“Is this really an Intercontinental??”

InterContinental Medellin
Ranked #13 of 103 Hotels in Medellin
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Is this really an Intercontinental??”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is my second stay at this hotel. The first was in 2009. It is on the main road into town, about 30-40 minutes from the Intl airport.

Upon entering the lot, you can tell it is dated. It looks tired. The lobby isn't so bad, but it is still dated. There is a restaurant on the main floor but I didn't try it. During our brief 12 hour stay, they had to shut down the water main from 12 AM-4 AM. This didn't present an inconvenience to me, but it could have for others. They allowed for the inconvenience by providing drinking water free of charge.

The room was not very nice. It was hot upon entering (although the A/C was efficient and cooled it down pretty quickly) and the carpet was disgusting (room 651). It is so need of cleaning, that I am surprised they haven't either replaced it, cleaned it or make it unavailable. They room also had an adjoining door to the room next door, which I am not a big fan of.

It was difficult to find a plug in the room to use my computer. I was forced to climb on the nasty carpet to plug it in. For the coffee pot, which I was happy to have, I had to take it into the bathroom to make coffee because there wasn't a place to accommodate its short cord.

The bathroom was adequate, but not large. It too was outdated.

The room had Wi-Fi and it worked well. However, I wouldn't call this a business friendly room. The lack of plugs is inconvenient.

I understand that there was a nice swimming pool and tennis court, but I didn't get to see them.

Overall, it's really hard to recommend this place. Except for the convenience, and lack of other national hotel chains in Medellin, I likely wouldn't stay here again until it is updated.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Medellin, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear OrbExplorer,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. I have taken note of your comments regarding the carpets. Thank you for bringing these to our attention. We will address these with our housekeeping department to improve the quality and service that we offer to our guests.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope that we can better serve you next time.

Connie D
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This hotel is not a tourist friendly hotel. I think it;s more for a business client. The hotel pool is locked with a fence and the hotel lobby bar is closed most of the time after 9pm. Don't expect English speaking front desk personal all the time. I was there for 1 week and had many problems.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank DanL249
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Medellin, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear DanL249,

Thank you for staying with us and for leaving us a review of our property. I am very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I want to assure you that our hotel is proud of its level of service and quality. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay.

Again, thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

John O
İstanbul
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I have been in several 5 stars hotel, however, Intercontinental Medellin is giving less than your expectations. The rooms are not new, the window of my my rooms was broken and it is not fixed although I called twice. The carpets were also looking old and dirty. You can not get that 5* quality feeling in this hotel.

The breakfast is good.

While I was checking out, I noticed that in my room service bill, there were foods that I did not consume. I struggled to explain them the problem for 20 minutes and they decided not to charge me for those.

My strongest suggestion is always carefully check your room service bill before leaving.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Medellin, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Baris U,

Thank you for posting a review about our property. It is nice to read that you enjoyed our breakfast items. However, it seems that we failed to meet your expectations with regard to the overall condition of the room. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this has caused. Should you travel back to Medellin, we look forward to serving you again and hopefully see the improvements made.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Managua, Nicaragua
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The hotel is nice but old. Service is great as you'd expect, but hall ways smelled of mold. The pictures of the ribs at the restaurant were nice ribs. What was served was the 1/2 inch on either side of the spinal cord so lots of grizzle and not much meat.

Room Tip: ask about mold issues
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Medellin, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear mike c,

Thank you for your recent stay and for writing a review. We’re glad to know you enjoyed the service from our staff and we thank you for your kind words. On the other hand, we are very sorry you were not satisfied with one of the food selections from the restaurant. This and your concerns regarding the hallway conditions have been noted. We will certainly look at these points to focus on improving guest satisfaction.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We hope to serve you again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
All over Europe
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed 10 days with the Intercontinental for a conference and would compare this hotel to that old pet dog you have that is a little shaggy, a little haggard, but a good friend that you wouldn't want to part with. The rooms are dated, somewhat of a time machine taking you back to the days that pastels were considered good decorating taste, and the bathrooms layered with some "unique" tiling, but the bed was extremely comfortable and the room was clean. I had a room at the back of the hotel so unfortunately I was serenaded by the sound of fans and machinery if I dared to open the window. The hotel itself is a little ways out of town perched up on a hill, but taxi connections are frequent. The food is okay when viewed from the point of view of sustenance and calories only. What really sets this place apart are the staff - polite, so very helpful, and will go out of their way to make sure you are enjoying your stay. I really can not say enough positive things about them as they still stand out as exceptional hosts for my stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Medellin, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Dear TripTestDummy,

Thank you for staying with us and taking time to post a review of our property. It is good to know that you found your room clean and comfortable. We are also pleased to know that you found our staff polite and very helpful. We strive every day to create special experiences one guest at a time and we are truly happy you enjoyed your stay with us.

On the other hand, we recognize your feedback about hotel's overall design, we will take this into consideration as to improve the quality of our products and service.

Thank you once again for staying with us and we look forward to being of service to you should your travels bring you back to the area.

John O
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The common areas are updated and clean including a large outdoor eating area that overlooks the pool and landscaped grounds. The guest rooms are in need of a facelift, particularly the carpet in the two guest rooms I utilized. My room was clean and a good size, just worn out. The staff was helpful and courteous.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Medellin, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Amy A,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you found our hotel staff to be very helpful and accommodating. I hope your stay was enjoyable and comfortable for us to have the chance to welcome you back in the future.

I am sorry to hear though that some of our rooms did not live up to your expectations. I have forwarded your comments to our hotel management for proper upgrade to make you next stay better.

Kind regards,

Faith R
London
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

At The price I was charged this was exceptional value. The hotel is looking a bit tired and the rooms could do with some refurbishment. Having said that there was no mold growing in the bathroom! The staff are extremely friendly as most people in Medellin are. The grounds of the hotel are very nice and it has a very large swimming pool. I had lost my swimming goggles earlier in my trip and the gym assistant kindly lent me his own. The breakfast is okay, but nothing special. There is no place to walk around but the centre of town is about 10 minutes away by taxi. I had to spend a Sunday here before working on the Monday and it was a good place to spend a day, going to the gym and having a swim in the pool.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
InterContinentalM, Director de Relaciones Públicas at InterContinental Medellin, responded to this review, 2 October 2015
Thank You for writing a review about your stay with us, we hope to have you back soon.

Social Media Team