again

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lucas69
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This is one of those hotels were you have a great stay, but can't help to feel it could have been even better.

The hotel is small and charming, with a very nice lobby and a great location near La 10 and Parque Lleras.

The room was comfortable with modern fixtures, but there were small details that we couldn't help to notice like lose fitting on the ceiling, price stickers in the shower railing, or stains in one wall. Not that those things had any meaningful impact on our stay, but you do feel the hotel could do much better if they just paid attention to those little details.

In addition, breakfast - albeit good - felt a bit disorganized and even chaotic at times.

Now, don't get me wrong, I would and have recommended this hotel. We had a very positive experience there. It's just that is shame when a hotel that could be really great falls just short of that for not paying the right level of attention to detail.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NovDoh
Washington, DC
Reviewed 20 July 2013

First, the hotel staff, while business-like, was not at all friendly. Second, the rooms were not very good, and quite noisy. Third the breakfast was not very good.

If I paid a lower price or the place had more poor reviews I would not have been surprised by the hotel. They also added a 16% VAT which as a non-colombian i the country for less then 60 days I 'm not suppose to pay. Unfortunately I did pay, and didn't find out I was exempt until later at another hotel.

For the price of this hotel, there are FAR better options.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank paultman
Nebraska
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Great place to stay,and right in the heart of the Zona Rosa area in the El Poblado district of the city of Medellin,Colombia.
The hotel was very nice,and modern had a very helpful and hard working staff,was close to everything a person could need,taxi's were at a fare price and there were three nice shopping malls close by,just minutes away from the hotel in a taxi.my stay was for a week and i had a great time,meant some nice people,and ate some wonderful food.
The day manager Judy didn't smile much but do not let that fool you,as the lady has a heart of GOLD,i would without a doubt stay here again on my next trip to Medellin and would also highly recommend it to family and friends who are looking for a nice hotel at a very fare price.

Room Tip: would ask for a room on the 3rd floor to the 7th floor.